Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I meant during reviews. Unless that is a review?

Oh, that’s in the example sentences. I don’t see any audio in reviews.

@Frodo557 Thank you for your feedback! This is something that we can definitely look into getting added. We apologize that you are not getting accurate readings on your stats. Thank you for your patience! Cheers!

@Ambo100 Thank you for providing that link! We have added it to the site. We are trying to gather more explanations/outside resources for similar grammar points so that we can add them to the site as well as their respective grammar discussion pages. We would love to hear any more suggestions that you might have. Cheers!

@charlesbriere This is a great idea and actually quite similar to something that we have planned to add to Bunpro once we have fleshed out and polished the content already on the site. Stay tuned. Cheers!

@Kabukiman We apologize for not yet having a way to toggle audio speed in reviews. We are reworking/fixing audio that is currently on the site. Once we get everything straightened away we will update reviews to perform how you would expect. Thank you for your patience. Similar to @charlesbriere’s suggestion, this is also something that we have planned for the future. We hope to have something for you soon. Cheers!

Hey :grin:

It is proper Japanese.

をください
is expressing request to give something to speaker or "speaker’s people (but in this case the person has to be marked with に)

この子に風船をください。
Balloon for this child, please. (this is something you can say to clerk when buying a balloon for your child)

So, 明日までに電話をください is a request to give a phone call to the speaker himself and no one else.

On the other hand, 電話してください (etc) is a request in general, there is no information within the expression itself about who listener is asked to call.
It can be known from context, or from saying it out loud. It is also not limited to the speaker, or his “people”.

So:
明日までに(私に/彼に/彼女に/そこに/ここに)電話をしてください。

2 Likes

Id love to have a way to mark grammar as already learned (if we have previously studied it) so we don’t have to work around them.

I’d also like to know how the SRS works if that’s possible. It seems like I see each grammar everyday until it’s finally near the 7-10 times range. I’d prefer it to be more like Anki and Memrise were we see them slightly less often every time we get it right. Would save me a lot of time each day on ones I know better than others.

Thanks!!

@chadzimmerman Hello! Thank you for your inquiry. We currently have a way to mark grammar points as “known” next to the reset review and remove review buttons under the Meaning and Readings tabs of each grammar point. However, this means that you first need to add the review to your study queue. We are in the process of adding an “I know this!” button to individual grammar points so that you can mark them off as learned without first adding them to your review queue.

The SRS algorithm is 4hrs, 8hrs, 24hrs, 2 days, 4 days, 8 days, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months for finished. This means that you should be seeing grammar points less and less often if you are getting them correct.

If you have gotten a grammar point incorrect, a ghost review will be added for that sentence. This means that the sentence that you have gotten incorrect will appear alongside your normal SRS reviews in intervals of 4 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, and 48 hrs. This means that you will see your ghost sentence four times over the course of the next four days in addition to your normal reviews. You can change how ghost reviews work or simply turn them off in your settings.

Hope this answers your questions! Cheers!

1 Like

I’m going to echo calls for a listening component. One thing I’ve been looking for is even just a spot that gathers all of my studied grammar audio sentences without having to go to each individual grammar page.

One thing I like to do is pass my laptop to my partner, and have him choose random sentences so I can just listen and try and translate – he tells me if I’ve gotten it right. We used to do that back in April with the audio from each grammar section, but now that I know a lot more I’d like to randomize it a bit more, and having him click around would slow it down too much.

So yeah, a purpose-built audio listening option would be great. I’m one of those learners whose listening skills are lagging quite a bit behind their reading and writing, and since BunPro has really good bones for listening practice it seems like it would be a really good fit.

2 Likes

@DoubleEmMartin Thank you for your comment! Incorporating listening, shadowing and even speaking into Bunpro is something that we would love to experiment with! Having an audio-only review mode is something that is definitely feasible and it is something that we can look into. Thank you for your suggestion. If you have any other suggestions or insight on how we can tune Bunpro to improve your studies, please do not hesitate to let us know. Cheers!

1 Like

@Pushindawood I’d like a way to remove individual Ghost reviews. I try to be strict with myself so an item drops in the SRS if there was any uncertainty. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that I always want or need the resulting Ghost review. (I know I can change it in settings, but I don’t want to change it across the board.)

An alternative approach would be that when you get a review wrong there can be a button/checkbox/whatever to indicate whether a Ghost review will be added. For each wrong review, you can have it selected initially based on the user’s settings, but this would allow all users to decide at a more fine grained level if they want the extra reviews for a particular sentence.

1 Like

I think it would be good to include synonyms for grammar points that have Kanji readings.

I recently learned ‘お陰で’ on Wanikani and I couldn’t find the grammar point on Bunpro unless I searched ‘おかげで’. In fairness though, Jisho says that it is usually written in Kana alone.

1 Like

I think that’s more a WaniKani problem than a Bunpro problem.

1 Like

True, there are many, many words on WK that are primarily written in Kana. Sometimes though, the Kanji form of a grammar point can give a bit of help regarding the meaning.

1 Like

Search:

• please show Japanese AND English translation (below, smaller font size). As for now, it’s impossible to distinguish between many grammar points if ONLY the one or the other is shown (example: searching for “verb” or “passive” gives me lot’s of results with just the name “verb” and no other information. Impossible to find the requested grammar point.
  • feature suggestion: is it possible to use the grammar search by URL? Example:
    https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points?search=passive
    Would open the grammar page and trigger the search to look for the string in the URL. With this I could easily open your grammar search from an ANKI card or any website by using a button/link
1 Like

Review:

• Give the option to play the audio / automatically play the audio for the sentence when correct. - Scratch that thought, I noticed that if you disable the Bunny mode, then it also plays the audio :smiley:

Grammar:

• Add the question words to the learning list would be nice, however I’m not sure if it is considered pure grammar but according to Imabi there are subtle differences in the usage as I just learned.
    ** Who - だれ → だれですか → だれだ(よ)
    ** What - なに → なにですか → なんだ(よ)
    ** When - いつ → いつですか → いつ
    ** Where - どこ → どこですか → どこだ(よ)
    ** Why - どうして → どうしてですか → どうしてだ(よ)

• Add the other Word+Questionmarker, as you already have なんか
    ** 誰か (だれか) - Someone
    ** 何か (なんか) - Something
    ** いつか - Sometime
    ** どこか - Somewhere
    ** どれか - A certain one from many

1 Like

@Anthropos888 Thank you for your feedback! Showing both the Japanese and the English translation(s) within the same tile is what we originally had in mind and plan to implement in the near future. We wanted to get everyone a more viable search and reference tool as quickly as we could and decided that getting the code to show textbook and JLPT information up and running was a priority. We hope to have search results that display both English and Japanese to you soon. Thank you for your patience.

We currently have the ability to search grammar by URL. You can use grammar_points?query= ( https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points?query=だ for example). Currently it is a little on the slow side, but we have an update prepared for the near future. Cheers!

@Andulien Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. We will look into expanding on points that require a little more explanation of their subtle differences and nuances. We will also consider adding question words and words with question markers. Cheers!

3 Likes

Indeed, the URL is working! Good job, saves me a lot of time when I want to look up grammar from my Anki cards. The site speed is slow, but acceptable

2 Likes

Another set that seems to be missing is:
こちら
そちら
あちら

And if you decide to add question words, then obviously also:
どちら

Since you added the other ones like ここ and これ these above should not be missed.

One more Edit, I’m also missing ます and its forms:
V + ます & ません & ました & ませんでした

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions! I have added those to the “to do list” too. :+1:

1 Like

I just added a few more to my previous post.

1 Like

The polite/honorific/humble speech lessons will be revamped soon :smile:

2 Likes