[て-form]
and…
conjunctive

Structure

• い-Adj.[ ] → おもしろ → おもしろく
  • な-Adj.[ ] → しずか → しずか
  • Noun[ ] → 先生 → 先生
  • Exception: いい → よく

[With its meaning being well approximated with the English “and,” the て-form’s basic function is to connect clauses, sentences, verbs, etc.]

[Depending on context (the relationship between connected clauses), the meaning can be further specified to express: a sequence of actions, a reason/cause, a means/manner of doing something, requests, and actions in parallel states]

View on Bunpro

1 Like

None of the examples are actual sentences. Do you just use this like “and” in english? Like…
魚で肉を食べる。(I eat fish and meat.)
or…
私の車は千咲で赤いです。(My car is small and red.)

1 Like

@GregX999 Hey! This grammar point just covers the conjugations of the て-form with adjectives and nouns. Make sure to check out Adjective[て] + B in the following lesson and the grammar that appears in the Related Grammar section at the bottom of the Meaning page for example sentences.

You are correct that this grammar point is approximated with the English “and.” The て-form’s basic function is to connect clauses, sentences, verbs, etc. Depending on the context (the relationship between connected clauses), the meaning can be further specified to express: a sequence of actions, a reason/cause, a means/manner of doing something, requests, and actions in parallel states. Cheers!

1 Like

Hey uhh, I don’t know if it is just me but the grammar point that is on bunpro right now is terrible. It’s just a mess of arrows and + signs and I really don’t have a clue what it is trying to say. The grammar point that pushindawood has up there makes a lot more sense then whatever is on the site. It seems like a pretty simple point but what does
"

Structure

[い]Adjective[て] → [い]Adjective[]+ く + おもしろい → おもしろ + く + → おもしろくて
[な]Adjective[て] → [な]Adjective + しずか → しずか + → しずか
Noun[で] → Noun + 先生 → 先生 + → 先生

Exceptions: いい → よくて
"
I mean what is that? I don’t know how to read that at all please send help.

1 Like

I assume you’ve read the structured legend yeah? Instead of just having the end-point conjugation it walks you through every step and what you’ll need to add in each said step. For i-adjective in particular it’s basically saying first you remove the い, then you add く, then you implement て (not で, for example).

I think you’re confused because there’s a spacing issue on the main grammar page. after く+て for i-adjectives, おもしろ xxxxxx should be on a new line in ( ) to show the example in work. A dev can jump in and answer better, but I think that seems to be the case. This is a common flow-chart for grammar points on the site (the arrows, etc.) but I don’t remember them looking like this. Perhaps something got a lil’ messed up when some formatting changes happened awhile ago? At least you understand the grammar point :wink:

1 Like

I tried checking the legend but I was kind of frustrated at that point so it didn’t help. But ya I think I’m confused because of the spacing, I can’t tell where one step starts or ends. I just wanted to say something because if you don’t say anything they wont know that someone found it confusing.

1 Like

@Superpnut
Thank you for the feedback!
I am extremely sorry for the problems :bowing_man:

I have improved the readability:

Is it clear? What is your opinion?

3 Likes

Ya now even a dummy like me can understand it! Thanks for listening

1 Like

:partying_face:
We always listen to the feedback! :wink:

1 Like

Why do we learn this point so much later than other points that use more specific examples of [adjective]くて? Doing my reviews for those earlier points has been so confusing because I can never remember why I’m adding these く (except for くない which I internalized quickly). I’m wondering if I missed something.

I don’t understand the conjugation for this review question. The answer is きらいて, but きらい is an い-adjective (right?), so the rules seem to suggest きらくて.

Confused :no_mouth:

きらい is な adjective so it should be 嫌いで

It looks like an い adjective and there’s so way to tell it’s not in this case, it’s one you just have to remember. Don’t worry, it’s one of few

Thank you!

1 Like