December 2019 Announcement! Sale + Free Trials

@Momiji Thank you for becoming a Lifetime Member!:heart::bunprogold::heart: Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi! Can I request a free trial added onto my existing yearly subscription? Don’t see the option on the subscription page.

Thanks a lot!!

3 Likes

Can it be applied even if you have an active subscription (next payment delayed by a month) or does it only work once you end your subscription entirely?

2 Likes

@snugglesnacks Your free trial will be made available to you at the end of your existing yearly subscription. You will have access to it on the subscription page. Cheers!

@someone2020 and @snugglesnacks You will have to turn off auto renewal and wait for your subscription to run out before the free trial becomes visible on your subscription page. Cheers!

3 Likes

How long does it usually take the subscription page to update after you’ve paid? Went ahead and bought the lifetime, and the payment went through, but I’m still getting the notice about my free trial expiring in January and that I’ll be bumped back to Lite. I imagine it might take a bit to update, but just wanting to make sure I did things correctly!

2 Likes

@verie Thank you for becoming a Lifetime Member! Did you make a payment via PayPal? If so, is your PayPal email different from the one you use for Bunpro? When your PayPal and Bunpro email addresses are different, we send you an email asking for your PayPal email address so that we can apply it to your account. If you did not receive this email, please check your spam folder. If you are still not seeing any email from us, please send us an email at [email protected]. Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply! You’re right, it was because my paypal and bunpro e-mail are different. I found the email you mentioned and replied, thank you so much!

3 Likes

In the FAQ I read that the monthly and yearly subscriptions are discounted at 40%, because 40% of the content is still missing. Why is the regular price of lifetime not included in that discount ($90 instead of $150)?

Buying into lifetime currently comes with a risk, namely that the remaining content isn’t finished soon, or even finished at all. So if you’re paying full-price, you’re paying $90 euros for content that already exists, plus $60 for the promise of future content.

What’s the reasoning behind this inconsistency in pricing?

6 Likes

There is no inconsistency.

The pricing of the monthly & yearly plans are tied to the stages of development and will eventually go up to $5 mo. / $50 yr.

The current $120 price of the Lifetime subscription is a holiday or end of year sale.

2 Likes

Yes, and my question is why only the monthly and yearly plans are tied to the stage of development, but not the lifetime plan. That seems inconsistent to me.

I also saw that when the switch to the paid model was made, the prices originally were 3, 30 and 90 dollars. So I’m curious to know why the lifetime price has gone up since then, but not the other prices.

Another inconsistency that I see is that with the original and eventual pricing, lifetime will be three times the cost of yearly (3x30=90 and 3x50=150). With the current pricing, lifetime is five times the cost of yearly (5x30=150). In other words, one would need to get five years of use out of Bunpro for lifetime to be worth it.

Here again the risk-factor I mentioned before comes into play. Websites get shut down all the time. It’s quite a difference, taking a gamble on a website staying online for three more years or it staying online for five more years. So I am wondering why the decision was made to temporarily increase this risk factor by (prematurely) increasing the price of lifetime from $90 to $150 dollars.

3 Likes

@Melanthe Thank you for your question. When we decided to include a lifetime option, we wanted a way to show early supporters our appreciation. We thought that a good way to do this was to match the discount that we applied to the monthly and yearly subscriptions (40% off original price). By making the Lifetime Membership a limited-time offer, only early adopters/supporters would be able to take advantage of it.

The Lifetime Membership was announced in April, 2018 and was released with the discounted price on May 10, 2018. The discount lasted until June 10, 2018.

We realize that the way that we presented this information was not clear and we apologize. Cheers.

7 Likes

Thank you for explaining your reasoning behind removing the 40% discount from lifetime.

I am still curious about your opinion on the risk factors I have described. I enjoy using Bunpro and would love to subscribe, but I am also a bit wary. I’ve been burned before, paying for future services that were ultimately not rendered because the project was abandoned. So, considering the current price of lifetime equals four years of yearly subscriptions, could you elaborate a bit on your expectations for the next four years?

• Roughly when do you expect to finish N2 and N1 content?
  • Do you have a (public) roadmap for the next four years?
  • Is Bunpro currently operating at a loss?
  • If so, do you expect that to change in the coming years?
4 Likes

@Melanthe

As far as content goes, all of the N2 material that we had planned to add has been added. We hope to have most of N1 done by the end of 2020. That being said, we are always hesitant to say that anything is “done,” because that implies that we will no longer be updating it. There are still many grammar points (even in N5, N4, and N3) that require some tweaking. This could be anything from adding more breakdowns, context information, nuance notes, alternative answers or audio, to splitting up grammar points into multiple parts, adding entirely new grammar points or simply polishing current material further.

We do not have a public roadmap. We do have a pretty clear idea of where we want to go and what we want to get finished, but thanks to the great community of support we have, we often add features and make changes based on the suggestions and feedback we receive which quickly alters the state of the road map at that point in time.

We have been very frugal with the revenue Bunpro has earned, using it to offset development costs and saving what we can. Like all websites, we do have ongoing and increasing expenses related to server upkeep and we also have a lot of one-time development costs like content and audio for sentences. That being said we have been sure to squirrel away what we can and even if we were to start operating at a loss, shutting down the site is far from the first thing we would think to do and something we would be very, very hesitant to even consider.

We hope that we continue to see the slow and steady growth we have had for the past two and a half years.

For what it is worth, we can say with absolute certainty that Bunpro will still be around in five years and we are confident it will be here in 10, but that might not be reassuring to you.

We do know that if we were just looking for a quick cash grab we definitely wouldn’t still be working on improving the site and adding more grammar to it. We think the strength of our record of commitment to the community and the site speaks loudly enough.

Naturally, there is some risk involved with any service you choose to purchase, so one should not only weigh the risks against the benefits but also take into consideration the person or group they are betting on. Cheers.

17 Likes

Thanks, this is precisely the sort of comprehensive response I was hoping for. You’ve put my mind at rest, I’ll be getting lifetime :partying_face:

4 Likes

Thanks for the free month + holiday sale.

It is a good opportunity to give Bunpro another chance. I’m more than likely subscribing this time around now that Tobira path is completed. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community! Feel free stay around as much as you like - explore around here if you need help with Bunpro, I’m sure there’s always someone here willing to answer your questions :smile_cat:.

3 Likes

I also wanted to say thanks @Pushindawood for the detailed answers in this thread. It’s good to see that the people running this website are so thoughtful and dedicated about it :slight_smile:

I’ve also become a lifetime member now because this website has been super helpful to me and I can’t wait to learn the rest of the grammar :smile:

6 Likes

@Melanthe Thank you for your interest in becoming a Lifetime Member! Please let us know if you have any further questions, concerns or suggestions. Cheers!

@mztik

Thank you for giving Bunpro another chance! Let us know if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

@Lunanya Thank you for your kind words and for becoming a Lifetime Member! We are glad to hear that you have found Bunpro helpful so far. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any suggestions or feedback. Cheers!

5 Likes

Thank you and the other devs involved. I ended up subscribing and also subscribed my lovely japanese learning wife as well. :smiley:

6 Likes

hi,

so i bought a yearly one, couldn’t afford liftetime rn but at my subscription page it says will end at 15/01/20 (was my free trial time). it will activated after that period, right? i don’t know how this system works that’s why i’m asking.

thank you in advance!

edit: naaah, got an email explaining things :neutral_face:

4 Likes