Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I don’t think WaniKani’s API gives definitions, so it would be more work. And it’s not that hard to copy and paste a word or kanji into a dictionary, even from a phone.

1 Like

Hi! Pretty new to Bunpro. Been using the app and loving it, definitely going to subscribe once my trial is up.

1 - This was mentioned earlier in the thread, but some guidance on when to add new grammar would be cool. Maybe even if it’s just a notification like “your correct answer rate is high, try adding more lessons!” if you don’t want to do a hard cutoff like WaniKani.

2 - This might just be a personal issue, but I feel like the questions that ask for a specific i-adjective or na-adjective seem a little out of place. I’ve been using other sources to learn vocab, and prefer to learn vocab words along with the kanji for the most part. Having to learn hiragana for words in a grammar app is a little frustrating.

どうも!

2 Likes

The translations for the example sentences for grammar point 16 “の(は)” the verb normalizer are really confusing as to what it is doing. I think you should revise that grammar point so the example sentences make more sense. Also, I think you should define what a verb normalizer is (i.e. verbs to nouns).

I found this site’s explaination/example sentences for の to be a lot easier to understand:
Nominalizers: こと and の

Question: On review page. What is that Finalize link doing if I hit it? I’ve never tried to hit it because I’m afraid if I hit it I’ll miss all my long reviews that I should exercise.

Oops! FYI I wrote this draft on Notes on my Mac, and I wasn’t patient to try what that finalize, and I hit it, and what I was afraid of became reality. :sob::sob::sweat_smile: My total reviews were from 36, I had done for about 9 or 10 so that the rest was still around 20 or 25, then it’s now 2 reviews only to correct two reviews that I answered wrong. And then there are 18 reviews available that I have now. I missed those 25 reviews at least for now. D’oh. :pensive:

I don’t draft directly on forum so I can review my English sentences. When I’m sure I don’t miss anything then I put it on forums.

Feedback: Please make that “Finalize” clear by providing a description on a hover link, or write it as “Skip” instead to skip all the rest of reviews for now. Of course you can correct my English if I’m wrong since I’m not a native English speaker. So that I know if I hit “Finalize” the reviews that I should do will disappear. Or if I hit “Finalize” the reviews will still be there but I’m done now so that I can continue reviewing later.

Don’t worry, the finalize button doesn’t change anything for your reviews. It’s a feature you might use when you’re in a hurry and don’t want to finish all remaining reviews in the queue. So when pressing the finalize button you will be only quizzed on your wrong answered questions in the current queue and then return to the summary screen. Then you are free to do all the remaining reviews, cause they aren’t really skipped, just click on “reviews” and there they are again.
About the idea behind finalizing: yes, you could also just close the browser during reviews but then you would be quizzed on the wrong answered questions again the next time. It’s similar to KaniWani’s “wrap” button to avoid being asked the wrong answered question again in the next reviews session. But I agree, “finalize” does not really make clear what will happen when you press it.

1 Like

On grammar point 30 (この) you should include the structure: “この+Noun” so people know why it’s different from これ.

3 Likes

On some grammar points with the same or similar meanings, when entering the not-exactly-wrong answer, the hint outright tells you what grammar point is needed.

I feel like this is unhelpful, as it means I get the answer “right” without having to actually recall the grammar point. Is there a reason the system does it this way?

3 Likes

I think those are old hints. If you report the specific instances to Bunpro with the report button or here, they will probably fix those hints.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to implement an auto lessons feature like what wanikani has?
In wanikani, after a certain amount of lessons get gurued the next batch of lessons become available and you have to then guru that. This turns a basic SRS review app into more of a fast-paced game because if I don’t do the lessons they’ll start piling up, and if I don’t do the reviews, the length of the level I’m on will take longer to complete than my average and I can’t have that. haha. Even if I don’t have the patience to do new lessons (which I haven’t had for the past few months), I do them anyway cuz then new lessons will pile up and it will get out of control. (Even though it sounds bad that ‘im forcing myself’ I don’t mind because it’s like a game to me)
In BunPro, I have to choose to do new lessons. This makes it that I have a month where I do 150 lessons, then a 4 month break, then another month filled with lessons everyday. This is really annoying cuz I could be growing my knowledge of Japanese by a much greater extent of I would do new lessons more often.

What I’m trying to say is: getting lessons to come up automatically based on where I’m up to (like in wanikani) is a great motivator (the only reason why I’m still doing wanikani!) and I would love to see it in BunPro.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on ways we can improve the site.

@Ephora we hope to have that up for you to use today!

@pcontrabass Thank you for the suggestion. That is something we had given some thought to and are considering adding. Just need to find a good way/place to do it.

@seanblue & @Invertex Thank you for the discussion on kanji and Bunpro. Unfortunately it is a situation that doesn’t have a good answer. We tried to use only kanji/vocab that was representative of the JLPT level of the grammar point but not everyone will know all of the words. We will give it some thought and discuss options with the app developer. Maybe there is a solution to make it easier to look up words when on mobile.

@RobbyV and @nitzi Have an option to regulate/force you to progress at a certain pace is something we have considered in the past. But we aren’t necessarily sure how to implement it and have it have the same feeling of urgency that WaniKani gives you. Thank you for the suggestions. They will help us as we continue brainstorming options!

@nanda Like @Anthropos888 said, the finalize button (recently changed to “wrap-up”) will do just that, wrap up your current review session letting you review only the questions you missed so that when you do a review session later, you don’t have to review those missed questions again. We also added a hover tooltip to hopefully make it clear for people using it for the first time.

3 Likes

Maybe you can unlock one level (10th of a N# level) at a time? Or if that’s too many lessons, maybe half of that.
idk how I would implement the urgency thing though. But that is really important.

Many people will not want to do lessons this way though. If they do implement this, hopefully it will be optional.

1 Like

It would be optional! Although if it was easy to turn on/off it might defeat the purpose, so I think we would make the process of turning it off once turned on, more difficult than just a change in your settings.

The display of the accuracy percentage and the number of right/wrong answers during reviews is great! Can you implement a small progress bar as in WK as well? That is more eye-catching and easier to understand than “Reviews: 12” for example.

1 Like

We can sure try! I will add it to our laundry list of improvements we are working on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Amazing !
Thanks a lot :smiley:

1 Like

Think you could add a feature to tell us when grammar points we’ve already studied have been modified? So when nuances or new sentences have been added we know which ones to go back and study.

1 Like

I suggest a slight change to the menu so that Community isn’t so close to Log out.

Instead of this:

Try this:

This is the HTML I used:

<ul class="dropdown-menu">
  <li><a href="/users/sean-7ad28158-1aed-4175-8095-3dde6f29b347">Profile</a></li>
  <li><a href="/users/edit.sean-7ad28158-1aed-4175-8095-3dde6f29b347">Settings</a></li>
  <li><a href="/user/account/subscription">Subscription</a></li>
  <li><a href="/summary">Summary</a></li>
  <li class="divider"></li>
  <li><a href="https://community.bunpro.jp">Community</a></li>
  <li class="divider"></li>
  <li><a rel="nofollow" data-method="delete" href="/logout">Log out</a></li>
</ul>

And I changed the margin styling for the divider class to margin: 3px 0;.

4 Likes

I often copy a sentence and paste it into jisho.org to get an analysis of each word of the sentence. This is very useful and jisho also shows the WK level in which I’ll learn that word.

But since it is not possible to copy your sentences without furigana it’s quite a struggle (on phones) to paste it into jisho cause I have to delete all the kana from the furigana. So I’d have a feature request:

1. Could you implement a button to automatically open the sentence in jisho? The link would just be: https://jisho.org/search/{{Sentence}}

Or 2) if you don’t want to link to jisho, can you just implement a button to copy the sentence to clipboard -without- furigana?

Or 3) if you don’t want to add another button at all, could you add a Jacascript to your page thats automatically splits the furigana from the kanji when the user copies the sentence to the clipboard? There are several scripts available to realise that, for example https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13438391/preventing-text-in-rt-tags-furigana-from-being-selected

10 Likes

Hey, I am really struggling with verbs (thought I am starting to get a hand on this), usually I know which form I should use, but am not able to conjugate the verb correctly.

A feature only to work on conjugation would be nice (like cram but only with verbs), cause a couple lessons are not enough to do it automatically if you are a complete beginner in japanese. Or maybe it’s just me that has a block, or isn’t patient enough. But I find that it kinda slows down the learning pace, I dunno for others but I’d be quicker if I wasn’t screwing up the conjugation each time :slight_smile:

(I was planning on making a deck of commonly used verbs on Anki anyway + I’m currently working on it, especially those damn U-verbs, but in case anyone else relates to this I am posting this)

8 Likes