Feedback - Bug Reports

Can “Noto Sans CJK JP” be added to font-family css entries? I have no idea why but .otf versions of Noto Sans JP don’t work on my system and I can’t find ttf ones anywhere.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
beginner here, i’ve just started grammar and i’m following kim tae’s guide.
I’m really confused as to why some grammar point aren’t split in two.

I’ve just encountered 日本に住んでいる外国人 with the でいる form in a review on the relative clauses, which is something that’s absolutely not taught by kim tae at this point. What’s up with that? It’s just really confusing for a beginner like me who’s already struggling enough with more basic grammar point…

It’s like conjugation of る and う verbs. Why not split in two, have a grammar point for casual speech and one for formal speech. Heck you could even be more modular and split past and present and positive and negative!
I basically had to skip ahead 15 lesson in kim tae’s path to learn how to conjugate in formal speech, just so i could pass the review.

I don’t get why you what you’re trying to do here, telling us we can follow our favorite path when bunpro’s grammar point clearly aren’t modular enough to allow that.

Really hope this is on the list of improvements to make.

1 Like

Bunpro started out with their own grammar lessons. Example sentences generally stick to that order of introducing grammar, which is pretty understandable. If they made everything so it fits with Tae Kim, people who use Genki or Minna no Nihongo might complain. You can’t please everyone at the same time.

As for your specific example, 〜ている appears in N5 lesson 5, while relative clauses appear in N5 lesson 6.

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s a reason for it to be that way. I’m just exposing what i think should be done to improve the integration of “other paths” for learning japanese grammar with bunpro’s SRS.

I’d like to argue that you can. In my first message i said i believe that lessons should be more modular. The more different points you have in a lesson, the more difficult it is to adjust it to different paths. Split them and have them focus on more specific grammar points, that way you can adjust lesson more to each path.

2 Likes

The downside is that you could only ever get extremely simplistic sentences, if you insist on there only being one grammar point in each sentence. I’ve noticed that some review sentences that contain multiple grammar points allow you to click on the words that form the additional grammar point, which takes you to the respective grammar page. That could be a decent solution. It’d allow you to quickly look something up while reviewing.

5 Likes

I’ve wanted to report this problem for a while, but haven’t taken screenshots.

So this is how my review looked when I moved on from it (I literally hit screenshot right before pressing enter):

But the summery says I got it wrong:

Now I did use the oops/undo button (once I think for this review) to correct a minor mistake, but when I moved on it was definitely correct, but it was recorded as wrong.

This is not the first time this has happened. In fact it happens every so often. Not every time I use the undo button obviously, not even most of the time. But often enough that it is noticeable (1-2 times a week perhaps).

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this used to be like this, but I can’t seem to hide the English sentences in the example sentences during reviews. Is this intended? Works fine if I’m looking through them in the grammar page.

1 Like

When i only have one review, i sometime have to make the review 5 or 6 times before it’s actually accounted for.
Bunpro is super slow where i am (France), now i don’t know if it’s linked, but this could be due to packet loss or something. So when i have only one review and i type the correct answer, the answer doesn’t turn green or red, it stays gray. I press enter, and the review ends, i get the summary screen, but the review is still there in the upper bar (“Review: 1”). I quit the summary screen go back to the main screen, click on the review, and it’s the same review. I type the correct answer, same stuff, answer doesn’t turn green. I sometime have to take the review FIVE OR SIX TIMES before the answer turns green and the review disappear.
Note that this has also happened when i have multiple reviews. Sometime (almost always actually) the first review of the batch will have this bug, turn grey, and it will come back later in the review (so it’s less “annoying”, but still a bit of a PITA).

I can deal with a slow site, but this is starting to make me go crazy tbh.

3 Likes

Lately Bunpro has become increasingly laggy and unresponsive, to the point where it is difficult to even complete a review session. I opened the browser console and noticed a ton of error messages like Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'enjoyHintElementSelector' of undefined. Perhaps that’s related.

My browser is Google Chrome 79.0.3945.119 (Official Build) (64-bit) in case that matters.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t 示す be read しめす not あらわす

3 Likes

It seems that the recent grammar points, with id higher than 774 or about cannot be selected for cram. The json returned for those points is empty.

If I make a cram session with an older point and a new one, only question for the old one appears, and if i make a cram session with only recent items, the console spew an error because there is no question returned.

3 Likes

Currently, I am logged in to www.bunpro.jp, that means that every link that doesn’t have www will redirect me to the log in page, despite the fact that I’m logged in. But apparently with and without www acts as two separate logins/websites. Please resolve this in whatever way you choose. (Always redirecting people to the site without www, or somehow being logged in to both without having to log in twice (not even sure if this works since I don’t know what the problem is), or something else.)

Or maybe I’m the only one that has this problem? I use MacOS Sierra 10.13.6 with Safari 12.1.1

1 Like

Audio says あきち instead of くうち

3 Likes

Do you have the reviews the app tells you you have also on the website?
There is a bug where the app can display reviews that are actually already done… if you happen to have that, the review site from within the app is unable to load them since there are none.

1 Like

Some grammar points like ‘N4 Lesson 1: 15 なくて’ wont load in cram. If you select it by itself, the page gets stuck in the “Loading cram session!” screen. Tried it on Firefox, chrome, and Samsung internet on mobile.

2 Likes

These quotation marks need closing :smile:

4 Likes

@MissDagger Thank you for your report. We have not yet been able to reproduce this issue on our end but are looking into what might be the cause. We hope to have a solution available soon. We will also make any www links redirect to https. Thank you for your patience. Cheers.

@sandalwood Thank you for your question. Displaying English sentences in the example sentences during reviews is intended. The grammar information included in reviews is there to give you a quick refresher or an “at-a-glance” look at the grammar point so that you can double check any nuances that you may have missed. We may add the option to hide English sentences during reviews in the future. Cheers!

@Jarkfander and @11146 Thank you both for your reports on the site’s load times. We are working on improving all-around speed and performance. Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

@Johnathan-Weir Nice spots! Fixed. Cheers!

@LucPitipuis and @HeyAmbo Thank you for your reports on custom cram sessions not loading particular items. We hope to have a fix available soon. Cheers!

@matt_in_mito Thank you for drawing this to our attention. All fixed. Cheers!

2 Likes

I wish I could give you more info of when a review is recorded as wrong when I left it as correct, but I haven’t noticed a pattern. It tends to happen when I use oops multiple times, but since it isn’t always recorded as wrong (at the end) when I do that… :woman_shrugging:

I started wondering if it was after getting it wrong and oopsing multiple times (also not 100% sure that using the oops button multiple times is part of the problem) that when I got it correct I moved on so quickly that it didn’t have a chance to notice it was correct this time, despite showing green (and it still remembered I’d gotten it wrong). But I haven’t tried to test it because when I leave a review as correct, I want it to stay correct. :joy:

2 Likes

Disappearing placeholder in reviews.
In reviews, phrases contain a ____ placeholder, with sometimes a grayed hint inside (like polite for example). When I fail and hit the oops button (which I shouldn’t) I’m given a second try, but the placeholder and the hint disappear. Then, often I’m almost lost. Is there any way to fix this please ?

2 Likes

This is very minor problem but, since I’m red/green color deficient, I can hardly see the grammar points that I’ve studied or not without looking super closely.

2 Likes