Disabling casual forms during early Genki 1 path

Good morning everyone,

I have to started using Bunpro and I have a question. I apologize in advance if someone have asked this before, but I was browsing throughout some threats, and I could not find such a question.

I have just started studying Japanese and I am currently on lesson 4. I support my grammar studies with Bunpro’s Genki 1 path, which I like very much. However, when I cram the grammar, I get asked questions about the casual forms of for example verbs or adjectives. This is not a topic that has been taught early in Genki, so I very often do not answer correctly as I have not learned those topics yet.

Is there a way to switch off being asked about casual forms until I have reached that part in the book?.

Thank you very much!

Vika

2 Likes

Maybe setting this to Formal, under General settings?

3 Likes

Oh! That’s brilliant! I’ll try that out! Thank you :blush::blush:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forums! And thanks for trying Bunpro.

Thought I would chime in here.

Unfortunately, what @Flandre5carlet mentioned will not change the order of how the Grammar is introduced, just how it displays here:

^This, plus using the Genki 1 deck (if you aren’t already) in it’s Default Sorting Order is probably the closest you will get to a pure Genki 1 reviewing experience.

Hope that helps~

1 Like

Thank you, I realized the suggestion made to me was not was I was looking for! But thank you for chiming in! I guess I’ll get to the casual forms soon and it should then be no issue anymore. I just wished I could have turned it off while getting there because sometimes getting a wrong answer is a bit disappointing. Especially because the answers are wrong because I did not study that part yet. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I understand feeling unprepared because bunpro is asking questions you don’t know yet.

You could either keep using bunpro as you do. This will result in lots of ghosts. By doing ghosts you will eventually learn casual form by brute forcing it.
Or you can skip a head in the textbook to chapter 8 or so to learn the short form.

I highly recommend using the textbook audio CD. I put the audio from the part one drill
れい:食べる 食べた 行く 行った 1. 起きる … 起きた
On a CD in my car and played it on loop for 3 months.
I also included the ‘repeat after me’ dialogs.

1 Like

I strongly recommend not doing this. It might be frustrating at the moment, but short forms are significantly more important than formal and you want to get used to those ASAP.

2 Likes

Agreed.

You will learn Casual form at some point in time, and the earlier you know that that is where all the verb conjugations stem from (pun intended), the better.

Tae Kim’s Guide to Grammar had an excellent logical ordering for grammar.
AFAIK Genki is for more aimed at being practical right from the get-go.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the advice! The audio advice is pretty good! I think I’ll do that :blush: I’m already on chapter 6, is not that long til I get there.

1 Like