Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Congrats! I have 20 more days myself. :slight_smile: Hopefully they make it by then~~.

3 Likes

Would it be possible to make the buttons that show on top of the profile page customizable in the phone layout?

Mainly because I would rather have “study” and “review” show on my phone instead of the scary reset button directly next to the menu…

5 Likes

i have an other suggestion and i don’t know if we have that feature or can it be done but here it’s my two cents.

since the subscribtion page adresses the billing options as upgrades, how about making a discount to users have already yearly subscription? not suggesting to make a whole year of amount a let’s say a 10% or whatever seems suitable.

it may increase the user base, it may be not. who knows:thinking:

2 Likes

と並んで and にそって don’t seem to be interchangeable at all but they both share alot of “in line with” meanings in the sentences and I’m finding it confusing.

I don’t agree with how the “in line with” English sounds in a all of the と並んで examples and I think it sounds better with “along with” instead which would also help distinct the two grammar points as well.

The four examples in と並んで

The University of Tokyo, in line with Keio University and Waseda University, are considered to be Japan’s best universities.

Distracted driving has become a primary cause of traffic accidents, in line with speeding.

Despite that, the former became known as a hero in line with the latter.

A: “Sushi has recently become popular internationally, hasn’t it?”
B: “That’s right. In line with anime and cars, it is said to be one of Japan’s three major exports.”

3 Likes

What if cramming gave you a tad bit of XP? I feel like that would encourage people to go above and beyond even what the SRS wants for maximum retention ^^

4 Likes

Kind of a big suggestion here, but I’ve been thinking about this ever since we’ve had the Grammar Mnemonic Thread.

It’s well known that Mnemonics are a great way to help retain information into long-term memory. At least for me, the fact that WaniKani has mnemonics is like, 60% of the reason I’m using them (though they’re often disappointing, but that’s a topic for another day). They’re very helpful to me, but I also suck at making them up*. I also imagine that many users are currently using their “Grammar Note” field to add Mnemonics to certain Grammar points – at least I’ve been doing that. I think it could be a great idea to make it possible to set your grammar note to “public visibility”.

Users could then click “Check Public Notes” next to “Add Note” and scroll through public notes for that grammar point, rate the notes and even mark one of them to display, as if they had set it themselves. This is actually similar to how Memrise works. We could use this system to share important notes about grammar points as well (from “how a grammar point is made up” to “not appropiate in situation XY”).

Of course, this comes with some additional “challenges”:

• How to handle “naughty” content (bad words, unsafe links, violation of intellectual property) --> Make this content “Opt-in”, Allow users to report, don’t allow sharing of links (or only whitelisted websites)…? Only “unlock” this feature to paying users (as they’ve used a Credit Card as a cheap “age check”, this was done by Nintendo for their 3DS models)?
  • How the rating should work --> Perhaps something like reddits “up- and downvote” system could work (Some Inspiration :slight_smile:)
  • How to give users feedback for their shared notes – something like reddit’s Karma-Score, perhaps awarding special badges?

It is my hope that such a system could help people like me to learn even more effectively, by using the combined imagination of hundreds of users; and to give even more information to those who want it.

I understand that some of this could be done using the Community Discussion-links (i.e. the threads on this board). But I find that many of them have no discussion in them, and crucially, all this information requires navigating away from the grammar point. This may sound stupid, but we all know users don’t like work :slight_smile: Having the “Shared-Grammar-Note” right there would make it way more likely for users to interact with this feature, especially if there’s a “score” to get there. Plus, I feel that the intended scope is different – discussions are for questions and, well, discussions. But this is about getting that spark of inspiration that allows one to retain information.

(Finally, I am aware that your own mnemonics tend to be more helpful than someone else’s, but I’m a firm believer that someone else’s are WAY better than no mnemonic (which is the result of me failing to think of something :slightly_smiling_face:) )

4 Likes

The mobile version of the site definitely needs to be improved, I study mostly on my phone.
The first thing you see when you load it up, is no “next step”, there isn’t an immediate button to do lessons, to review, etc. You need to go hunting for it in the hamburger menu.

Just updating the landing page with a call to action buttons “5 reviews”, “do lessons” would streamline it a lot.

Also doing reviews on mobile is not smooth. “tap or press a to see alternative grammar” can be tricky to click correctly. If I get an answer wrong and it says “tap to see answer” I can’t figure out WHERE to tap.

6 Likes

Strongly agree with this one. I used to study only on desktop, but lately I’ve been spending lots of time on trains and have to study on my phone. The UX could really use some polish there, but it’s just a bunch of little things that can make the experience a lot better, as it all technically works as is.

3 Likes

In both cases you can either tap the text, or type “a”. Typing “a” is not an option with Japanese IME though, and the keyboard still has to be on screen too…

2 Likes

Agreed. The mobile site also tends to shift around a lot when the on-screen keyboard comes in, and sometimes I can’t even see the sentences! Not to mention the fact that it’s not a native app makes it a pain to use, and you’ve always got that annoying bar at the top.

2 Likes

I checked this grammar point recently and saw it already got fixed - nice job Bunpro team!

3 Likes

Hi!

Really enjoying bunpro so far, sorry to be complaining in my first post here :slight_smile:
I spotted some accessibility/contrast issues on the website

• Low contrast on Study > Meaning pages:
    With the “Modern” theme, the orange “grammar point nuance” (#ffb74d), is hard to read against the light background (contrast ratio is 1.59). On the darker themes this orange works well, but here another color would be great.

• Low contrast on Study > Examples pages:
    The “slow” and “reload” actions are also low in contrast. With the “Modern” theme the contrast ratio is around 2, that’s not since they are not primary actions. But in the “Modern dark” theme it falls down to 1.18, which can really strain the eye. Same for “Classic” theme.

• Low contrast on Study > Readings pages:
    With the darker themes (Modern Dark and Classic) the blue links to external resources have low contrast, both for default and hover styles.

• Low contrast on Settings page:
    Blue links (eg “Generate API Key”) have a low contrast in darker themes.

• Small line-height overall:
    The line-height seems set to 1 for all themes, making all multi-line sections hard to read. Usually a 1.4 line-height gives decent results.

I think the most annoying one is the first one, because it’s an important content that should be easy to read, and Modern is the default theme. The other ones are more nits :slight_smile:

(happy to contribute directly to the source, but it seems that only the iOS and Android apps are open sourced?)

6 Likes

will there be some kind of a level system for each grammar point. maybe something like wanikani does it.

just to see how well you know each grammar point.

1 Like

When reporting errors I wish enter didn’t submit the report and you had to explicitly click “Submit”. I just accidentally submitted a report halfway through writing it.

3 Likes

Are you familiar with streaks? You can see your progress level for each grammar point (even within grammar search)

https://www.bunpro.jp/help

@jdescottes, I picked ‘classic’ just for best contrast all around (particularly for ios ) and my eyes hurt less :bamboo:

2 Likes

oh I totally missed that lol so 12 streaks would be equivalent to burning a grammar point right?

1 Like

That is correct, and that grammar point will turn from red to gold on your grammar list once burned…er, stamped or whatever :bunprogold:. If you click your avatar menu on the main site, you can also go to profile->stats and see your cumulative level numbers per streak as well. During a review, I think the streak stamps will only pop up if you increase your streak level.

3 Likes

I will really like to see:

• Each grammar point having a reference to the proper book and page on the “A Dictionary of X Japanse Grammar” series.

• Paths for Marugoto and Quartet

6 Likes

Preamble:
Don’t know if this has been posted before… but, since the feature’s not there, I guess it can’t hurt to post.

Originally, I was really impressed by how BunPro has a “+ Report” button on each grammar point (as well as a “Community Discussion” link, though admittedly I haven’t actually tried those much yet).

However, now I’m ‘spoiled’ by those +Report buttons and I find myself wanting them everywhere on the site, wherever I happen to find some sort of issue. :sweat_smile:

Well, I guess asking for Report buttons literally everywhere would probably be a big, long-term thing (though probably doable, I imagine, as a former developer myself). So, leaving that big request to the side for now, I’ll just focus on the one place I felt where a Report button would have been really nice to have:

In fact, having a Report Issue button in this location might solve 95% of my ‘want them everywhere’ wish. And that would be in the Your Feedback section, which is accessible in the user menu on the main site. Here, I can read existing issues and replies, and I can also reply to those issues, but what I really would like is this …

Actual Feature Request:

• Add a “Report Issue” button and form in the “Your Feedback” page (perhaps at the top, where it is easily visible, and thus more likely to be noticed and used by other users).
    • This “Report Issue” feedback form would be a general form (at least initially, I suppose), very much like the form located at https://bunpro.jp/contact, except that it would be directly tied to your user account, not requiring you to input your email address.
    • Once submitted, any such issue and any of its associated replies would appear just as a typical Grammar Point Report does, within the Your Feedback section.

Further comment:
Now, I understand that currently BP uses these forum threads to handle bug reports and feature requests, and the like – and I’m relatively new to how the whole development / feedback cycle goes around here so far – so, perhaps my specific suggestions would be less-than-ideal to implement, but at least the general gist of it is a pretty good suggestion, I think. Maybe instead of having the feedback form contained in the Your Feedback section, it might make more sense at the current time to link the user to these particular forum threads, or something like that. I’m sure the devs and regulars can come up with a more ideal solution for the current situation.

But I will say this, though: It took a while, earlier on when I first wanted to submit a bug report that wasn’t grammar-related, to figure out the best way to go about that. Having a clear path for new users to be able to locate the proper feedback channel(s) is not only helpful for BP folks, but it would also be very helpful for the users themselves. I expect you’d probably get more feedback from more users if there was a more clear ‘This is how you report stuff’ interface than what’s currently available.

And the users will appreciate it, too. It can be intimidating to try to dig through forums to find the correct thread, or to wonder if using the email contact form will not connect your feedback to your actual account without manual review – and who knows if anyone actually reads such ‘public feedback’ emails, anyway? Well, I know now that BP actually has very attentive staff and sure enough my initial reply got through perfectly fine. But I’m a former dev myself, and have submitted all sorts of feedback to all sorts of sites and projects. What about Joe Schmoe who just works a regular job and just wants to learn some Japanese on this cool site? Then, maybe the ‘tech shock’ intimidation factor is a little too much and Joe never bothers to submit his feedback, etc. etc.

“For want of a nail, the kingdom was lost,” as the proverb goes. That’s a bit over-the-top – the actual situation is not nearly so dire! – but you catch my drift, I hope. :wink:

3 Likes

@madmalkav

We should have the A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar page numbers up very soon with the intermediate and advanced books becoming available in the coming weeks.

Paths for Marugoto and Quartet are on the list to add, however, there are some Paths that we would like to get set up first. We hope to have something for you before too long. Cheers!

@wct Thank you for your suggestion and all of the feedback that you have provided through the report buttons. The Contact button currently sends feedback/reports to the “Your Feedback” page, however, these submissions are only visible to us until we resolve them or reply to them, at which time they will become visible to you as well. While we agree that making feedback public would cut down on duplicate reports and get the community more involved answering questions and resolving issues, it might be a while before we can devote some time to making feedback more intuitive. That being said, when we do make future changes we will be sure to implement what you have suggested here. Cheers!

6 Likes