よつばと discussion (Beginner) April 2024

お疲れ様でした to all that finished!

7 Likes

Finished up the other day! What a fun and refreshing read. I want to learn to be as 無敵 as Yotsuba one of these days. Looking forward to continuing the series and seeing more of her antics in the future.

I didn’t talk much here myself, but big thanks to everyone who asked and answered questions, and to the staff for organizing the book club. See you all in the next round!

9 Likes

Congrats to everyone!! It feels like such an accomplishment haha.

As an aside, I’ve still been adding the cards from the deck slowly and I ran into this card for Ch. 3, the furigana reads as せわしい which I’m sure is fine as it’s own card but isn’t the いそがしい that is said in the chapter.

7 Likes

Hi everyone,
I finally finished volume 1 today ! I didn’t had as much time I wanted to read, so I catched up this week end by reading the last 3 chapters.
It was the first book I read entirely in Japanese, and I am happy that the book club helped me to achieve this. I didn’t thought I would be able to go through it honestly.
The story was really fun to read, and I find that all the vocab I learned while reading is easier to memorize because of context I suppose. The vocab deck is very very usefull, I think it bring really an advantage for the book clubs on Bunpro. Thanks also to all those who helped with questions and answers !
For now I am more motivated to continue with volume 2, but I might also consider to follow the next book club reading, will see…

4 Likes

See, you did it the smart way — I tried to learn all the items in the deck as I read through and… well, it’s been a lot of reviews. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still have a chapter 7 to do as of today, but for everyone who has already finished, and for everyone who will read through this forum and finish — congratulations!

4 Likes

@Asher building on my last post here (which has gathered some likes), is there a chance that we might get Decks for the other volumes of よつばと? Or will you only offer these for the official book club picks? I understand that creating these decks likely involves a substantial amount of work, so I get if it’s not feasible, but it would certainly be a massive help for continuing with the series.

5 Likes

We’ve already got the second one ready to go and will continue to do the whole set due to its overall popularity in the Japanese learning space in general.

It’s also likely that we’ll make decks for similarly popular titles such as shirokuma cafe etc. :blush: We’d love to build a home where people can discuss with each other about and learn from manga/books/anime all in the one platform, in order to make use of the already great catalog of example sentences we have for tons of vocab/grammar.

12 Likes

Awesome! Thanks a lot! Once the book 2 deck is up, we could maybe post a new chapter schedule in here, for those who want to keep going at the current pace (I suppose we could already start and say that Vol. 2 Chapter 1 is due for this week)

3 Likes

Ideally, we’ll take a one week break between all book clubs, just to give people a break, and to also allow us on the back end to have time to make decks for the winning books etc as well. If people wanna get started asap, that’s totally fine, but there may be some delays in decks etc in future, as the priority will always go to the winner of the latest vote, in order to give everyone a fair chance at their favorite book being chosen.

10 Likes

I fell pretty far behind the group’s pace, but I just wanted to report I’m still plugging away at it and just finished chapter 6!

8 Likes

I took a peak at the progress of the other book clubs: advanced has got a few weeks left and the last chapter for intermediate is scheduled on August.

Does it mean that we will start another book late August?

2 Likes

There will be a new beginner book very soon! The levels don’t need to align with each other. I will actually start the vote for the next book from tonight! So it should be live in a few hours. :bowing_man:

3 Likes

New poll is available to vote on here everyone!

You can select as many options as you want if you have no specific preference and there are a few things that sound interesting to you!

This poll will close at the end of the 7th of June, at which point the winner will have been decided and I’ll make a new thread for our next book :blush:.

Please note that as of right now, it is too late to make new suggestions. However, any suggestions made will go on the candidacy list for the 3rd book. Any books that do not receive at least 15% selection will be removed from the poll next time, in order to prevent an excessive list of options with low popularity.

2 Likes

Will the deck for the next book include the vocabulary in the deck for this one?

2 Likes

No, unfortunately not. Each volume will only consist of vocab from within that volume. However, as all our vocab is linked, any items you’ve already studied will automatically not appear in the second volume.

2 Likes

I actually had the same experience 2 years ago, when i barely even was N5 level. It was at the time still difficult and as you said, the story wasnt that packed with action or meaningful events and basically regreted it to have bought it for 600 円.

Today i found the book in the shelf again and tried it another time. With N3 mostly done, it was not really a challenge for me anymore and i finished the first chapter in around 15 minutes.
And i enjoyed it much more then then when i first tried it.

My guess is that the fast pace makes it up now that its not so thrilling and gives me more content in a shorter time.

3 Likes

One last check-in, finally finished vol 1 just in time to start the next book club!

I’ve read through it once before, but I found it a lot easier this time. If nothing else, my lookups were a lot easier to find and understand. I think I’ll continue on with it once I can get hold of more volumes.

6 Likes

Today, a Japanese person told me my mined card from yotsuba おあがりたまえ should be おあがりください [make yourself at home] from page 76

5 Likes

For full effect you could add 魔界へ

jokes aside

Yotsuba-chan does not exactly speak like a well-mannered adult, so using her expressions might shock some people about as much as using her energy level.

3 Likes

Any chance of releasing the deck for the second volume?

1 Like