Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Hi there,
I wondered if it might be possible to include user defined groups of items for cram study. At the moment, cram sessions are slow to set up, but if an already-defined group of items could instead be selected for cram, that would make the feature a lot more usable.
Cheers for all your awesome work!

4 Likes

Feels like this should have a tip instead of being wrong.

1 Like

I think you would need to use にかんして in that case.

3 Likes

I find these pretty frustrating to learn and I’m still pretty awful in understanding so I find these posts helpful to discuss. I’m not convinced the keyword ‘regarding’ makes these grammar points interchangeable…however I couldn’t find much info comparing these two points.

に関して, I’m seeing a passive matter of fact relationship being stated in contrast to に対して (no pun intended) seems to be always opinion based which is probably why it learns toward ‘in constrast, whereas’…From this example sentence, the nuance of certainty could go either way but there just isn’t enough context from what I’m seeing (could be someone’s observation or a non-negotiable relationship). This is how I’m seeing it, could be wrong though.

2 Likes

Someone at /r/LearnJapanese had some confusion over when it’s approrpriate/acceptable to drop particles with the ある・いる verbs: https://imgur.com/a/UgZE9wC (←album w/ 3 images)

I think that either these review sentences should be updated to behave identically, or, if there is an inconsistency for some reason, it should be explicitly mentioned in the notes on their respective grammar pages.

It seems you can already have a batch size of 2 (maybe they added that recently?) but I’ve been using a batch size of 1 for a long time now. My thought is: I will learn at most 1 new thing per day. It might take me 2 years or more to learn everything, but I have no rush at all. And in 2 years I’ll be glad I did it.

Anyway, for example on Chrome, choose a batch size of 2, then right-click on the batch-size number and select “Inspect”. That will open a small subsection at the bottom with a lot of code. Right below what’s selected you’ll see:

<option value="2">2</option>

Go ahead and double click those “2” and change them to “1”. Then click “Save” on the page. When the page reloads you’ll see it still says “2” but in reality in their DB it’s stored as “1” and you’ll get just one new grammar point per session.

(BunPro devs reading this: please don’t “fix” this! Or otherwise allow us to select “1”).

4 Likes

I think it would be a lot easier and more accurate for each conjugation to be its own card. For example, instead of having one card that’s “る verbs” with eight separate conjugations, present and test each one of those. Similar to how every particle gets its own card instead of having one card that’s “particles”

1 Like

Maybe this has already been mentioned but streak badges do not seem to activate when changing timezone to reset one’s streak.

I changed my timezone from Central Time (US) to Pacific Time (US) and my streak went from 60ish to around 130. However, I did not receive the 100 day streak badge (even after doing more reviews the next day and further updating my streak).

1 Like

I think I’ve requested this before, but could we get the ability to add highlights to custom reviews?

Also, in the meantime, what’s the syntax to add highlights manually? I remembered that <strong> </strong> can be used to add yellow highlights to the Japanese, but I was hoping to be able to also add the teal and orange colors, too.

@Jaaake Thank you for your suggestion! We are actually working on something very similar to this that we hope to make available in the near future. Stay tuned. Cheers!

@jonstrutz11 I apologize for the inconvenience. I have manually updated your badges. We will look into what might be preventing badges from being automatically updated when you change your timezone. Cheers!

@Kai Currently we do not have syntax working for the English sentences in Self-Study. However, you can use <span class='name-highlight'>teal text</span> and <span class='chui'>orange text</span> in addition to <strong>yellow text</strong> to adding highlighting in the Japanese sentence. We will look into adding more highlighting option to Self-Study in the future, however, it is not currently a priority. Cheers!

Edit: corrected error in syntax

2 Likes

Thanks!

Just a quick correction though, the orange syntax is <span class='chui'>orange text</span> (it was missing a '). Out of curiosity, what’s “chui” short for? “Chui” is 注意, isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks! However, for some reason, I still don’t see the 100 day streak under the achievements header…

1 Like

@Kai

You got it! Thank you for pointing out the typo in the syntax. Cheers!

@jonstrutz11 Sorry about that! It looks like the command didn’t go through properly the first time. You should now have the 100 streak badge. If you are still unable to see it or you have yet to receive the notification for it, would you mind logging out and back in again? Cheers!

Sorry if my ideas have already been presented, there is just so many posts on this page.

This makes me think, maybe a list of all the todo items people can look at so they know what is planned.

Here are some of my ideas that I would find useful.

1. It would be nice to have a slow audio playback feature on the page when answering questions. At least until all N5/N4 audio is updated. Currently, because of the speed and audio flow, it is very hard to understand for me.

2. It would be nice if I could make my own lesson plan or we could have community lesson plans. I have a textbook I used in college called Nakama. It would be nice if I could create my own lesson plan based on the lessons in that textbook. Maybe an option to create community lesson plans based on users own textbooks. Then we could use the forms to review them to reduce the workload on the admins. I assume it would be something where each lesson could have a unique id that could be used to organize the lessons based on how you want them structured.

3. Another nice feature would be the ability to add hints on custom sentences like the pre-generated sentences have. For instance, sometimes a sentence may say, this focuses on … to help you choose your answer.

4. Additionally, another nice feature would be the ability to add “almost” correct answers to custom sentences. For instance, many times, in the pre-generated sentences, if I forget だ after a noun, it will say, aren’t you forgetting something. Or it may say, think ば on a sentence were I used たら for an “if” sentence.

5. Last, for Furigana, it would be nice if I hide/show furigana by clicking on a word, it remembered the state. This may be something that would have to be enabled by an option as not to confuse everyone. But this would be helpful for words sometimes I get that I know outside of WaniKani, or wanting to show words where I know the Kanji from WaniKani, but didn’t learn that vocab’s reading.

3 Likes

I have am having an issue with the completion of the last batch of N1 grammar rules, the keystone to my arch of learning. The lesson is perpetually loading. Advice?

Sorry if this has already been suggested (such a long thread!), but I’d love it if bunpro could be smarter about why I failed a grammar question and adjust my reviews accordingly. For example, many times I’ll get the actual grammar point correct only to mess up on conjugating the verb. In those cases, it would be great if bunpro would notice this and schedule some verb conjugation review

1 Like

I’d like to make a request that やはり・やっぱり be added. It’s such a common albeit slightly difficult to grasp word. I went ahead and made a thread on this about a certain point in particular that has to do with this word: やはり・やっぱり - A translation pet peeve

4 Likes

I feel like there should be a hint here.

ばかりに uses the past form of the verb :wink:

1 Like

You can make suggestions for new grammar here:

I’m actually really shocked none of us have mentioned that one yet xD It’s everywhere, haha.

1 Like