And here those frenchies!

Well, actually I am belgian and my mother langage is french. So here is the point : as it is better to learn a foreign language in your own one, while using wanikani I translated everything in french in the synonim case. So my question is : should it be possible to use the self study for the same purpose and taking that answer in place of the english one ? I already tried but I only created a supplementary sentence.
But anyway, Bunpro is great.
Greetings,

Pierre-Igor

3 Likes

I’m also not a native English speaker, but I find it easier to study Japanese in English. Both grammar and vocabulary. But that can of course depend on your level of English. If you have to translate everything… well, maybe it would be better to study English first :slight_smile:

And in relation to the above - another good thing about doing it that way - I was actually able to learn quite a few new English words this way.

But frankly, resources for studying Japanese available in other languages are lacking compared to the wast array of stuff available in English, so I can’t imagine doing it in any other way, personally.

Just my two cents :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Strange answer. I am non native English speaker as well, and I found it hard to believe that it would be easier to learn a second language from English when you are not already mastering it. The fact is that every language has nuances, and unless you are fully bilingual you will not be able to comprehend the nuances, and therefore you will transpose your misunderstanding onto your native language. I second Pierre, it would be nice to be able to change language, however it might be difficult to implement. Let’s see

2 Likes

でしょう、ね。 Thank you for supporting me. That being said, I found a base for transpose bunpro in French, since there is an available anki file. But it would take a huge amount of time. What is your language, cenon?

1 Like

Francophone de naissance, je vis aux EUA actuellement. Maîtrisant l’anglais convenablement, si vous avez des problèmes de compréhension de l’anglais, surtout n’hésitez pas, j’essaierai de vous aider. Bonne journée.

1 Like

@Cenon33650 @pierre-igor-frichete @Kuromaku

Hey,
I thought about it for some time, and came to conclusion that another mode can be created. Basically, instead of translation, the explanation of grammar point in simple Japanese would be used.
I think it would improve understanding, since you would not really know English approximation, but function of the word instead. It could be easily used by all people regardless of their language of origin. To help those people, GUI could be translated.

What do you think about the idea?

5 Likes

I’m also not a native English speaker (German is my native language), so I’ll just join the discussion :slight_smile:

The idea of having grammar explained in simple Japanese sounds good to me – but also like it’d be a ton of work for you guys (after all, there’s a lot of grammar points). Plus, especially on the lower levels, I think one may not really have the vocabulary, nor the grammar to even be able to make sense of it (I certainly still struggle sometimes with example sentences – if a key piece of vocabulary is missing, it can be tricky to figure sentences out). But if it’s some kind of switch that one could flip to switch from Japanes eto English, then it’d also serve as a great additional source of reading practice, I suppose.

2 Likes

This is a matter of course :grinning:

At the moment it is just an idea, and I think it would only work for N4+ grammar points.

2 Likes

Can you give an example of how that would look like?

1 Like

Having the explanation in simple Japanese would be really cool and probably be a great idea for everybody. It would also make Bunpro perfect for advanced learners too who may want to have just Japanese when reviewing grammar points.

In some of the JLPT drill books they have the explanation of the grammar in a really simplified format.

For example:
~し、~し。https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/141
A way to connect reasons together.

In the textbook the explanation would be something like one of these:

• 理由1、 理由2 。。。 (reason 1, reason 2, etc)

It could be really frustrating initially though as one is learning Japanese in Japanese! (It was for me).

It would be really useful as a second way to explain the grammar point. The main problem is that the explanations need to be really simple :smiley: so that there is no / little friction in learning the new grammar point and build confidence in one’s understanding of the Japanese language.

2 Likes

I use everything in English that way I can practice Japanese as well. Actually, learning Japanese helped me improve my English even more.

PS: Utilise cette chance pour améliorer ton Anglais aussi :smiley:

2 Likes

@Noursaidana @Kuromaku @zerohbeat

Something like this:

父は思い出を語っている:「小学校の時の引っ越し____、母さんに出会えた。」

Hint: 物事を始める原因

(answer: がきっかけで・をきっかけに)

This is just an idea for the time being :+1:

7 Likes

Any source on this?

The fact is also that because of those nuances, you will not be able to translate for example Japanese to English and keep all the nuances. Those you will learn only by using the language enough. The translations are already approximations, so the “noise” that will come from that won’t account to much. Unless your English is really bad of course, and can’t understand the whole meaning.

I like this! Perfect!

1 Like

I also really like this idea!

1 Like

Chiming in: I really like this idea as well.

I think the best option is to have all hints in Japanese, I love that idea. Now and then I even re-write the bunpro grammar point chart into Japanese in my notes.

but… since I had a thought I’ll blue sky it here:
It might also be cool (but more difficult than I’d know. :woman_shrugging: ) to add a “user hints” button you could create your own hints with. I’d love it to add things like 動詞ー>名詞 for my hints (answer is 動詞+こと)but since the main issue here is language barrier, I suppose it’d have to be a hint button for each individual sentence, not the grammar point itself. Non-English learners could translate the more challenging hint sentences they are struggling with into their native language; even working together on the forums.

Although other users may cheat, there’s no real draw to do it, since Bunpro allows access to the whole site from the start and already lets you work at your own pace :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was in the same situation as the OP, except in reverse. I am a native English speaker but am strong in French and I was learning Japanese through French Assimil. I wouldn’t have wanted the translations in English, though, because they were already excellent in French. French translation and then a French word-by-word mapping to the Japanese. Many people would say Japanese is impossible to break down word-for-word, but check out Assimil. If it was done in French, it can be done in English. I also love the idea of simple Japanese used as hints, but I think the primo option for me would be to keep things as they are or to add an option for word-by-word English mapping. That would be very labor intensive though but many people on here are capable of undertaking that project. I’ve read several helpful community posts where someone explained grammar in just this way. Example: Tomorrow, test, I have, so, if no study, it won’t work/it won’t go. It is possible to map Japanese to English for every sentence like this on Bunpro. Keeping the literal translation like we already have which is great, plus the word-by-word mapping could be added as well.

2 Likes

I’m not a native English speaker either (I am from Luxembourg, so my languages are Luxembourgish, German, French, English - in that order), but I prefer English to a fully Japanese site. By using Japanese explanations you would exclude those not yet fluent enough in Japanese. As for me it would take me much more time to read and understand the explanations, with a heavy use of google translate and jisho.