AI based Japanese grammar checker (文法ーCHECK)

They certainly do, in fact the way I implemented bunpo-check is a part of speech tagging problem
(by which I mean token-level classification); I assigned labels of 0 for unimportant tokens, 1 for correct tokens and 2 for incorrect tokens which is not dissimilar to assigning a 0 for verbs, 1 for nouns etc. This type of thing is really easy with the huggingface API, when I get a minute to clean up my code for the model training I’ll put it on the github and you could probably just use the same setup. So yeah, as long as you have a large enough dataset, making a part of speech tagger should be fairly simple.

1 Like

Very cool project, as I software engineer myself I’m a bit jealous that you put this together before I had the chance to! Seriously though, great work and thanks!

1 Like

Don′t know if this is along the lines of what you were thinking, but imma leave this here → https://ichi.moe/

it’s a vastly underappreciated website, tbh
using this in conjunction with @gilledtothegills’ site to check my work has been a blast. Inputting my sentences that have turned up /incorrect/ on 文法check into the ichi.moe tool has taught me quite a bit about what not to do and which forms to avoid, etc.

1 Like

Update :partying_face:

A big update which has been a long time coming! Starting today, 文法ーCHECK now offers suggestions for fixing your sentence.

After hitting check, underlines will appear under any mistakes. Tap an underlined section to see the suggestion for fixing it.

Note that this is still a work in progress and might give incorrect results as always. :slight_smile: Any and all feedback is welcome. I’m going to continue to work to make the accuracy better and better over time.

Thanks for everyone’s support until now! :heart:

8 Likes

How does it compare with using ChatGPT?

Amazing tool! I checked a few sentences and it detected minor details and correctly suggested how to fix them.

Thank you so much for your excellent work. I hope more people get to know it, as it is proving so useful.

In the future, it would be interesting to have some feedback on why something is wrong/better, such as a grammar explanation linked to the underlined section.

2 Likes

So awesome to see updates like this nearly 2 years later!! Will take it for a spin later and see how it is, congratulations though nonetheless~~ :surfing_man:

2 Likes

I am learning Japanese right now, and this website is a lifesaver when I’m stuck on something confusing.

Will there be a dark mode? It’s a bit too bright for me.

1 Like

This is such a cool idea! I’m looking forward to using this. I still struggle with output and I feel like this’ll be a godsend and allow me to better use my teachers’ time! Thank you for continuing to work on it!

This has been a useful tool for me, thanks. I actually put through a mini-essay that I wrote myself and was already checked by a native Japanese speaker for errors and honestly, I think it now throws back too many suggestions so that the authors voice becomes lost. Not saying what I wrote was literary masterpiece, but it was grammatically correct and natural. However, this suggested changing a lot of things like ~たほうがいい to べき and suggested removing はず entirely.

2 Likes

Using GPT models / openAI API or something else?

1 Like

Hey, am I the only one who can no longer use this due to server errors? I can’t put in any sentences, nor can I register for an account…

I really loved this website when I was able to use it, and other Japanese grammar checkers really don’t measure up in comparison to this masterpiece

2 Likes

Yeah, it is unfortunate.

This is the one I’ve been using since:

https://sapling.ai/lang/japanese

It’s been working pretty well for me. Have you tried this one yet?

2 Likes

@Jose7822 Yup, I’ve tried it. It wasn’t able to catch certain non-native errors, like using こと when it should have been の or とこ… I feel like this is something that bunpo-check would have caught easily

I know what you mean but, given that there are no better grammar checkers (at least that I know of), we are kinda stuck with it. Or you can choose not to use any, of course. That’s also an option.

Yeah I’m just not using other grammar checkers for the moment

1 Like

Apologies guys for the downtime! There were various issues on the site and it was a busy few months for me so I didn’t get around to fixing things…
Should be all good now, please let me know if there are issues! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great news!! Glad to have your site back, thank you :pray:.

1 Like

Update!! :zap:

Today, I pushed an update where I completely re-wrote the site and added a bunch of new features:

• explanations :speech_balloon: for suggestions that can be discussed with the AI
  • the ability to have general discussions :speech_balloon: with the AI about Japanese grammar
  • tone check mode :white_check_mark: - check casual/normal/keigo text
  • undo, redo etc. functionality for making the editor easier to use, especially on mobile :gear:

Thanks to everyone for all their great suggestions and feedback which were my inspiration in making these changes! :blush:

Hope that everyone enjoys the new features. Let me know if you have any issues or any other ideas to share. I have some other features I want to add soon too, so stay tuned!

4 Likes

I was excited to give it try, until it told me to sign in with Google or Microsoft. Is there any reason it needs that information?