Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Suggestion:

I just had a small moment of panic seeing “Thank you for purchasing a monthly subscription” from ‘admin’ in my email inbox. Obviously not a major problem but maybe “Your BunPro subscription has been renewed” would be less stress inducing!

1 Like

Don’t hate me if I’m wrong about this, haven’t really been properly tracking it, but it seems that once you get an Item wrong, it’ll be downgraded to the previous example sentence?

My problem with that is that, while I know just fine what ので means, I often forget that you have to add a な before it following Nouns and な-Adjectives.
When I get that wrong, I’ll be quized on ので following an いAdj/Verb again, because it moves me back one example sentence.
I my mind, this isnt how it should be because its kinda ineffective.
To me, it would be a great improvement if I got quizzed again on the sentences I got wrong, not the ones I got right.
I’m pretty sure this is true for multiple Items and I honestly couldnt tell you a solution except making the Items start from the first sentence again once you worked your way through all example setences.

Once again, I’m sorry if I missed some feature :b

6 Likes

Simple request: Can we set audio to autoplay in our settings? It proably sounds absurd to say that I don’t want to spend the extra millisecond pressing P, but I… don’t!

1 Like

Thank you for pointing this out. Sorry for stressing you out!

@xBl4ck We have a big update to the way reviews work coming up. We will be making the sentences randomized, adding some initial quizzes where you will be checked on just the grammar and how it combines with other parts of the sentence (such as the need for な between ので and a な adjective) and tweaking a few other things.

@aerisdead We will get it added for you shortly.

1 Like

Feature request: can you use the WK API to show additional information for a kanji/vocabulary on hover or click? As mentioned in other threads, you often use advanced vocabulary in N5 or N4 which forces users to interrupt reviews and looking up the word first.
Or if users just forget the meaning of already known kanji/words it would be helpful to show a box on mouseover or click with information about:
Kanji: meaning, radical composition, WK level
Vocab: meaning, kanji composition, WK level

There are different ways to implement this and many other grammar sites have those info boxes for kanji. If you don’t want to use the WK API for that you could also just use js files with the whole jmdict content. I’m using that for some Anki decks and it works smoothly and fast.

That is something that we can look into adding.

Just to be clear, we do not use more advanced vocabulary for a particular JLPT level. We may use kanji for that particular vocabulary word that is more advanced, but all vocabulary that appears under a JLPT level on Bunpro is taken from vocabulary associated with that particular JLPT level.

EDIT: That being said, while we tried our best to be careful with what we added, we may have inadvertently added vocabulary that is inappropriate for a particular JLPT level. If you find any such cases, please do not hesitate to let us know so that we can update Bunpro and make it more comprehensive for everyone.

Cheers

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know that. Nice coincidence :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can now have audio auto-play in reviews, study, and cram. Just change the setting for Autoplay Audio in your settings to “On”. If you get a sentence wrong, it will not auto-play until you click or press ‘a’ to show the answer.

5 Likes

Not sure if this has been requested (or a feature) yet, but a way to quickly and easily see which grammar points are our most problematic (aka leaches) would be great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some things I miss from WaniKani:

• If a pass/fail a review, know what level that grammar point is updated to. I miss the familiar apprentice/guru/master levels. Right now there’s a streak, but it doesn’t show when completing a review, and a word is more human than a number.
  • The general levels that WaniKani has. Right now bunpro lets you choose what to do next and in which order, and the only “levels” are N5, N4, etc, but they are too big. It would be nice if Bunpro had a mode where it will decide what things to teach you, and in which order, and categorize that in internal levels (other than Nx levels). It’s more work for the Bunpro team, but it’s less work for the users (less options is usually less). In Wanikani maybe some users complain that they can’t choose what to study, but if you are patient enough you’ll learn all their kanjis, in a maybe optimal order. Bunpro could do this too and the site and the experience will be so much simpler.

Another small detail that might be a super useful improvement: when I want to do reviews on my phone, the phone keyboard always starts with a capital letter. I have to double hit “shift” (one will make it default to all capitals, two will make it default to lowercase) to write the reply in lowercase. It seems there’s an HTML5 attribute named “autocapitalize” that’s at least supported by Chrome and Safari. You can set it to “none” so that it won’t autocapitalize by default, which will make doing reviews much smoother.

2 Likes

There are already ten sections in each Nx level. How much more can you break it down? Have you tried the Study section? I’m pretty sure that’s meant for people who want a little more structure than Lessons provides.

1 Like

There are already ten sections in each Nx level

That’s true. What I mean is, you can do things in any order you want. “- What level are you in bunpro”, “Well, I did these items from N5, from the sections 1 to 5, etc.”, vs. saying “I’m level 23 in WaniKani”. And doing a few reviews in WaniKani and passing from level 23 to level 24 gives you more sense of progression than just randomly (or sequentially) doing grammar points and seeing them turn light grey. That’s what I mean.

JLPT level indicator in reviews. I added this myself with a script and found it very useful.

2 Likes

Isn’t that kind of like getting a hint though?

1 Like

Maybe it would be. I did all the items at once though, so I don’t really associate a grammar point with any specific level. The only help I’ve gotten from it is sometimes knowing when they’re looking for the harder grammar point when there are many ways to say something.

I’ve been going slowly, so for me it would definitely be a hint.

1 Like

Yea, it seems like too much of a hint for me too. I wouldn’t want it.

3 Likes

For the grammar に気が付く, for the early reviews you give こと to us, but later require us to include it in the answer. In the past you said it was to ease people into reviews, by starting it off easier. But I’d rather fail right away when the intervals are short. As it is, I have to wait a while to get reviews again that require remembering to add こと after verbs, which I think is not ideal.

1 Like

I agree, but I also think it could be potentially beneficial to include partial answers for the grammar in /some/ sentences, to enforce reading and not just blind memorization of the grammar without thinking more about how it works in context.

Many N4 and N3 sentences use vocabulary from a higher JLPT level (or words from no JLPT level at all). So which of those shall be reported: only words with a direct connection to the answer or all words of the sentence which are from a higher JLPT level?

1 Like