Verb[volitional]とする - ~ようとする・~おうとする - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
try to・attempt to・to be about to

Structure:
Verb[ よう ] + とする

Explanation:
[An action/attempt that requires effort, targets direct goals ・ Past tense suggests failure or lack of knowledge about result]

:warning: Verb[よう]としても(even if someone attempts to) can be contracted to Verb[よう] + たって/ったって。

View on Bunpro

I don’t think the alternate answers are valid.

1 Like

Fixed :laughing:

Sorry for that :bowing_man:

1 Like

It was really not obvious from the translation that this needed to be in ても form. Now that I know the answer, the Japanese makes sense. But it’s hard to get this Japanese just from the English.

2 Likes

I bunpro392

Thanks for informing us about the issue!

I fixed it so that there should be no confusion. What do you think? :+1:

The “remember about conjugation” hint? Can’t say it would have helped. But I can’t think of a better wording for the English translation that would tell you to use ても form.

Also 何回も in color :wink:

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I really like the note next to the caution icon:

:warning: Verb[よう]としても(even if someone attempts to) can be contracted to Verb[よう] + たって/ったって。

…as it explains how its composed in terms of other grammar (albeit briefly), as I had wrote about a while back in a feature request.

I’m hoping this means I can expect more in the future ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I find the title of ~ようとする is a bit confusing at times.

Wouldn’t naming it “Verb[ volitional ] + とする” be much more fitting instead?

2 Likes

@Pep95 Sounds much more fitting! I have updated the title of the grammar point to match your suggestion. Cheers!

1 Like