スーパーカブ discussion (Intermediate) April 2024

Yep, that would be it. The previous part of the sentence is ホームセンターに行って、which means the ‘going’ happens in that part, so the ‘coming’ must happen at the end.

3 Likes

I’m a bit behind in the reading schedule right now, but I’ve reached the point where it feels like the more I read, the more my tolerance for ambiguity increases :star_struck:

I definitely feel like I’m enjoying the novel a lot more as well, compared to when I felt compelled to read with the vocab list open on the side.
Even if I have no clue how much I’m actually understanding correctly :joy:

On another note, I love 小熊’s interactions with 爺さん so much hehe

This line was too funny:

「これは何人殺してるんですか?」

6 Likes

Totally agree. 小熊 is a very meek/doesn’t really care type character for the most part, so her having genuine interactions with people is always funny :joy:

1 Like

Well, I do find that it is getting easier as time goes on, but its still not easy, but I’m keeping on keeping on. Another 3 pages done today.

2 Likes

What is this on

chapter 5

今までの自転車通学と変わったような変わらないような、少なくともこの季節に坂道で自転車を漕いで汗まみれになることは無くなった。

What does “変わったような変わらないような” mean?

3 Likes

I think this literally means “as if it changed, as if it didn’t change” meaning that it’s difficult to tell whether there is an actual difference or not.

In context, this is describing how the act/feeling is similar between the two, but this time she isn’t as sweaty.

3 Likes

I finished reading for week three. Only one proper noun, the name of a character, is in introduced during chapters 6-7.

Chapter Seven:
礼子(れいこ)

I’m only reading a week ahead to inform people on the proper nouns and to check if there were any issues with the schedule I made. Please don’t think you need to read ahead. It’s not a competition.

4 Likes

If I wanted to make it sound normal in English, I’d maybe say ‘Seemingly different but not indifferent from my bike commute until now, getting covered in sweat in this season peddling my bike on the hilly roads went away at least.’

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation. I was getting the wrong idea, I thought it was something like “the thing that never changed, changed (going to school in her bike)” or something like that. Those 2 ような caught me off guard.

1 Like

It is a long sentence. I basically broke it into everything before the comma being one piece of information, and then the 少なくとも being linked to 無くなった at the end due to no other clear stop in the following clause, if that helps. Usually authors will add more commas if their adverbs etc are working in a little different way to what one would naturally assume.

3 Likes

Did another 3 pages today, see you all tomorrow <3

3 Likes

Hi!

Almost done with Chapter 4 ガス欠. As @craze1x says, it gets easier but still not easy. I’ve recorded five expressions and a word (四字熟語) that I haven’t been able to find in the vocab deck.

@Asher , do you mind me to keep reporting them or am I being too conscientious?

3 Likes

A bit of a random question, but why would the print book be using 頰 kanji instead of 頬? And the web novel version has 頬. It’s written in 2016, after the last shinjitai changes of 2010, so which one is “correct”?

2 Likes

I finished chapter 4 too. I think I will re-read this week’s chapters at least once before moving on to next week’s chapters. It does get easier, but it’s far from easy!

2 Likes

There’s a handful of kanji which are easily readable regardless of whether it is the new or old version and many authors will use whichever they prefer with no change in meaning. Anyone literate can read either without an issue. Sometimes harder to read old versions (but still similar) versions of kanji are used but they’ll normally have furigana the first time they appear.

As for why there is a change between the web novel and the print book, you’d have to ask the author or the editor.

As for which is “correct”, if the kanji has no change in meaning then unless you’re taking a test there is no such thing as a “correct” kanji.

3 Likes

Plus in this context of this book, that is one the defining characteristic of 小熊. It draws special attention to her cheeks. It’s almost like a very particular way to italicize something.

5 Likes

Definitely keep reporting! Feel free to PM me though (easier for me to find rather than doom scrolling the forums :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Nice idea! In this case maybe 頰 gets SRS keyword “Koguma’s cheeks” as opposed to normal run of the mill cheeks

2 Likes

This video just popped into my feed and I thought it may be useful for some people who are perhaps less confident readers or people who aren’t used to reading longer prose works. It is probably suited for people around N3 but his discussion of て is interesting regardless of whether you’re N6 or N0. Hope it is useful!

In general I like his videos - he is a super experienced learner and reader of Japanese and is working on or perhaps now has a PhD in Japanese literature so he knows what he is talking about at least a little bit (笑)

8 Likes

Thanks for linking that, that is a really great video.

2 Likes