な Adjectives - Grammar Discussion

adjectives

Structure

• なAdjective + だ
  • なAdjective + + Noun

:warning: Some な-Adjectives can end in い
(きれい)

View on Bunpro

I think for easier understanding you should note here that な is left off when next to a Verb. Right now this can be easily missed. Especially since this is a big difference in usage compared to い-Adjectives.

な-Adjective + [] + だ / です

な-Adjective + な + Noun

2 Likes

Next to a verb? In those cases shouldn’t you use に to make it an adverb?

By the way, @mrnoone, is there even a grammar point for changing な-adjectives into adverbs? Or for い-adjectives for that matter?

1 Like

It is on the to-do list, we haven’t decided on level yet.

2 Likes

No I meant more like point out more clearly the difference between:
綺麗 な 絵え。
あれは綺麗 です。

Omitting the な in the second example, whereas in the first it needs to stay.

With い adjectives the い stays in both examples.
新しい 絵え。
あれは新しい です。

2 Likes

So nothing to do with verbs, but I get what you mean now.

1 Like

It’s been a while since you posted it but your comment answered my question. The site isn’t very clear about when na is omitted and you said it in plain english. Ty

1 Like

Unlike with い adjectives which all end with い. な adjectives do NOT all end with な (almost all of them don’t). For example, if you look in the dictionary there will be 綺麗 but not 綺麗な.

な adjectives get their name from how you add な when you want to use a な adjective to describe a noun (when you want to put the な adjective in attributive form).

This structure is shown on this site’s page for the grammar point as " な-Adjective + な + Noun"

Thanks…but the homie Andulien already said that three years ago. That’s why I told him thanks even though it had been a long time. Thank you for being helpful and I appreciate you helping me. How long have you been learning japan because you know so much. Kind of jealous because I’ve been really struggling but that is mostly because I am what is commonly referred to as “dumb as hell”.

Andulien’s perspective of there always being a な is a nonstandard way of analyzing things. You could similarly say there is always a だ after な adjectives except in cases where there isn’t and that would be just as valid as his view.

The standard way to look at it is that you just have the な adjective and then you add stuff based off how you use it.

But he didn’t say there is always a な except when there isn’t…
All he said is that there isn’t a な when the adjective is next to a verb.
And I was showing appreciation because I was trying to figure out why there wasn’t a な
Anyways it doesn’t matter I have some more basic grammar points to struggle to understand

If you read his posts you can see he used words like “left off” and “omit.” And in the way he compares な adjectives to い adjectives, he makes me think that he believed that な adjectives have a な at the end of them.

As mentioned earlier in the thread if you want to use a な adjective on a verb you need to use に after the な adjective instead of な.