Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Hello,

Yes if you get the pro that has dictate. Currently it does a pretty good job but uses kanji, so then I just quickly on in and change it to hiragana.

So the guy has not made any thing for Bunpro yet. But he just made a Japanese dictate mode for me . I use it to quickly write down words I don’t know when I am reading and now for Bunpro. (=

its currently free to use for anki and the there a cheaper version that is awesome for wanikani.

4 Likes

Hi,

I couldn’t read the whole thread, so maybe it was already proposed, but when learning new grammar point, when we are quizzed about it just after, can we have more than one sentence? like maybe 5 or 10, so we can get a feel for the new expression?

3 Likes

@foodsam Welcome to the community! As @matt_in_mito mentioned, kanji answers are something that we would like to implement in the future. We currently have a framework set up for kanji answers, but it is not as simple as just changing the current answers to accept their kanji equivalents. There are a number of alternative answers and answers that throw hints/warnings rather than marking you incorrect that also need to be accounted for. Once we feel that these alternative answers have been fleshed out and we have filled in missing grammar points, we will be able to focus on other features like kanji answers. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Cheers!

@Kuromaku Thank you for your suggestion. We hope to have something for you before too long. Cheers!

@Anthropos888 We hear you loud and clear. However, since we are very close to finishing up the remaining Tobira grammar points, this feature might have to wait until we add new grammar later down the road. We apologize for not having this feature readily available to you and appreciate your understanding. Cheers!

@LucPitipuis Welcome to the community! Have you tried the Cram feature? Cram draws from every available study question in our database to cover a variety of situations and nuances. :warning:︎While using Cram does not affect your normal review SRS, you may start to associate sentences with specific answers, which may affect your ability to legitimately recall a grammar point. Use with caution. Cheers!

4 Likes

Since I think the plan is to cover everything in Tobira, maybe this is an 言うまでもないことだが I noticed that the ある◯ grammar point doesn’t seem to be listed anywhere (not even as a grayed-out to-be-added point).

I wanted to check if it changes to いる if the grammar is being used to refer to someone/something animate, like いる人 or いる友達, but I couldn’t because it’s なさそう here :frowning:

Edit: This use of ある◯ to mean “a certain ◯” is actually 或る, not 有る, and therefore it does not change to 居る (いる) for animate people/animals/things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are there any plans to add grammar points and sentences for counters? Besides the common counters for thin objects, long objects, small objects, books, cups etc., there are also counters that are quite vague and difficult (when to use which?): 頭, 台, 軒 etc.

BTW, what’s the Japanese term for “counter”?

3 Likes

Ooh that sounds neat!

In the mean time, this thread talks about a few methods to learn counters yourself while you’re waiting for possible Bunpro features :wink:

2 Likes

I think it’s 助数詞. I found this by searching a Japanese dictionary for words I knew were counters and seeing how it labeled them.

3 Likes

I’d really love to be able to “favourite” grammar, adding it to an easily accessible shortlist. I haven’t found a way to do this.

For example, there are grammar points which I want to research more when I have time. So when reviewing or even just browsing all grammar if there was something like a little :heart: icon we could click to add to a Favourites list that would be awesome.

7 Likes

I’ve suggested this before as well, and I could still really use this feature.

4 Likes

I agree, somewhat. For now, though, I just bookmark them into their own folder in my browser. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

i’m sorry for posting it here, but I’ve paid subscription for a month with paypal this morning (about 6 hours ago) and i still can’t get bunpro to work, always redirected to subscription page. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hey :blush:

I have contacted person responsible, it should be activated soon!
By the way, are you using the same email for paypal and bunpro?
If not, please PM it to me or @Pushindawood :+1:

Sorry for the inconvienience!

2 Likes

thank you. waiting for my subs to be activated, maybe i’ll use card later :blush:

oh yeah paypal and bunpro are using same email.

1 Like

Maybe even a way to make your own little lists :open_mouth:

1 Like

This is probably more trouble than it’s worth, but on the off chance that I’m wrong, I think it’d be cool to have a preview pop-up window if you mouseover a grammar point links on the forums here. For example:

https://bunpro.jp/grammar_points/117

There’s no way to know which grammar point this is without actually clicking through :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A lot of grammar points have 3-4 structure rules describing how the rule can use nouns, verbs, い/な-adjectives, but at least in the N5-N4 rules, 90%+ of them appear to fall into 2 cases - an attributive clause (plain form verb, い-adjective, noun の・な, な-adjective な) or a predicative clause (plain form verb, い-adjective, noun だ, な-adjective だ). I’m not sure that is the proper nomenclature, but I’m pretty certain the rules are consistent.

I think it would feel a lot simpler and more flexible for users if these two groups were defined in the glossary and referenced, and exceptions noted, rather than listing all cases every time.

1 Like

I prefer them listed every time. I hate when grammar sources like Tobira say “this grammar point follows rule A”. I don’t know what that rule is and now I have to cross reference it to understand how the grammar point works.

1 Like

To me, these are at the same level of generality as Verb-て. They are consistent throughout Japanese grammar. Just as I think it would be too noisy to list the rules for て-form every time, so do I find it noisy to list these. It makes it much harder to pinpoint the few cases which are the exception.

In the same vein, I wish there were grammar points explicitly addressing copulas (な, だ, -い, -く, etc.). If you treat them as irregular verbs they fit directly into most rules that deal with verbs (e.g. -たら)

1 Like

I agree, those A, B, C rules are just confusing and don’t help understanding the grammar. I also find Bunpro’s additional structure explanations most of the time way too confusing because of the excessive use of A, B and C which isn’t meaningful at all.

Yes, this way it would be a lot easier to recognize AND memorize exceptions. Bunpro could just keep it simple with one sentence, for example, for all the grammar points starting with 〜はず、こと etc:
“Conjugated like a NOUN”
Then it’s clear that it’s the standard conjugation with の and な for nouns and na-adjectives. Clicking on the sentence “Conjugated like a NOUN” could then expand the list with the individual conjugations below it.

3 Likes

A few things.

So, the part in the blank area that sometimes says things like "polite’ and whatnot would be better if they were above the blank part, that way they don’t disappear when I start typing.

iru/eru 一段と五段 drills. mixing these up has been my number one reason for screwing up a review. I would love it if there was just a cram option for converting an iru/eru verb into its て-form to practicing memorizing which ones are 五段 and which are 一段.

Swap the Examples and Readings tabs? Seems kind of silly to have the example sentences before the readings even if you can just freely click between them, but this might just be the perfectionist in me.

Trying to search “imperative” doesn’t bring up the imperative form. It doesn’t bring up anything at all.

3 Likes