I came to say exactly the same.

4 Likes

@madmalkav @skullclutter
Great idea :+1:

2 Likes

I think it might also make sense to add/revise for the following:

1. なにか [へ/を] - 冬休みはどこか [へ] 行きましたか。
  2. どこか [へ/を] - のどが渇きましたから、何か [を] 飲みたいです。
  3. ご~ - At the beginning of a word expressing respect. ご注文は?
  4. すみませんが
  5. が - Used to describe something happening that one can experience with ones fives senses or talking about a topic objectively. I think が needs to be refined more, as it has many different uses and at least the most common ones are still not explained properly I think. Especially considering, that I am taking this point from MnN 1 (app. N5)
    a. あめがふっています
    b. ミら-さんがいませんね
  6. N1 に N2 を V - marking a place at which the outcome of the Verb is at.
    a. ここに車を止めてください
    b. ここに住所を書いてください
  7. I couldn’t find a grammar explanation to on how to connect two or more sentences with:
    a. ~て (で)
    b. い-Adj. -> ~くて
    c. な-Adj. -> ~で
    d. N で
  8. Didn’t see the following usage of が, that N1 has the property of “N2 が Adj.” - N1 は N2 が Adj
    a. 大阪は食べ物がおい氏です。
  9. Asking for the way or method - どうやって
2 Likes

@skullclutter and @madmalkav We are working on making this a reality. Stay tuned! Cheers!

2 Likes

Please add
N5: expressing the time something happens with に (add to the に section?)

For example:
私は毎朝六時半に起きます。

1 Like

Hey :slight_smile:
It is on the list with other uses of に、は and を :+1:

By the way, nice avatar.
Did you drew it?

1 Like

There are three checkboxes but I can only see two resources for this item.

2 Likes

@Ambo100 Nice find! Fixed.

So it seems you missed the negative form for い-Adjectives --> くない also in its various forms of polite and impolite. I’m also missing the past for of it ~かった. Apparently you only added the negative form for な-Adjectives. Tho the first one sure is also very important for N5.

I have added those to to-do list :smiley:

I just edited, since I made a mistake, not only negative くない but also past form かった as well as it’s polite and impolite versions.

1 Like

Regarding ‘のように・のような’, the structure says:

のように modifies the VERB that follows
のような modifies the NOUN that follow

But it seems to be true that ‘のように’ can also modify the adjective that follows as well as nouns. 日本語基本文法辞典 says this is possible and the grammar point for Maggie Sensei gives the example:

彼女は氷のように冷たい
She is cold like ice.

2 Likes

This is absolutely true, since it is an adverb :+1:

Is it still possible to access the old grammar site? I didn’t expect that I would ever say this but the new one is even worse. It’s great to have the possibility to search by URL but if I just can’t find the grammar I’m looking for then it’s useless. For example, I want to see how many ways there are to say “if/when” in Japanese, so I type in “if”. The results are ALL in English and do not show any definition, so I find dozens of grammar points just named “if”.
I would need to open every single grammar point one by one to see the Japanese form. I think I’m faster when I just scroll through all grammar/lessons.

Please add at least the japanese translation to the search results or provide a link where users can continue to use the old search.

Second this. There’s plenty of room to have both the Japanese and English side by side :slight_smile:

Ghost reviews: I often get ghost and normal reviews for the same grammar point in the same review session. Sometimes even just one after the other. That destroys the SRS completely because I don’t need to think or recall at all.

Please suspend a ghost review from a review session, when the normal review for the same grammar is scheduled for that session.

As in Anki: when starting a review session, Anki will reschedule all “reverse cards” (cards using the same note) for the next day so that you don’t see the same note twice in one review session.

@conan We have plans to stick both the English and Japanese on the tile when searching. Sorry we haven’t gotten to it yet. That will come with further updates, making it possible to get all grammar for a certain textbook/jlpt level by clicking the appropriate box.

@Anthropos888 We will give it some thought. We had thought about making ghost reviews completely pause a grammar point until the ghost review is finished. So if you are studying だ and miss a sentence, your main review stream for だ will be paused until you complete the ghost review for the sentence you missed, after which your だ review will be unlocked and you can continue with it. Please let us know your thoughts on that approach.

4 Likes

Well yes, everything is better than having the same grammar point twice in one session, because that completely destroys the SRS.

Your approach sounds very good to me. First get the ghost review done and then continue with the normal review. Also that would result in less reviews, because users don’t see these grammar points twice (the high number of reviews with ghost reviews activated seems to be the main complaint regarding ghost reviews).

One thing to consider is, how many days there should be between finishing the ghost reviews and continuing with the normal review of that grammar point (maybe there should be some days in between).

2 Likes

The spacing would be whatever you had worked toward. So if you were at a streak of five and failed, your new streak would be four, you would do your ghost review until it finished then when it was done, your normal review would be due in two days, which is the standard wait between four and five.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Hopefully you can implement it like this with one of the next updates.

Edit: insane, I just had 4 reviews of the same grammar in one session (1 normal 3 ghost)! I was absent for some weeks so I forgot many new grammar points, leading to new ghost reviews now plus the old ghost reviews for that grammar point I still had. This would also be fixed when you suspend the normal reviews until the ghost reviews are done.

1 Like