Feedback - General

@Jake What is your general policy for when to require full grammar in the answer and when you give some of it away. I just did a review where the sentence ended with 安く見える. I only had to answer with みえる since 安く was given. However, knowing to convert adjectives to adverbs is part of the grammar point, so shouldn’t you require us to fully type やすくみえる?

1 Like

This is an excellent observation. Currently, reviews appear at random in your review queue. We will see what we can do to prioritize items that are overdue. Thank you for your suggestion. Cheers!

@seanblue We do not necessarily have any sort of policy on how we quiz you on a particular grammar point. However, we believe that providing you with varying degrees of difficultly forces you to pay closer attention to what surrounds the grammar point, not just the grammar point itself. Sometimes we will ask you to provide additional information, such as the adjective in your example, but we also want you to be able to immediately associate certain conjugations/alterations with certain grammar points. That being said, we are constantly updating Bunpro with alternative answers and changing how we quiz you. Cheers!

4 Likes

@mrnoone I think you should change this N4 sentence so it doesn’t use the [よう]とする grammar (which is N3). The sentence is for たところ.

お茶を飲もうとしたところティーバッグがないと分かった。[する]

1 Like

Is there a reason why you use the orange text in the example sentence but not the study question? Grammar point 90.

1 Like

It was used that way to point past tense, but wasn’t consistent with later sentences. I made it uniform now.
Thank you for pointing it out!

Good, didn’t know if that was a bug or just info you didn’t want to give in the study question.

1 Like

The ように grammar point is displayed as ように/ような, but the みたいに grammar point is displayed as みたいに・みたいな. These should be made consistent.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for pointing it, it has been fixed :+1:

1 Like

次どの言語を習うか考えているところです。
I am just thinking of what language to learn next.

This is listed under https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/135, shouldn’t it be listed under https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/150? It has teiru in it, and it means ‘in middle of thinking’, not ‘about to think’.

1 Like

I don’t see that sentence under either grammar point.

1 Like

@seanblue BunPro edited the sentence!

1 Like

That was fast!

1 Like

@nitzi

Yes, we have changed the sentence immediately :+1:
Thank you for pointing the mistake!

1 Like

grammar explanation for If … has i adjective plus kattara, but shouldnt it be i adjective minus the i, kattara, at least for one of the first sentences says if you want to go…
and marks "ikitakattara " as the correct answer.
or maybe this is a grammar misunderstanding on my part

1 Like

First of all, very nice avatar :wink:

Ok, coming back to the problem:
The explanation is a bit unclear, and we are aware of that:
いAdj[かった]・ら means that it is かった(past) form of the adjective + ら。
So 悲しい -> 悲しかった -> 悲しかったら

I am writing FAQ for symbols used in explanations and it will appear soon! It should solve the problem.

1 Like

thanks for the reply, it is more clear now

1 Like

Any update on when additional sentences will be added for N3? I recently encountered two grammar points “in the wild” but didn’t add to them for reviews because they were in N3 lessons 8 and 9, which still only have three sentences.

Suggestion for the ‘report error’ input during reviews: please consider to disable auto-send after pressing Enter. When typing Japanese letters without choosing an IME suggestion I simply press Enter but sometimes that results in sending the form instead of confirming the hiragana input. So you might have got a lot of unfinished error reports due to the auto-send on Enter feature. I think pressing the submit button to submit is fine.

I don’t remember where the feedback for ほか was mentioned, so I’ll mention this here. I appreciate all the new information explaining all the differences, but I think it’s hard to read right now. There’s just so much information that it’s hard to process. Instead of putting all the information in the orange section:

1. 他A means: other A. 2-4 AほかB mean in addition to A/besides A, B. 5-7 means nothing but/ not~ other than/ not except for A. この/あの/その can be skipped if it is clear what speaker/writer is referring to. 2-7 can be used without following particle in formal writing. 他に/にも/も/には/ all mean mostly the same thing. Though は has a stronger tendency to appear in negative sentences so try to not use it in affirmative ones, 他にも/他も doesn’t appear with negative sentences and この他 is being used with nearby things.

Have you considered adding a page specifically for this grammar point and linking to it as one of the readings? You could even add a few very specific examples on that explanation page to make it clear.

We are working to make it clearer :+1:
Breaking line etc!

Do you mean a page for ほか + ない?
If so, it is in progress:wink:

I tried to explain a bit under examples, so even if the explanation from the main page seems overwhelming, the example section should make it easier.