Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I will really like to see:

• Each grammar point having a reference to the proper book and page on the “A Dictionary of X Japanse Grammar” series.

• Paths for Marugoto and Quartet

6 Likes

Preamble:
Don’t know if this has been posted before… but, since the feature’s not there, I guess it can’t hurt to post.

Originally, I was really impressed by how BunPro has a “+ Report” button on each grammar point (as well as a “Community Discussion” link, though admittedly I haven’t actually tried those much yet).

However, now I’m ‘spoiled’ by those +Report buttons and I find myself wanting them everywhere on the site, wherever I happen to find some sort of issue. :sweat_smile:

Well, I guess asking for Report buttons literally everywhere would probably be a big, long-term thing (though probably doable, I imagine, as a former developer myself). So, leaving that big request to the side for now, I’ll just focus on the one place I felt where a Report button would have been really nice to have:

In fact, having a Report Issue button in this location might solve 95% of my ‘want them everywhere’ wish. And that would be in the Your Feedback section, which is accessible in the user menu on the main site. Here, I can read existing issues and replies, and I can also reply to those issues, but what I really would like is this …

Actual Feature Request:

• Add a “Report Issue” button and form in the “Your Feedback” page (perhaps at the top, where it is easily visible, and thus more likely to be noticed and used by other users).
    • This “Report Issue” feedback form would be a general form (at least initially, I suppose), very much like the form located at https://bunpro.jp/contact, except that it would be directly tied to your user account, not requiring you to input your email address.
    • Once submitted, any such issue and any of its associated replies would appear just as a typical Grammar Point Report does, within the Your Feedback section.

Further comment:
Now, I understand that currently BP uses these forum threads to handle bug reports and feature requests, and the like – and I’m relatively new to how the whole development / feedback cycle goes around here so far – so, perhaps my specific suggestions would be less-than-ideal to implement, but at least the general gist of it is a pretty good suggestion, I think. Maybe instead of having the feedback form contained in the Your Feedback section, it might make more sense at the current time to link the user to these particular forum threads, or something like that. I’m sure the devs and regulars can come up with a more ideal solution for the current situation.

But I will say this, though: It took a while, earlier on when I first wanted to submit a bug report that wasn’t grammar-related, to figure out the best way to go about that. Having a clear path for new users to be able to locate the proper feedback channel(s) is not only helpful for BP folks, but it would also be very helpful for the users themselves. I expect you’d probably get more feedback from more users if there was a more clear ‘This is how you report stuff’ interface than what’s currently available.

And the users will appreciate it, too. It can be intimidating to try to dig through forums to find the correct thread, or to wonder if using the email contact form will not connect your feedback to your actual account without manual review – and who knows if anyone actually reads such ‘public feedback’ emails, anyway? Well, I know now that BP actually has very attentive staff and sure enough my initial reply got through perfectly fine. But I’m a former dev myself, and have submitted all sorts of feedback to all sorts of sites and projects. What about Joe Schmoe who just works a regular job and just wants to learn some Japanese on this cool site? Then, maybe the ‘tech shock’ intimidation factor is a little too much and Joe never bothers to submit his feedback, etc. etc.

“For want of a nail, the kingdom was lost,” as the proverb goes. That’s a bit over-the-top – the actual situation is not nearly so dire! – but you catch my drift, I hope. :wink:

3 Likes

@madmalkav

We should have the A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar page numbers up very soon with the intermediate and advanced books becoming available in the coming weeks.

Paths for Marugoto and Quartet are on the list to add, however, there are some Paths that we would like to get set up first. We hope to have something for you before too long. Cheers!

@wct Thank you for your suggestion and all of the feedback that you have provided through the report buttons. The Contact button currently sends feedback/reports to the “Your Feedback” page, however, these submissions are only visible to us until we resolve them or reply to them, at which time they will become visible to you as well. While we agree that making feedback public would cut down on duplicate reports and get the community more involved answering questions and resolving issues, it might be a while before we can devote some time to making feedback more intuitive. That being said, when we do make future changes we will be sure to implement what you have suggested here. Cheers!

6 Likes

I have another feature request or upgrade thing to the feedback page, and that is to either highlight what error report has a new message, or just sort the messages so that if an older error report gets a new reply (or changed status if that also triggers a notification), it gets bumped to the top.

Right now if you left multiple different reports at the same time, and one of them starts a bit of a back and forth, you’ll actually have to go search for the right error report that triggered a notification. Even worse if a much older one suddenly got a new reply or such, because then you might not even be able to find the right report.

Currently I heart all replies from you guys because then I know I’ve read it. Might be better to actually shuffle an error report with a new answer/status to the top, or highlight it some other way.

2 Likes

Is there an ability to skip items in lessons?

Sometimes there are grammar points that seem to require a lot more time and attention than others. And sometimes I just don’t have the time to research that grammar point.

As it is now, if such an item pops up in the lessons, I have to either “rush” that particular grammar point and suffer later (which I guess works to an extent), or manually select which items I want to appear in reviews (which currently seems really tedious and I don’t know where to start).

It would be nice if I could “push back” the troublesome grammar towards the very end so I can look at it later when I have time.

1 Like

would it be possible to automatically hide hints as SRS level increases?

E.g.:
SRS 1: Review English @ User default (“Show” for example)
SRS 4: Review English @ 1 below default (“Hint”)
SRS 7: Review English @ 2 below default (“Hide”)
and so on…

Here is a link to where I initially posted it. It looks like @Johnathan-Weir had the same idea further up this thread. Is this something anyone else would like to use?

3 Likes

Is there maybe a page somewhere with all of the available ways we can format our own study sentences? Like, what syntax do we use for yellow highlight, orange highlight, italics, bold, etc.? How can we get the colored blue text that’s used for speakers? Can we add our own in-the-blank hint? (Speaking of which, the default size of the answer blank is absurdly tiny in self-study reviews :man_shrugging:)

If there is a single page that contains all this information, could it maybe be prominently linked in a button on the self-study sentence creation page, please? :upside_down_face:
Or, maybe all of this info could be provided on the creation page itself :stuck_out_tongue:

(Also, it’d be cool to be able to write our own multi-tiered hints, although I’d consider this a much lower priority than the syntax stuff)

Different request: It’d be great to be able to bookmark grammar during reviews (from the display that shows after pressing ‘F’ for example). As it is now, I have to expand that display, click the link to open the grammar page, then bookmark from there.

6 Likes

Or a badge for 333 streak? Definitely not related to it being my favorite number or having just reached it or anything :wink:

((no but a 365 one would be cool lol))

2 Likes

Not to be overly technical but shouldn’t it be “will” instead of “can.” And if you wanted to use “can” then it should be 「なれない」。

4 Likes

If we have reported an error for a certain grammar question, could you display this submitted report when we view the same question in the future (So we don’t accidentally submit twice)?

8 Likes

@Johnathan-Weir

Fixed :+1:

4 Likes

EXTREMELY minor, but the location of the “Update” button and the “Close” button are unintuitve

Many times I have pressed the “Close” button thinking that it was the save button.

I would suggest moving the “Update” button to a more prominent location, and giving the Close button less prominence (make it an “X”, or reduce it to a text link instead of a button).

i.e: Change it from:

to

11 Likes

Feature request:

I’d like to be able to cram certain chapters from the grammar path I’ve chosen.
For example I’m on Genki II chapter 15. I’d like to be able to cram that specific chapter (or multiple chapters) in addition to the normal SRS. At the moment I can only do it by JPLT level or select the grammar points manually.

6 Likes

Feature Request:

-for not native english speakers: rather than the english hint I want to add notes to grammar points in my language and show them instead. [Minna no Nihongo has a german translation and I need to spot the sentences grammar in geman for my tests]

-the ability to bookmark or mark grammar whilst reviewing.

-Add own grammar points to chapters [bc Minna no Nihongo as example is sometimes lacking some points or not accurate enough]

9 Likes

Could we please get the mouseover kanji functionality here (at least during reviews)?

5 Likes

Hi, thanks for such a great app!

Yes it would be so helpful to be able to flag grammar points during review – sometimes I’d like to come back to some grammar points seen during review (points I failed but also sometimes points I passed)!

Also I’d appreciate it if the tense info was always visible somewhere, instead of being a placeholder that disappears as soon as you type (I forget it almost instantly and find myself constantly deleting what I wrote just to check).

Also on mobile, the “Show Answer: Click here or press ‘a’” button is hard to tap properly, because it’s so tiny. And stuff moves around too much when the keyboard pops up, reading the sentence gets painful… I really hope you’ll make progress on the mobile site and apps, I can study more often on mobile than desktop.

Last thing: it would be helpful on the settings page if the available values for the settings were explained, and not just on hover.
For example, I didn’t understand what the different values of “Review English” meant, or what “Ghost Reviews” are, nor what the difference is between On and Minimal…

9 Likes

Differentiation of [STEM] – there are five (あいうえお) for godan verbs; which one? I found the charts and explanation here, very helpful: https://youtu.be/FhyrskGBKHE

5 Likes

Feature request:

I’m really enjoying using The Dictionary of Japanese Grammar with BunPro. I was wondering if it would be possible to start adding the page numbers for this as well in the resources for lessons (would save some time for me looking them up).

I’ve been adding comments to N5 grammar points in my account with the appropriate page numbers as I learned them recently. That might be a starting point if you are interested (I guess you can access them from my account).

6 Likes

Hi,

Lately I’ve been failing some grammar points in reviews because I had to conjugate verbs I didn’t already know before – without knowing if they were ichidan or godan. The rest of my answer was OK, but I guessed the wrong verb type and conjugated it accordingly.

Would it make sense to have an option in reviews to show a hint on whether the verb in parentheses is ichidan or godan?

5 Likes

@Iwannabelieve Thank you for joining in on the discussion! Adding the ability to change hints/sentences to your native language or having the ability to edit those hints is something that we can look into. However, it might be some time before this becomes available. In the meantime, you could add self-study questions in German that would appear alongside your regular reviews.

@Kai, @Iwannabelieve, @skymaiden The ability to bookmark grammar points during reviews and cram those bookmarked items is something that we hope to implement in the near future. In addition, we would like to overhaul the hint/tense system to make it more intuitive. Stay tuned!

@aexencov We have recently added page numbers for The Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (DBJG). You can find these page numbers listed in the Readings section of each grammar point that appears in DBJG as well as in the grammar search (listed to the right of the grammar tile). We hope to have the page numbers for the intermediate and advanced books available soon. Cheers!

@skymaiden Thank you for your kind words! We will see what we can do about making the settings page more intuitive. We are working on improving the mobile experience. Thank you for your patience. Cheers!

10 Likes