Feedback - Bug Reports

Found this weird box on the N5 grammer point about たくさん

2 Likes

@Nadie Thank you for letting us know! Should be all fixed. Please let us know if you see something like this pop up elsewhere. Cheers!

1 Like

I found an inconsistency with this example sentence:

The audio says “顔だけで…”, there’s no “見た”.

1 Like

Something missing here…

“er than” should probably be “better than”?

The audio for this says このリンゴは高すぎる。And there’s also no report error button (a common problem it seems).

1 Like

@GregX999
Hey :smiley:

1. The sentence has been marked as needing new recording :+1:

2. Fixed :+1:

Thanks for the feedback!

Hey :grin:

The sentence has been marked as needing new recording!

Thank you for informing us!
Cheers!

It won’t display an “All Lessons Complete” stamp for N5 for some reason.

2 Likes

Hey, sometimes when I get an answer wrong, then use backspace to correct it, it still gets marked as wrong on the review summary page, despite counting as a correct answer during the review session. With the additional fun of getting extra ghost reviews. Happens a few times a week, I suppose, and has been for ages. It’s getting annoying enough for me to finally report it.

2 Likes

First, I haven’t looked through all 870 threads to see if anyone has reported this previously so if it’s already captured, then you can ignore…

I mentioned this in a previous post, but I have more detail now…There is definitely an issue with how you are pulling in the WK information for displaying furigana.

I came across this in lesson 360 this morning:

I couldn’t figure out the first word (to end). So I looked it up on WK and it’s a Level 10 word. I’m still on level 9. Then I thought maybe I’ve seen the kanji before and sure enough…I have NOT…it’s also level 10. So why was the furigana hidden? It certainly shouldn’t be …right?

Unless this is a single point bug, somehow what is being pulled in from WK isn’t lining up with what I should already know. When I mentioned this before, I thought it was because of WK assuming you knew all of the vocab from the level you were at. It’s hard to explain so let me give an example.

When studying on WK, you gain levels as you learn radicals/kanji, and if you just follow the normal WK learning pattern, you get the vocab for the levels after you unlock the appropriate vocab. But that means most of us level up when we are still learning the vocab from the previous level…

Start WK level -

• Radicals… Start lessons (after starting radicals - say about 20) kanji unlocks
  • Kanji…start kanji lessons (while still reviewing radicals)…then vocab unlocks (not all of it)
  • —as you study, more lessons unlock for vocab and kanji…
  • At some point, you will ‘guru’ 90% of the radicals and kanji and then you move up a level.
  • meanwhile you are still studying vocabulary and depending on the speed you are studying at (the effect is more pronounced if you are not going at full speed)…
  • New lessons continue to be vocab from the previous level until you complete most of it …

The problem as I see it…

• Assuming a level 15 user is fully proficient at that level is incorrect. Depending on where that user is, if they just got to level 15, they haven’t even started level 15 vocab and if they are at the end and about to level up to 16, depending on how they do lessons, it’s likely they haven’t seen all the level 15 vocab when the level up. Then taking their level to level 16 from the API only repeats the problem…

A simple solution (I think it should be simple to implement)…

• Query the users WK level from the API key and subtract 1. So if it says a user is level 11 then you set their level to level 10 for disabling furigana.

• Also the WK level should take into account VOCAB terms only. Just because someone has seen the kanji doesn’t mean they know the vocab/readings for everything the kanji term is attached to.

What I believe this would do (if done correctly), is avoid making the user look anything up except for the one or two vocab words that might be at the end of a level, but I expect most people would see them in a few days if the hadn’t done their lessons.

2 Likes

I wonder if this used to be a lower-level kanji. Does anyone know if the level ordering of kanji got shifted around during the last WK update? Maybe that’s what caused this.

If you’re on a PC or laptop though, I’d recommend getting an extension like rikaikun or Yomichan (those particular links are for Google Chrome) to make dictionary lookups effortless. You’ll want to get super comfortable with dictionaries as you study Japanese, anyway :wink:

2 Likes

You’re right…it may be this one item and maybe it’s an oversight or simple one off bug…and it could be the update that they did in Nov/Dec last year. Which annoys me because I don’t have access to the old pneumonics…signed up afterwards they made the change. Really wish I did have access though. The new ones aren’t that strong (if they are trying to be less offensive/less vivid that’s great but they aren’t as memorable and I don’t want to make my own for every single item if I’m already paying for WK)…I know you folks that have been around a while can switch in the preferences to them off and on, but that’s not available for those of us that signed up in aftewards. anyway that’s a side thing…nothing to do with BP…

It has been quite a while since the update so I’d think that someone would have checked to see what the differences might be…should be something that could be automated for easy checking (I’d think)…if you can’t export all WK items…then someone like yourself near or close to level 60 with everything unlocked, but export all unlocked items and compare with a previous listing of all items…auto search for differences and the list should be small…anyway…

Have plenty of them! …have a physical dictionary (kodansha) that’s always on the desk. I like them because I don’t need an internet/computer or electricity to study…can take it on vacation/camping/etc…whatever…and of course have them on the cell phone/etc…

It’s not about looking up things, that’s really not an issue. The whole point is that if I’m using WK I want to be able to practice my WK knowledge outside of WK…so if I see something w/o furigana I feel that I should recognize what it means and how to read it…right? If there’s no furigana and I have no idea and it isn’t unlocked it’s confusing…I’m thinking did I see this before? what have I forgotten…

That’s my point…so if you took and said ok…furigana for your VOCAB (not kanji) if using the WK API key will be turned off for all levels below your current one. That way new vocab you are currently learning or haven’t learned yet, don’t look like things you should already know. I do see this now, when I see something that’s new L9 vocab, but the furigana is off (but I haven’t learned it yet)…I find it annoying…so my suggestion is simple really…

If I’m level 50 and using the WK API key…furigana off for levels 1-49 items (on for 50+)
If I’m level 38 and using the WK API key…furigana off for levels 1-37 items (on for 38+)
Level 9…then turn off furigana for levels 1-8…on for everything else…
Level -1 for furigana…that’s what I’m really suggesting…

1 Like

Hello, I’ve the exact opposite problem. I input my WK API, I tried with the API V1 and the personal access token, and neither of them seems to work. Sure, it’s save and all, but I still have furigana on every single kanji.
I hope there is an easy solution (and maybe it was on this thread, but I didn’t read the 800+ posts… shame on me)
Have a good day!

1 Like

assuming you already checked but if not…this might be the issue…
even if you put in your api key…you can toggle furigana separately…off/on/wanikani

make sure it’s set for WK…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is there absolutely nothing you can do about the message that says “body seems unclear, are you sure this is a complete sentence?” Every time I type romaji within my Japanese sentence, it flags it and won’t let me post. I understand BunPro don’t own the forum, but is there a setting you can change on your end or something?

2 Likes

Here’s another recording that’s wrong, this one says 私はサッカーをするのが上手です。¨

And this one is the same with 私 instead of 彼
Same with this one.
And this one.

Ha… Thanks… Honestly? I’m feeling stupid. '^^
Thanks again, you spare me a lot of trouble. And sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

not a problem…ask me how I knew how to fix it … lol

3 Likes

I am not sure whether it is a bug: I can study 3 topics, once I get to the review and submit, nothing happens, not ok not fail nothing submit turns a lighter shade of grey, that is all. I cannot continue
In the Upper right corner it say 100% 0/0

1 Like

@lopicake Thank you for letting us know. We have fix ready that we will push soon. Cheers! Edit: @lopicake Fixed!

@1112 Thank you for reporting this. We apologize for the inconvenience. We will look into what might be causing this and hopefully have a fix ready for you soon. Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

@Schuylerca Thank you very much for your detailed posts and suggestions. How we pull WK furigana has been on our to-do list for a little while and we hope that we can implement some changes to how/when it pulls information from the API soon. Your detailed input will help us in putting the correct changes into place. Cheers!

@matt_in_mito

I think that I got this straightened out. Please let me know if you are still getting this message. Cheers!

@Nadie Thank you for reporting these audio mismatches. We are currently reworking the audio for these items and hope to have new audio up soon. Cheers!

@LKetonen Thank you for sending us an email! Glad that everything got worked out. Please let us know if you have any issues or if there is anything that we can do to improve your experience. Cheers!

3 Likes