DrDru's Lab

Hi Bunpro community,

I have been working on a website for years and wanted to share it with those of you who’ve never heard of it. The site is teaching Japanese through reading without relying on translation (like the Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata if you’ve hear of it).

Words are introduced using emoji and repeated over and over in simple illustrated stories that I try hard to make genuinely enjoyable. The idea is to make it act like a natural SRS.

It’s here. This is the beginning of the first page.It gets fun really fast.

For more advanced learners, the site has a second part which consists in a set (only two for now) of stories written in N4 Japanese and illustrated with Pixel art.

Here

I hope that gives you a good time !

21 Likes

I love that, I am reading Aryn’s rescue, and it is very enjoyable, also I like he format

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind word. I am glad to read you like it.

I am aware of some formatting issues with this story (text going out of the panel at the bottom). That should be fixed in a near future.

3 Likes

Thanks for reminding me, it was the first site that I used for reading Japanese!

3 Likes

Reading this comment make me feel a bit embarassed. It’s great, just very sort-of humbling. I don’t know exactly how to express it :blush: .

1 Like

I took a peek, and it looks like some very nice work. :smiley:

3 Likes

:slight_smile: thanks

3 Likes

Hi all,

For the past 10 months or so I’ve been working on a RPG insprired story at the N4+ level and I’ve just released the 6th episode which completes the arc.
That’s a total of 110+ pages of content. The story is called Markus’ ascent and you can find it here The Tile World Chronicles .
I’ve had feedback from someone who’s at the NHK easy news level and said they were reading it comfortably.

(the first page might look intimidating but since it’s a prologue feel free to skip it)

I hope you enjoy it.

12 Likes

Hahaha this is seriously so awesome, sometimes I’m amazed at the creativity some people have. Would it be possible at all (maybe a future thing) to have a furigana toggle to add a bit more challenge for those who want it?

Either way, thanks so much for sharing. I’m all for more content aimed at easing learners into consuming native content.

5 Likes

Where did you get the pixel art for the characters? I’ve been working on a small application and have been trying to find some generic character archetype art.

4 Likes

@EdBunpro : thanks for the kind word :slight_smile: . You’re not the first one to mention a furigana toggle.
I really need to do it one of these days… I just wish some popular extension like Yomichan would have this functionality. Instead of every other website having to implement it.
As for your comment on creativity, I used to think the same before starting this website. Now that I’m a creator myself, I have a diferent perspective. I’d say it’s essentially the result of focussing on one thing and putting the hours of work in.

@Devenu you can find the assets I used here : https://gif-superretroworld.itch.io/

4 Likes

Hey

I can’t remember at what stage the story was when I posted last time but it’s now finished.
It’s about 110 pages long : The Tile World Chronicles

A native speaker friend of mine read it and told me the story is about 70% natural Japanese and 30% language learner Japanese (ie correct but not what a native would use) which to me is not too bad.

I’m still working on creating more content. I hope you enjoy it.

2 Likes