Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Please include more audio! The auido files helped tremendously and if you can get that up and running for the rest of the lessons, I’ll be a member for life.

Also, the furigana Wanikani feature isn’t working for me. I am at level 23 on Wanikani, but every single kanji still has furigana above it. I’ve selected wanikani from the furigana settings and hit save multiple times. I have also re-entered and re-created a new Wanikani API key a few times as well. Can’t get it to work, please help. I’ve tried it on a Windows 10 laptop and a Galaxy S8+, both with chrome browsers. Hope those details help.

-Nate

5 Likes

Can we have a grammar point for というか?

1 Like

Is there a way to reset or delete all Self-Study SRSs?

Also I came back after using vacation mode for a while and I have 84 reviews that are all my Self-Study sentences. I don’t think they were affected at all by the vacation mode.

1 Like

Verbs and nouns are countable so this should be ‘number’
Sorry :sob:

Thanks for the new content!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Please add a setting to limit the number of Ghost reviews for the SAME grammar point to 1 per day (or per review session).

I have review sessions where I get the same grammar point up to 4 times which is just super boring, annoying and counterproductive!

When the limit is activated, the Ghost review with the lowest SRS should be shown first. The next day / review session the Ghost with the second lowest SRS will be shown and so on.

Normal reviews for the same grammar point will be paused until all ghosts reviews are completed.

7 Likes

@evadethebook

More audio is on the way!

Hmmm. We are unable to reproduce this on our end. We have had some users log out and then back in to get it to work. If that still does not fix the issue, please let us know. Cheers!

@lopicake We do not currently have a way to reset/delete all Self-Study reviews/SRSs. That is something that we can look into adding in the future. As far as Self-Study reviews not freezing during vacation mode, that is something that we need to fix. Cheers!

@matt_in_mito

Thank you for drawing this to our attention so that we could get it fixed. Did you notice that we also forgot a “used” after “ながらに・ながらの is…?” Oops.

@Anthropos888 Thank you for your suggestion on how to improve Ghost Review SRS. This is definitely something that we need to tweak in the future. Cheers!

7 Likes

this is probably elsewhere but ~~~ my suggestion is to break out each conjugation of each form into its own SRS item. this is a massive overhaul but it would be great

also change leveling to be like wanikani where leveling is based on progress not XP

1 Like

I have a UX suggestion for reviews.

When there’s placeholder text in the answer field, it goes away when you type. I often have to cut and paste my answer to see if what I typed is what the placeholder text is asking for.

hDe2kLNmwV

What I would suggest is to raise the placeholder text above the text field when entering in an answer, somewhat similar to what Google does its login field.

16 Likes

Hi there,
I wondered if it might be possible to include user defined groups of items for cram study. At the moment, cram sessions are slow to set up, but if an already-defined group of items could instead be selected for cram, that would make the feature a lot more usable.
Cheers for all your awesome work!

4 Likes

Feels like this should have a tip instead of being wrong.

1 Like

I think you would need to use にかんして in that case.

3 Likes

I find these pretty frustrating to learn and I’m still pretty awful in understanding so I find these posts helpful to discuss. I’m not convinced the keyword ‘regarding’ makes these grammar points interchangeable…however I couldn’t find much info comparing these two points.

に関して, I’m seeing a passive matter of fact relationship being stated in contrast to に対して (no pun intended) seems to be always opinion based which is probably why it learns toward ‘in constrast, whereas’…From this example sentence, the nuance of certainty could go either way but there just isn’t enough context from what I’m seeing (could be someone’s observation or a non-negotiable relationship). This is how I’m seeing it, could be wrong though.

2 Likes

Someone at /r/LearnJapanese had some confusion over when it’s approrpriate/acceptable to drop particles with the ある・いる verbs: https://imgur.com/a/UgZE9wC (←album w/ 3 images)

I think that either these review sentences should be updated to behave identically, or, if there is an inconsistency for some reason, it should be explicitly mentioned in the notes on their respective grammar pages.

It seems you can already have a batch size of 2 (maybe they added that recently?) but I’ve been using a batch size of 1 for a long time now. My thought is: I will learn at most 1 new thing per day. It might take me 2 years or more to learn everything, but I have no rush at all. And in 2 years I’ll be glad I did it.

Anyway, for example on Chrome, choose a batch size of 2, then right-click on the batch-size number and select “Inspect”. That will open a small subsection at the bottom with a lot of code. Right below what’s selected you’ll see:

<option value="2">2</option>

Go ahead and double click those “2” and change them to “1”. Then click “Save” on the page. When the page reloads you’ll see it still says “2” but in reality in their DB it’s stored as “1” and you’ll get just one new grammar point per session.

(BunPro devs reading this: please don’t “fix” this! Or otherwise allow us to select “1”).

4 Likes

I think it would be a lot easier and more accurate for each conjugation to be its own card. For example, instead of having one card that’s “る verbs” with eight separate conjugations, present and test each one of those. Similar to how every particle gets its own card instead of having one card that’s “particles”

1 Like

Maybe this has already been mentioned but streak badges do not seem to activate when changing timezone to reset one’s streak.

I changed my timezone from Central Time (US) to Pacific Time (US) and my streak went from 60ish to around 130. However, I did not receive the 100 day streak badge (even after doing more reviews the next day and further updating my streak).

1 Like

I think I’ve requested this before, but could we get the ability to add highlights to custom reviews?

Also, in the meantime, what’s the syntax to add highlights manually? I remembered that <strong> </strong> can be used to add yellow highlights to the Japanese, but I was hoping to be able to also add the teal and orange colors, too.

@Jaaake Thank you for your suggestion! We are actually working on something very similar to this that we hope to make available in the near future. Stay tuned. Cheers!

@jonstrutz11 I apologize for the inconvenience. I have manually updated your badges. We will look into what might be preventing badges from being automatically updated when you change your timezone. Cheers!

@Kai Currently we do not have syntax working for the English sentences in Self-Study. However, you can use <span class='name-highlight'>teal text</span> and <span class='chui'>orange text</span> in addition to <strong>yellow text</strong> to adding highlighting in the Japanese sentence. We will look into adding more highlighting option to Self-Study in the future, however, it is not currently a priority. Cheers!

Edit: corrected error in syntax

2 Likes

Thanks!

Just a quick correction though, the orange syntax is <span class='chui'>orange text</span> (it was missing a '). Out of curiosity, what’s “chui” short for? “Chui” is 注意, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks! However, for some reason, I still don’t see the 100 day streak under the achievements header…

1 Like