~(よ)う+としても Even though I try

I am going through the textbook: 中級へ行こう 第2版, and have come across the grammar point

V1(volitional)+としても、V2‐ない = Even though I try V1, its does not V2

Is this point in Bunpro written another way, or is it a missing point?
Does anyone have any further reading resources on this point

Here you are:

1 Like

ok great. So it is this grammar point (とする)、conjugated to add the negative verb, to change it from “attempt to” → “attempted but does not…”
Is that about it?

1 Like

Yeah. Your example is a conjugation of とする and within the example sentences, there is one that is conjugated as per your example.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you.

Interesting then that this text book presents the grammar point only as I originally wrote above

1 Like

That’s the thing with different conjugations, if a separate lesson was made for each conjugation, the site would end up with a really intimidating number of lessons. It’s the same with text books - I’m sure you could find a few examples in your textbook that teach many conjugations for the same grammar within the same lesson.
I do agree though, this would be nice as a separate one.

Yeah I agree you could not possibly put all conjugations of a certain grammar point up, which i’m generally fine with. At this stage, if I understand the base grammar point then the conjugations of it usually naturally make sense.
Once it starts really changing the meaning though, I think it could branch off into its own point, but obviously thats a logistical thing for Bunpro.

Perhaps this textbook just assumed the reader already knew とする, and therefore this was building on that. (its an intermediate text book, so obviously there will be holes in any non-beginner lvl book in what the reader has previously learnt)

1 Like