Bunpro Book club (Beginner)

Hopefully the staff that are participating (and some of the users as well) end up discussing grammar that comes up in the books. Especially things that people recognize as being either unique uses of something or things that are slightly higher level.

3 Likes

私も入る! :yum:

3 Likes

I’m in.

3 Likes

I’m in.

3 Likes

I’ve also been going through the PokeSpe series so I would love to take part in this! Read volume 1 a couple months ago but I definitely just skipped some parts where I just got a general idea so going through it in more detail with people sounds fun!

As an alternative and a pure book, the Kirby books are pretty fun and on the easy side, and they are easily available on Bookwalker.

3 Likes

I’m in too! Really looking forward to this!

As for book ideas, I’d second the Doraemon mention. But I’m still quite new to reading in Japanese so am quite flexible.

3 Likes

I’ll say I’m in, only because i already have some beginner level books that I could read in the meantime.

Potential grammar/vocab decks for these book clubs when custom decks are intorduced?

3 Likes

I’m in!

4 Likes

Yep! We have already discussed among the team about making custom decks to go along with the book club once they are enabled. This will be very easy to do once our wrapper is completed as well (a tool we are working on that can automatically read and divide any text into individual items of vocab and grammar).

12 Likes

Just out of curiosity, will this rule hold?:

ブック・クラブルールの第一 、ブック・クラブのことを明かすな。

6 Likes

I’m in !

3 Likes

In :sparkles:

2 Likes

A couple of suggestions for this level:

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Short-Stories-Beginners-Captivating/dp/1951949226/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_2/134-3212377-0732246?pd_rd_w=ZoQVZ&content-id=amzn1.sym.1ad2066f-97d2-4731-9356-36b3edf1ae04&pf_rd_p=1ad2066f-97d2-4731-9356-36b3edf1ae04&pf_rd_r=KA8AAFCKZKZQV933QEKH&pd_rd_wg=IirCE&pd_rd_r=4abf1e05-dccd-4399-94e8-080e6f2adbcc&pd_rd_i=1951949226&psc=1

This one is a very easy read, with furigana included, and the stories are short. They have the Japanese only version of each story first, followed by the Japanese with English translation afterwards. You can of course ignore the English translations if you choose to. At the end of each story, there’s a vocabulary list and questions about what was read.

https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Stories-Language-Learners-Bilingual/dp/4805314680

This other book has a similar format the one in the first link, but they start removing the furigana once the word has been introduced. In this book they have a page with the Japanese only, followed by the English translation on the next page, alternating in this manner. These are all well know Japanese stories. At the end you’ll have a vocabulary list and a questionnaire. Might be upper beginner, but I’m not sure.

3 Likes

ブック or ハグ ?

4 Likes

My nomination for this club: The first Miller-san book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07672PZKW/

Written as a supplement to the Minna no Nihongo textbook. It feels like a novel (or a selection of short stories) for adults, not a children’s book which is often recommended at this level. Still written with full furigana and limited grammar and vocab. I think it’s perfect for the level in this book club.

5 Likes

I’m in!

I’d like to suggest Ruri Dragon.
It’s about a girl who one day wakes up and finds that she has grown horns. Apparently, her dad is a dragon?! Her classmates are all welcoming about it and it seems like a wholesome story.

The manga seems easy because the vocabulary is limited and the lines are repetitive (many classmates asking the same thing).

I managed to read the first volume around the time that I took the JLPT N5 test in December (and barely passed) and had an okay comprehension. Volume 2 was harder as there is more dialog and less repetition.

There are 6 volumes in total and I figure that it’s better to start with something that’s too simple rather than too hard. We can always up the pages read per session.

3 Likes

I’m in!

I don’t have any suggestions but we can use LearnNatively to search for books at our level.

4 Likes

I’ve got both Yotsuba and Pokemon Special and I find the later far easier to read :slight_smile: But maybe, I can’t actually read either and the Pokemon knowledge is masking my uber crap Japanese lol

4 Likes

ブック、ブックだよ!ブックをハグしてもいいかも。 :smirk:

(I totally got the idea from that very line!)

3 Likes

Im in!
And I recommend Chi’s sweet home
it has a cat

11 Likes