よつばと discussion (Beginner) April 2024

:rofl::rofl: … Maybe that statement was a little bit ambitious, but we will be adding a lot of the main ones!! This also includes grammar that isn’t slang per-se, but appears very often in slangy/manga etc scenarios.

な、わ、ぞ、ぜ、い to え sound changes, る to ん sound changes, という to つ sound changes, んじゃない/んじゃなかった after verbs for ‘shouldn’t’, etc.

10 Likes

Can I just say thank you? This has thrown me into actually doing it with a bit of accountability and I have found that I can actually tread water, better than I thought I could. Not good, but better.

4 Likes

I like よつば in page 60, when she uses いってきます in the wrong situation, after トーちゃん teaches her in page 58 that she has to say it if she goes out to play/hang around.

I actually like トーちゃん’s comment: そのいって きますはいらん, that いって doesn’t need a きます. (いらん → 要らない)

Thank you so much for the explanation about つ, つっ for という.

3 Likes

I appreciate the new charts to help keep track of things, it definitely helps.

Also another 5 pages done today <3

3 Likes

Should we add the っけ (JLPT N3) | Bunpro grammar point to the よつばと!deck?

5 Likes

Yep, good point. Looks like that one was missed. Will add it!

3 Likes

wooo reading done for today!

Small vocab deck note: the card in ch. 2 is for ひらく but yotsuba uses あく on pg. 61

Also, トーちゃん on pg. 59:

4 Likes

Finished todays reading, see all you fine folks tomorrow

1 Like

Hi!

In page 64, lower section, left frame, when トーちゃん wakes up from his 二度寝, he says ねちまった, which is supposed to be a form of 寝る. But I fail to see which form.

I reckon he says he slept (again) by accident, he didn’t intent to, so I would expect 寝てしまった or 寝ちゃった. Where does this form come from?

Curiously enough, in the next page, we see the verb しまう used on its own: カギしまってる.

2 Likes

In page 67, when ふうか says そうとしておこう after seeing トーちゃん, she means something like ‘let’s forget about that’ or ‘let’s leave it at that’?

If so, おこう would then be 置こう in its ‘to leave (behind)​’ meaning?

3 Likes
She shouldn't...

のきれいじゃない方だ!

By the way, is this a rendakued え?

2 Likes

From what I can find, it’s a contracted version of てしまう

A similar question

Also, I wasn’t actually able to find a source for anybody explaining it but I can at least vouch that I’ve seen diacritic marks added to kana as added emphasis quite a few times in the past. え゛.

It’s like TYPING IN ALL CAPS lol

Edit: I did stumble across this, unrelated but still interesting, topic Emphasis Dots | Japanese with Anime

4 Likes

Hello, I’ve got a couple of questions about the dialogue on pg. 59:

On pg.58 とーちゃん tells よつば to greet properly like the middle sister and then よつば replies with 追いかけてくる方か?- Does this mean “The one that was chasing me?”

かみなげーきれーなの - I couldn’t figure out what this means : ( I think she mispronounced something and then とーちゃん corrects her with そっちじゃない方だ?

Thank you.

2 Likes

I interpreted this as “かみなが綺麗きれいなの”, or “the pretty one with long hair”. Dad responds, “no, the other one” (literally “the person who isn’t that”, I think)

And then Yotsuba’s response killed me. “The one who isn’t pretty?”

6 Likes

I personally interpreted it as ~ている form of かぎまる (with particle removed after かぎ), something like “the door is locked”, but I’m not sure now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

yeah if it was used in this context with the key it most likely means its locked/shut

3 Likes

Yes, it makes much more sense.
(Oh my, kanjis, where art thou!?)

4 Likes
Speaking of which...

4 Likes

Hi!

Read up to page 77, making sense of all the casual talk (ん, え, って, dropping of particles, no kanji…) and よつば’s blabber and mistakes, except for おまかいですが in page 77.

Looking around, I’ve found this explanation (se non è vero è ben trovato):

it’s probably doesn’t concern 魔界 (…) おまかいですが is a mistaken word the child made and the correct one is kind of “何もお構いできませんが” (なにもおかまいできませんが) :“I think I can’t take care of you enough.”

It shows up again in page 79 (bottom section, middle frame).

メモ: I particularly liked the わけわかんねー!! frame in page 71.

5 Likes

Wrapped up todays reading, よつばと is such a fun book. <3

3 Likes