Announcement! - N3 Vocabulary fixes - 9/9

こんにちは!
I hope you all are doing great :blush:

大変お待たせいたしました!I’m happy to announce that the Japanese sentences check for the N3 vocabulary is finally complete! I’ve gone through all the furigana that were automatically generated (as mentioned in the last announcement about N5 and N4 Vocabulary here) and carefully checked each Japanese sentence for any errors or unnaturalness!

Let me show you some examples of corrected furigana:

Corrected Furigana Examples :herb:

• 万人(まんにん → ばんにん)

まんにん is used when counting people such as 一万人 (いちまんにん - 10,000 people) or 十万人 (じゅうまんにん - 100,000 people), etc. When 万人 means “all people” or “everyone”, ばんにん is the correct furigana.

• 町中(まちなか→まちじゅう)

まちじゅう indicates “all over the town” or “all residents of the town,” depending on the context, while まちなか indicates “in/inside the town” (a place where houses and stores are clustered). In the context of the sentence below, both furigana are actually acceptable. By choosing まちじゅう as the furigana, I aim to convey the impression that the information about the discount is spread to every corner of the town.

• 柄(がら→え)

When the furigana is がら, it means a pattern. When the furigana is え, it means a handle or a grip.

• 通って(とおって→かよって)

When we read 通る as とおる, it means “walk through” or “go through”, and as かよう, it means (regularly) go to somewhere like this example sentence.

As shown above, when kanji characters have different readings, some of their meanings change. On the other hand, certain kanji don’t change their meanings but have slight nuances when different furigana are applied. For example:

• 後(あと・のち・ご)

When 後 is used to mean 'after (time)’, it can be read as あと, のち, and ご. あと would be the most common furigana used in colloquial speech and can refer to either immediately after or some time after. のち is a more formal word and indicates only after some time has passed. ご is typically used after a noun, such as 食後 (after a meal), 運動後 (after exercise), 死後 (after death), etc.

In the sentence, 後 follows after a verb, so the appropriate furigana should be あと or のち. But the timing for loosening the belt would be considered right after eating, not a while after eating, so this time I’ve changed the furigana from のち to あと for this context.

Furigana for the numbers :herb:

We have received feedback indicating that it can be a bit challenging to determine the readings of numbers with multiple possible readings when written in Arabic numbers. For instance, the number 7 can be read as なな, しち, and so on. In some cases, both furigana, such as 7人 (ななにん or しちにん - seven people), are acceptable. However, some words commonly use one reading, such as 7時 (しちじ - seven o’clock), 7割 (ななわり - seventy percent), and 7日 (なのか - seven days).

Note:
*These readings may vary depending on regions or dialects.
*しち (seven) may be misheard as いち (one) especially during phone conversation even among native speakers. So, it is sometimes intentionally pronounces as なな (seven).

In our current system, we can provide furigana above kanji characters only. So, when encountering such numbers, we use kanji and provide furigana readings above them as much as possible. Using kanji for numbers may occasionally make sentences appear longer, but our priority is to ensure that users do not feel overwhelmed by furigana, and saving them additional time for looking up furigana every time.

The N3 Vocabulary includes the word 十四 (じゅうし - fourteen), which can also have different furigana depending on the subsequent word, such as 十四歳 (じゅうよんさい - fourteen years old), 十四日 (じゅうよっか - fourteen days), and 十四年 (じゅうよねん - fourteen years). But no worries! In all these numbers, kanji characters are used along with furigana.

Thank you for all your supports, whether it’s through your feedback, engaging in the community forum, or any other means! I hope this update will improve your learning experience. While I’ve taken great care in checking, if you happen to spot an error, or any requests like ‘hey, I need furigana for this number too!’, please feel free to reach out at any time :bowing_woman:. Right now, I’m in the process of N2 vocabulary checking, so I’ll be back as soon as possible with the next announcement!

Hope you all have a wonderful day! 良い一日を!:raised_hands: :ear_of_rice:
Chihiro

33 Likes

N3の語彙を直してくれてありがとうございました!

良い週末を!

3 Likes

コメントありがとうございます :relaxed:Joseさんも良い週末をお過ごし下さい!

3 Likes

That’s great! Really looking forwards to N2 :grin:

2 Likes

Amazing work, @Chihiro -san! Thank you for the detailed post explaining some of the specific issues you worked to fix. Providing such detail really expands my appreciation of how much work is going into Bunpro! Very much appreciated! 🙇‍♂️🙏

4 Likes

Thank you! Good luck with your exam! :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

I’m happy to hear that! Thank you for your kind words and support always! It is really encouraging :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @Chihiro how is progress going on N2? I’ve started to learn the vocab N2 deck but it’s my first time to use a bunpro deck so I’m not sure I am using it correctly or it’s maybe it’s not been fully finished. When I do the review it always shows the Japanese word and I have to type in the English meaning. Is it possible for the review to show the example sentence and is it possible that sometimes it shows the English word and we have to type in the Japanese? Thank you for the help

Hi, @Kurikukku, thank you for your message! We’re currently working on the N2 Japanese sentence checks and translations, aiming to complete it within this year. Until then, only the ‘Translate Question’, which shows only a word, is available. :bowing_woman:
Once it’s finished, you’ll be able to do reviews by filling in a blank in a Japanese example sentence with a Japanese word as an answer, and seeing an English translation as a hint. We apologize for the inconvenience at this moment. We’ll make an announcement when everything is ready!

3 Likes

Ok thanks @Chihiro I look forward to it.

3 Likes