Daily Stroke Order Practice

2024年2月1日「木」

漢字:人
訓読み:ひと
音読み:ジン、ニン
Jisho Page and WaniKani Page

メモ:One of the kanji associated with the Japanese word for “Index Finger”, and one of the first kanji people tend to learn in their journey. Simple, but essential!

That does seem like an important word to know. It seems like diagonal, curved lines are always the most difficult to write out. I’ll make sure to give it a try here soon, thank you for the suggestion!

3 Likes

2024年2月2日「金」

漢字:差
訓読み:さ.す、さ.し
音読み:サ

2024年2月3日「土」
漢字:中
訓読み:なか、うち、あた.る
音読み:チュウ

メモ:With this, we have now 「人差し指」、or “Index Finger”, and 「中指」、for “Middle Finger”. Just a few more finger related Kanji to go for the whole set!

3 Likes

2024年2月4日「日」

漢字:薬
訓読み:くすり
音読み:ヤク

メモ:Today we have 「薬」of 「薬指」、meaning “Ring Finger”. At 16 strokes, it might seem difficult, but 7 of them equate to small dots on the character, so it’s very manageable. I also feel that 楽 and 薬 are very recognizable kanji, to the point that is it hard to mistake them for anything else.

4 Likes

2024年2月5日「月」

漢字:小
訓読み:ちい.さい、こ-、お-、さ-
音読み:ショウ

2024年2月6日「火」

漢字:先
訓読み:さき、ま.ず
音読み:セン

メモ:I was too busy to post yesterdays, so I’ll combine them both into a single post here.

With 小、we now have the whole family, 親指、人差し指、中指、薬指、小指!

With 先、we also now have 指先、or “Fingertip”, part of every finger.

Soon I’ll be taking a body-related Kanji break to focus on some other Kanji, as well as suggestions I’ve received in the meantime. Feel free to add more suggestions below.

6 Likes

I definitely need to practice handwriting and stroke order too. I don’t handwrite very often, and I know some general stroke-order conventions that serve me well enough when I do, but there are still some kanji I just can never get right.

I think I’ll join in starting with the kanji from character names in the book I’m reading, if you don’t mind?

2 Likes

Of course I don’t mind!

Feel free to post here as well, you can follow along with me or do your own thing, maybe we can even trade suggestions for what Kanji to do.

The main point of this thread was not only to keep me accountable for learning daily, but to hopefully inspire more people to work on their own handwriting, along with matt_in_mitoさん’s Thread, as it was his daily character thread that inspired me to work on my handwriting and try Calligraphy for the first time.

Thank you for asking!

3 Likes

2024年2月6日(火)

音: コク
訓: くろ, くろ.い, くろ.ずむ
black; dark; bad; guilt

メモ: Kicking off with the first kanji in the MC’s surname! Though I may or may not start jumping around some after this. I’m writing down all the names as I remember/come across them on my whiteboard, skipping or erasing duplicate kanji, and I’m erasing the kanji as I do them, so the only way I’ll forget them is if I forget to write down the name in the first place.

I’m not surprised that Goo has more definitions than Shirabe, but I am surprised Shirabe has an extra reading: くろ.ずむ.

6 Likes

2024年2月7日(水)

音: ウ
訓: はね, は, わ
feather; wing (of a bird or bug); counter for birds, rabbits; Dewa Province

メモ: Shirabe has an extra reading for this as well: わ is considered a sound change like ば and ぱ and thus Goo doesn’t list it as its own reading, rather just makes a note of it.

It turns out if I’m not careful while writing this kanji quickly, I have a minor tendency for the first stroke to curve and encroach into the right-hand side. And a major tendency for the drops(?) to wind up parallel lol (After doing the stroke order, I write them a dozen times on a separate sheet for practice writing them normally)

4 Likes

Looking good so far!

Early on in your writing journey, you’ll notice a lot of small mistakes with balance and proportions, which will work themselves out as you get more practice. It’s great to work on radicals as well if you haven’t already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2024年2月7日「水」

漢字:平
訓読み:たい.ら、ひら
音読み:ヘイ、ビョウ、ヒョウ
Jisho Page

2024年2月8日「木」

漢字:掌
訓読み:てのひら、たなごころ
音読み:ショウ
Jisho Page

メモ:Double feature, featuring multiple ways to write out “Palm”, being 「手の平」and 「掌」、both being 「てのひら」。
Just like 常、the three lines at the top are drawn first, which feels weird after drawing 薬 where the horizontal line is drawn first.
As a side note, moving forward I am no longer going to be including the links to the WaniKani Pages of characters, unless I deem it necessary for specific kanji.

4 Likes

2024年2月8日(木)

音: ユウ, ウ
訓: やさ.しい, すぐ.れる, ゆた.か, まさ.る, わざおぎ, やわ.らぐ
tender; gentle; kind; excel; surpass; superior; loose; slow; actor; calm

メモ: This is one of my favorite kanji, but I hate writing it. I can never seem to fit all of the right side within the line without it sticking out underneath, no matter how tall I write it. Practice today went well though. After doing the stroke order practice, I was conscious of how much space the top part took up, so the bottom fit too.

5 Likes

2024年2月9日(金)

音: ケイ, キョウ
訓: よらこ.ぶ, よ.い
jubilation; rejoice; auspicious; celebrate; congratulate

メモ: Another one I think is really pretty. I just find the 愛 (well, crown + heart + winter, but) construction very aesthetically pleasing. And it turns out this one’s pretty fun to write, too!

優, 慶, and 愛 all have the nanori ちか. That seems too many to be coincidence. I’m tempted to detour and hunt down other kanji with 愛 in them now…

5 Likes

Hi!

This kanji showed in my practice today, . A famous one it is, difficult to balance properly!

EDIT: this was today’s practice full set, from the top of my memory:

5 Likes

2024年2月9日「金」

漢字:節
訓読み:ふし、-ぶし、のっと
音読み:セツ、セチ
Jisho Page

2024年2月10日「土」

漢字:爪
訓読み:つめ、つま-
訓読み:ソウ
Jisho Page

メモ:With these two we finish off the hands, with 「節」、 “Knuckle” (or 「指の節」for extra specificity) , and 「爪」、 “Nail”!
Time for a short break from body-related kanji.

4 Likes

Hi!

This is today’s practice, again from the top of my memory:

By pure coincidence, both つくるs ( and ) showed up, the third one didn’t though. also appeared, a quite useful prefix (超人, 超特急, 超音速).

4 Likes

2024年2月10日(土)

音: ソウ
訓: みさお, あやつ.る, と.る
manipulate; operate; handle; maneuver; grasp; virginity; chastity; fidelity

メモ: Oh, this one turned out kind of a mess. It was more difficult than I expected. (I kind of feel bad, since this is my favorite character’s name.)

4 Likes

2024年2月11日「日」

漢字:努
訓読み:つと.める
音読み:ド
Jisho Page

メモ:Thank you @Pablunpro for the suggestion!
As stated along with this recommendation, at 7 strokes it might seem like an easy Kanji, but with the inclusion of the 女 radical, that is immediately made not the case.
Besides that tough radical, you have to balance the spacing between the 女 and 又 at the top, and ensure you get the right shape of the 力 radical at the bottom.
All in all, a challenging character from a technical standpoint, and one I diligently toiled on to write correctly as much as possible!

4 Likes

I think it looks great!
If you want any feedback from an amateur,

Here’s an attempt I whipped up. Honestly I felt like this kanji was easier to write out smaller.

In red are 3 points of interest.

1: The first line of your modified hand radical 「扌 」should ideally be pretty straight across. If it turns up a bit, that’s fine, but you shooting for it to be pretty level.

2: At the bottom of your modified hand radical, you want to come to a stop, and then bring it up in a hook-like shape. It makes it look a bit better and helps distinguish it from other similar radicals.

3: For the most part, most of your elements should start and end at around the same height. The top of your first mouth radical 「口」should roughly line up with the top of the modified hand radical, and the bottom of your tree radical 「木」should roughly line up with the bottom of the modified hand radical.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work!

5 Likes

Hi!

Yesterday I was reading a Wikipedia entry and tried the following whilst looking up words in Jisho.org: instead of writing its supposed reading or looking it up by radicals, I just draw the kanjis that made up the word.

The thing is that you have to write the kanji “properly” (as much as possible, :wink:) in order for it to show in the first position of the results grid. Thus, you indirectly practice kanji writing whilst looking up new vocab.

For example, taking the kanji above:

BTW, I find it easier and more useful on the phone (or any device with touch screen), as you can write with your finger instead of using a mouse.

Incidentally, you can also practice radical understanding and pronunciation using the other searching methods.

I hope you find this interesting and useful.

とにかく、良い日曜日を

3 Likes

Yeah, I think so too. My practice writing it out a dozen times after that went a little better, though still not quite right, even with trying to be conscious of everything’s placement. I guess this is just one I’ll have to practice more if I want it to look right rather than merely “close enough.”

And in general the hand and other radicals that flick up like that at the bottom. If I write any faster than pretty slowly, they have a tendency to wind up more straight like that. I think part of it may be that I’m afraid to put too much force into it or else it’ll drag too far. I have some minor fine motor control issues, though it often doesn’t matter quite so much when I’m writing in English.

Maybe after I’ve done x many kanji, I’ll do a little summary thing. That’ll give me at least a little bit more practice.

I have the Shirabe Jisho app on my phone, and I’ll often use the handwriting input when I don’t know the reading of a kanji (not necessarily that kanji, but one in the compound, and if it doesn’t seem more trouble than it’s worth to switch to keyboard input to type the one(s) I know, I’ll just draw them; same with if I’d left it on handwriting input, I tend to just draw it unless it’s a troublesome one). It’s a lot less forgiving than Google Translate’s, although I don’t think it’s necessarily based on stroke order either. There’ve been times where I knew I’d accidentally gotten the stroke order wrong but it still came up, and times where I was careful to get the stroke order and appearance right yet it still took a few tries for it to show up or else I had to resort to radical search or copy-pasting from GT.

4 Likes