End Of Discount

Hey Everyone!

We wanted to give you a friendly reminder that the current subscription discount of 40% will come to an end soon (March 14th). We’ve had the discount active since we first started because we wanted to make sure that we didn’t charge full price for an unfinished product.

In September of last year we completed the core of N1 grammar. This had been one of our major goals for the past few years. With this milestone, and the addition of many other new features/resources, we are confident that we finally provide enough value to discontinue the discount that we originally implemented on monthly and yearly subscriptions.

We had initially announced that March 1st would be the end of the sale, but with the work we have done on N4 writeups, vocab, and decks since the start of the year, as well as having a couple upcoming releases (see spoiler), we haven’t had the bandwidth to do that and make the necessary adjustments to remove the discount. It might be cliché but we hope you don’t mind us prioritizing new content and features over removing the discount. :joy:

Spoiler for upcoming stuff
  • A 関西弁 grammar and vocab deck,
  • A conjugation tool and,
  • A new cross platform mobile app :partying_face: (Still in development and subject to change)

In addition to those upcoming releases, we are currently on track to have the following by the end of 2022:

• In-house written explanations for grammar through N2 (and potentially through N1)
  • 20k vocab words with over 100k context sentences,
  • The ability to use SRS for said vocab words (currently in open beta),
  • Over 100 graded reading passages written specifically for the level they target,
  • and many other improvements that will hopefully make using Bunpro an even better experience.

One of our core philosophies is that education tools should be made available to everyone, not just at a reasonable price, but as cheaply as possible. That was our thought process when we had 100 users, and it will continue be our mode of operation when we have 1 million (maybe one day :sweat_smile: ). You can rest assured that we will not be increasing prices of the monthly and yearly subscriptions at any point in the future.

Should the discontinuation of the discount make Bunpro too expensive for you, please reach out to us. We have worked with others before who wanted to use Bunpro but through circumstances outside of their own control were unable to, and we will continue to do so going forward.

We have some really great things planned for Bunpro, both in the near term and for the years ahead, and we hope to see you continue your journey alongside us. If there are any questions or feedback you would like to give, please feel free to reach out anytime, either here on the forums or via email.

Bunpro would not be where it is today without the love and support you guys have given us every step of the way. For that we are eternally grateful. :bowing_man:

63 Likes

I am hyped for everything you guys have announced here, but this especially is killer! Already can’t wait!!! Anyways, while dropping the discount doesn’t affect me personally anymore (hurray for lifetime :partying_face: ) I was amazed that you guys kept the discount around as long as you all have, as I considered it to have reached it’s full value for quite a while now. The entire BunPro team has released amazing update after amazing update already, and I am looking forward to what more you guys will bring to the table in the future, on to a million subscribers I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

18 Likes

Beware the Ides of March as this will mark the end of the Bunpro discount.

12 Likes

I would be excited for other dialects too. I know they are not as popular, even with the young people who live in each area, but they have so much to add to the Japanese language and our understanding of culture.

I, for one, would happily contribute to a 南部弁 vocab deck and grammar section. People often complain of not being able to understand the Aomori accent, but most of the time I think its not actually that difficult, just different. Of course some people have very difficult accents up here, but I’d love for bunpro to be a place to discover new dialects too, there’s barely any English language support for them!

8 Likes

If all goes well, it should be out sometime this week :smiley: ~20 grammar points and 30 words.

@rdennison7 something like “et tu Bunpro?” :joy:

@jameselias Totally agree with you! We have plans for at least Hiroshima, Hokkaido and Hakata (Fukuoka) dialects at some point. A lot of that will be down to how well we can source reliable information and good example sentences.

12 Likes

Holy h— , that’s way sooner than I expected. You guys keep astounding me with the speed you guys manage to push out content!

Hype!

10 Likes

I’m a lifetimer, but I just wanna add how commendable this is. I really respect you guys for keeping things accessible to those who need it.

Also so incredibly hype for the upcoming releases! Especially the 関西弁 deck :eyes:

15 Likes

If you ever do branch into Aomori dialects like 南部弁 or 津軽弁, let me know - I happen to know of some print only copies of dictionaries or guides for these dialects, and example sentences are easy to come by too! いくべ!

10 Likes

Boughteted! I like this place a lot so far. :slightly_smiling_face:
たんでぃがーたんでぃ! for the discount.
^ can you guess the dialect? : P

7 Likes

no idea :sweat: haha

3 Likes

I’m excited for all of the upcoming content. Man, that’s a LOT of context sentences, half a novel at least!

Out of curiosity, what language and framework is the app built on?

3 Likes

Miyakojima’s language, fufu.

3 Likes

It is being built in Flutter currently :+1:

6 Likes

Massive W to Bunpro for helping Japanese learners to not only learn grammar, but also to learn vocab and practice listening with an accessible service :fire:

4 Likes

I’d be interested to know where you can join the beta—and whether you can do it only in the app or also on the computer :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Amazing, I had hoped the conjugation tool was on the more immediate roadmap!

3 Likes

It’s on web, but I don’t know about the app since I don’t use it.

4 Likes

Great stuff, I have the lifetime but I think the prices are very reasonable for the quality of the content and how quickly new things are added. :+1:
For the app will there be the ability to do reviews offline so that it syncs when you reconnect to the internet

8 Likes

Thanks for the great work!
Looking forward the future content and features!

5 Likes

Is it possible to buy another year in advance (mine goes until August)? While I like the idea of supporting Bunpro by going for the lifetime membership, I’m not sure I can justify the current 5x price over the yearly subscription. I don’t anticipate (I’m sure most don’t) using Bunpro indefinitely. At some point, you exhaust the learning material. Even with the SRS, the idea is you reach a point where the bulk of your time is spent interacting with “real” Japanese instead of concentrated study.

4 Likes