V(ぬ) → 死 → 死 なせる
V(ぶ) → 飛 → 飛 ばせる
V(む) → 休 → 休 ませる
V(ぐ) → 泳 → 泳 がせる

:warning: Irregular Verbs :warning:

するさせる
くるこさせる

:warning: [に or を can mark the doer]

Causative is used when someone makes or lets someone do something. Since it is an ambiguous expression, the exact meaning depends on context. However, Verb[causative][て] + くれる・もらう・あげる more often means “let.”

Both に and を can mark the doer of the action. に normally implies “let,” while を implies “make.” There are exceptions.

View on Bunpro

for the sentence Babies cannot eat on their own, so we have to make them eat .,
why for example can’t たべさせなければいけない be the answer?

@eran Hey! Since this sentence is not testing “have to” or “must,” but the causative, we include “[causative + なきゃいけない]” as a hint. “たべさせなければいけない” is grammatical and would work in this sentence, we just wanted everyone to focus on conjugating for the causative without worrying about which form to use for “have to” or “must.” You should be seeing these types of hints appear in the answer blank (in the Japanese sentence) before you type your answer. Cheers!

1 Like

My textbook says that the one being caused to do something is marked with an を when what they are being caused to do is intransitive, and a に when what they are being caused to do is transitive. I don’t see any mention of this in the explanation, but all of the example sentences fit the pattern. Is this untrue? I feel like if it is true it should probably be included in the grammar point. My textbook is Situational Functional Japanese.

just to clarify, based on the notes in the grammar point I was led to believe

先生が私をコヒーを作らせました。would mean, my teacher made me make coffee - if を in fact carries the nuance of to make someone do something.

But my teachers are saying the correct sentence is actually

先生が私にコヒーを作らせました。Which can mean either let or made with the differentiator either being context or a 〜て下さった・〜てくれった to imply having done me the favor of letting me.

Hi everyone! I have a question. How can you turn this into negative? For example, if I want to say “XX person didn’t permit YY person to do this and that”? Thanks!

1 Like

Good question! In this kind of sentence, most of the time it will be implied that someone did not do something ‘for you’, so you would combine させる with てくれる.

お母さんは私にダンスの習い事をさせてくれなかった。
‘My mom didn’t let me do dance practice’

If you were talking about someone else, you would probably use the てあげる structure instead of くれる. or just させなかった by itself.

1 Like