Default to Male Voice?

I’ve noticed that (as far as I can tell), there is no option to always default to the male voice for learn or reviews. I’m wondering if I’m just missing it? Especially since it seems like at this point, there are more examples recorded by the male speaker, but those just don’t play audio during reviews at all for me.

(Side note: it does seem like a nice feature would be to automatically switch back to the preferred voice actor when they’re available again, rather than having to manually switch it back to check every time; or maybe just display somewhere which voices are available for that example)

4 Likes

Yes, I’m not really bothered which is default but really miss having audio on some of the reviews :persevere:

1 Like

I put this in the feature suggestion thread. Didn’t get a direct response but it would be a nice feature to have. But I’ve recently been putting my reviews in bunny mode so I don’t hear the audio now. But I will eventually turn it off and it’ll be nice to hear male audio when available.

1 Like

I don’t see a way either, just the toggle present on some grammar points:
However, it looks like that toggle’s only present in N5. N4 and up have this:
edit: My session today had some N4 grammar with the male voice toggle, but I expect most of N4 and up to have this:
And it makes sense because N4 starts having audio mixed between male and female. An example is on でも | Japanese Grammar SRS : at the top, you’ll hear a male recording, and at the bottom you’ll hear a female recording.

I agree that it’d make sense to have a preference setting. I don’t know how high it’d rate on their benefit/dev time scale though. I don’t expect it to become a setting unless/until they get more male recordings to pair with the volunteer recordings from @Asher and Haruna. Here’s a thread that references them:

Here’s one of Asher’s more recent update threads so you can get a feel for what’s going on:

Additional note:

Asher put effort into collecting some resources. I know your question wasn’t about more resources, but please keep in mind that there are posts like these if your male audio sources dry up:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing all the resources @stupidguy , I hope people use these as much as possible, as they really do help with listening practice a looooot.

In regard to the male voices on sentences, I would assume that once all of the sentences have been recorded with the male audio, we will probably create an option for which they will default to. @Fuga , our male audio guy has been equipped with a good quality microphone, and we are just making adjustments to sentences etc before we do any further recording. As we have started making vocabulary decks as well, we are slightly changing sentences here and there in order to use as much of that vocabulary as possible in grammar sentences, after which we will be able to record new audio (both male and female).

2 Likes

Also, I wish to add to add an option to hide all samples when learning new grammar, because I like to listen the audio first, and if with the audio I cannot tell what is it saying, then show the japanese text, and finally de english text.

2 Likes

Will the same person be doing the female voiceover for the changed sentences? She’s the reason I decided to stick with Bunpro and get a membership. Her voice is just sooo soft and soothing.

1 Like

Yep, Haruna will still be doing all of the new sentences :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just want to cast my vote for an option to play both end to end

3 Likes

There are settings for exactly what you want :slight_smile:

I have already that but is not hidden

As it can be seen, the japanese sentence and translations are visible by default, maybe is a bug

1 Like

I looked and i had it on too dispite not remembering turning it on, it might be on by default but not actually work. Turning it off then on again made it start working for me.

Hope this helps you!

1 Like

Personally I’d like a “random speaker” option to get exposure to as many different speakers possible during reviews.

5 Likes