Bunpro Sentence Fixes! (22/02/2023)

Hi Everyone! :sunglasses:

This is just a quick notification of one of the particular tasks that the content team is working on this month. :studio_microphone:

:thinking: What’s Happening? :thinking:

We are going through every sentence in every grammar path and altering them to better reflect what a native speaker would expect to hear in any given situation, while still adhering to the grammar restrictions of that level.

Basically, we are making many, many, very small changes to the existing sentences based on the recommendations of a native speaker that we had go through all of the content for us recently.

We asked this native speaker to be as strict as possible, and change anything that would give them pause if it was a sentence that they saw in some form of media written by another native speaker.

:mantelpiece_clock: Timeline? :mantelpiece_clock:

The fixes themselves should be finished very quickly, but replacing the fixed sentences’ audio will take a little bit longer (potentially up to a month beyond when the sentences themselves are fixed due to limited availability of recording time). Due to this, we ask for all of your patience in regard to fixing the audio, and not to flood the site feedback with reports of the audio being incorrect.

:hammer_and_wrench: What Type of Fixes? :hammer_and_wrench:

In the vast majority of cases, the fixes being applied to the sentences are very small, such as adding or changing the particle that was used. In other cases, a larger portion of certain sentences may be changed due to the grammar point in question being better reflected by a slightly different style of sentence.

Once all of these fixes have been made, it is our hope that it will be very noticeable, if not on a conscious level, then definitely on a subconscious level. While going through the document of recommendations, I stopped many times myself and thought ‘ahhh yep, that’s much nicer’, so I am hoping all of you experience the same feeling!

As always, thanks for the support everyone! :partying_face: This is only one of the more minor things that we are doing to improve Bunpro this year, but it is certainly something that we feel will make the overall experience much better in terms of ‘feeling’ the naturalness of the content.

We hope that you are all having a fantastic week, and that this project turns out to be one more thing that elevates your user experience as part of the Bunpro family :tm:

23 Likes

Thank you! :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Awesome idea, and thank you!

1 Like

Thank you so much! There’s been a few before that I’ve asked my partner about, but he’s by no means a linguist so couldn’t really place it other than “It sounds very slightly off”. Looking forward to them being straightened out!

2 Likes

A suggestion for after these fixes are done is to have a toggle for which sentences in each grammar point are used for reviews. This way the no hint option becomes much more usable. Since you typically need to memorize the sentence to use that option.