Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Anki has a ‘bury sibling cards until next day’ option
Which when checked, will never queue more than 1 sentence from each grammar point.
It might be a good way to cut down a scary review stack, like limited ghosts
I think Anki picks which ever sentence was typed first.

Hello,
Have you had a chance to implement this change? I just checked the android app, and it does not reveal the furigana for the vocab word when you click show answer. I have copy and pasted the original request below.

"On the website, while using the Reading question type and Reveal & Grade style answering, when you click the Show Answer button, it will display the Furigana for the vocab/highlighted word. However, the app does not. Instead requiring you to tap on the word to get the Furigana. "

@wct

Are you two getting the confetti animation for Mastering items?
I added this in a while ago, and it should be working.

It doesn’t work on Brave for me in regular mode, but it does in incognito, so I think that’s because of some weird plugin/security behaviour.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t know, haven’t mastered any items this year.

Is there a way of editing multiple vocab items at once? If I want to mark something as mastered already the current flow is this:

It would be nice to have an option at the top that enabled a checkbox for each item so I could mark multiple and then confirm them all as mastered!

1 Like

For vocab specifically, I think it would be nice to have a grade for how well can you read this and another grade how well can you remember this.

For example:

A. Doing fill-in exercises should indicate how well I know that the word KIND is YASASHII.

B. Doing Translate exercises should indicate how well I can READ the 優しい.

In my head I know a lot more vocab (優しい, 素敵,簡単, etc) but I probably know more vocab than I can read them.

So developing both the reading and the remembering should count for mastering the vocab.

4 Likes

I use brave and it works. I have disabled the “Shields” because I thought they were causing some log-in problems.

regarding ghosts.
I have been trying to turn them full on, I think I like it better as I am always afraid of levelling up faster than my actual retention is.

However since they add up quite a bit when the setting is turned on it brought me to think I’d like to have a ghost hunting review session feature so I can enjoy slaying a few of them from time to time rather than wait for them to come at me.

I like the idea to be focused on my weakest points for a tough session but maybe that doesn’t make sense practically regarding learning efficiency, you bunpro devs have thought of these things more than me.

Yep!

1 Like

Are you wanting to do ghost reviews before they’re even scheduled for reviews? Or instead just trying to focus on ghosts for a particular session?

If it’s the latter, the feature already exists inside Bunpro. Just hit the lil’ cogwheel during reviews, go to the Queue Order tab and then play with the Sort by Review Category toggle. Should look something like this:

If you’re talking about the former however, I don’t think that’ll ever really become a thing pretty much for the reason you listed at the end. Orrrrr if I’ve gotten this all wrong please tell me! :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Integrating a daily practice heat map would be a nice, e.g. showing each day you’ve missed as red.
I’d also love to have all the stats from the yearly recap available throughout the year, such as hours spent and days accomplished. It would provide a continuous overview of progress and help maintain motivation

edit: in the app. just found it there is a similar feature in the browser, but there it also could get some expansions like showing how many days out of the year you’ve learned (e.g. 160/365).

I was more thinking of an extra ghost-exclusive session (not affecting the regular review round) but thanks for the queue order tip I was not aware of it, it can be interesting as well!

I’d really like to see the following vocab integration improvements:

• During reviews, clicking on a vocab item should:
    • Give a translation
    • Give a button to add to Vocab SRS immediately.
    • Give a button to navigate to that vocab’s info page.

Currently, users have to use an external program (such as Rikai) or dictionary to get a translation, then make a duplicate tab, search the vocab item and add it to the SRS from there. It’s cumbersome and stands in the way of learning.

EDIT:

• For vocab reviews in general, I’d like to be able to translate both Japanese → English and English → Japanese.

There’s a bunch of words I can recognise the kanji for, but can’t actually speak out loud. Having English → Japanese translations would work this out.
The same thing is also true for Grammar reviews, but that’s probably much harder to implement.

EDIT 2: Sorry to edit again, but I think this is better than spamming a new post each time I have a new idea.

If integrating a English → Japanese system is too much trouble, then how about introducing a “kana only” mode for vocab. This option will replace kanji in vocab with the appropriate hiragana. Ideally, you should be able to set the rate that this happens to 100%, 50% or 0%.
Bunpro is so convenient for having all study items in one place, having simple options like these would really make doing vocab SRS in Bunpro more worthwhile.

1 Like

My suggestion is to make a skip day option that will save reviews for the next day. Sometimes if I take a day off, I get swamped with a ton of more reviews. It helps me stay motivated, but at times it would be nice if there was an algorithm to skip a day and not effect the review count.

1 Like

one more question regarding ghosts.
Do the ghost amount affect the overall amount of reviews I get?

I have turned ghosts on a few days back, I have quite a lot added up since (from 20 to 50 ghosts I think) but it seems my overall review amount has not gone up so I feel I am doing more ghost reviews proportionaly.
Has the regular SRS been adjusted at all so I don’t get overwhelmed by reviews?

Maybe it is just an impression I get because I also have turned the ghosts first in the queue order as you suggested, so they feel more present as well

I totally agree. I have suggested something similar before.
Bunpro is just a part of my learning material and I wish I could use it only every 2 days, there is no way do adjust my schedule without being punished by the review system currently.

This has probably been mentioned a bit, so apologies as I haven’t read through all the posts.

I have two decks in my Learn queue. When I finish Learning the daily reviews for the first deck, I get two options. Those roughly are (not verbatim):

• Continue with [more learning on the current deck]
  • Exit to Summary

I just want to do all my daily Learnings. So, at a minimum, I’d like the first option to take me to my next deck instead of continuing with the current deck. Instead, I have to exit and then click Learn to go to the second deck.

8 Likes

Nope it doesn’t impact that! Are you doing all of your ghost reviews and then running through your normal reviews after?

The number might not be going up that much because your normal reviews you get correct are increasing in SRS length so it won’t show up potentially for 1-2 weeks. So like you said, because you’re probably doing more ghost reviews than normal right now, overall number shouldn’t be adjusting much.

If you have any more questions or inquiries feel free to ask either publicly or shoot me a private message here! :surfing_man:

yes I am starting with all my ghosts first now.
Now that you confirm I think I may also have gotten this impression because I have not been adding a lot of new lessons in my reviews.
thanks!

1 Like

Would be cool if you could start cram with only items marked ‘hard’ and ‘okay’ in the previous session, giving a bit more purpose to the distinction between ‘okay’ and ‘good’

1 Like