Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Hi, I have a couple of quick suggestions.

1. When I’m doing lessons and get to the example page, I scroll down to the bottom to listen to them all but then I have to scroll back up to the top to get to the next item. Maybe you could have either the navigation for the next lesson item (<< | >>)or the navigation to go to the reading material (Meaning| Examples|Readings) for the item (or both) at the bottom of the page too. It’s not that big of a deal to scroll back up but it’s nice if I don’t have to.

2. This is a super picky thing that might not matter much but maybe others noticed it too. The links for “Study” goes to an HTML page called “/learn” but the link for “Review” goes to a page named “/study”. It’s just a tiny bit confusing.

I posted this as a topic in the Bunpro section a few days ago but realized it’s more appropriate in this thread:

Would it be possible to let the user set their timezone or perhaps the time GMT that their review counter moves to the next day for each 24hr cycle. For example, I am in JST timezone and today I did about 30 reviews in the morning, but because I did some last night, on my stats the number for yesterday is higher than what actually happened in real life. Also today it only says I did 2 reviews, when I did more. Thanks!

Thanks for the comments! Good point about how reconstructing an entire sentence may require the consideration of too many variables.

How about a full word-by-word sentence reconstruction / Listening option from the sentences/audio recordings that are already available? This way, we do not have to account for the different grammar variations since the user is supposed to type out the contents of the audio recording.
I think this has been mentioned above and I would really enjoy that feature too.

I imagine that would be easier to develop from a dev point of view?
Could be a quick win for marketing a new feature! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please add the Japanese terms for verb conjugations in their respective grammar points. Example: passive, potential, conditional, causative, causative-passive and so on. It’s hard to ask Japanese people about the “causative-passive” - it would be easier to know the Japanese term. Even the Englisch terms “casual” and “polite” can cause misunderstandings, so the Japanese terms would be good to know.

5 Likes

Great idea! :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve turned off English on example sentences so I can try and translate them myself before I check how close I got. I’ve noticed pronouns are often added that aren’t in the sentence like:

From Verb[た]

I know enough Japanese that if I translated it (before looking) as “I played soccer here”. I know I’m not wrong. I’m just wondering if newer people to Japanese might not. Would it be possible to maybe put “We” in brackets or parentheses or some other formatting? This isn’t vital or urgent. I just thought it might be nice to make it clear in the English translation that the Japanese sentence doesn’t have “we” in it or even implies it (since we have no context).

I don’t know if this is necessary to do. Maybe no one is confused by it. I just thought I should mention it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to request that more of lesson notes are displayed before the ellipsis. Often I write a one line note as quick reference reminder, but cannot see all of it unless I click. For example here is a note I created which I was hoping would be completely shown when closed:

And here is how much is visible when closed:

This is a minor issue, but would improve the platform a bit in my opinion. Thanks again for all your hard work!

4 Likes

Thanks for saying your request. I’ve been wanting to say this request too but held back because my English. I wonder if it can be displayed just like WK notes (without the ellipsis).

1 Like

I second this

1 Like

This grammar has a lot of exceptions from the normal structure:

These exceptions are not covered by the SRS since you only see each sentence once (plus maybe ghost reviews). So it’s unlikely that users can remember all these exceptions when seeing the sentence just once.

1. I’d suggest to use just the normal structure (prefix + verb stem + いたす) for all sentences in this grammar point.

2. add another grammar point for the polite forms of certain verbs with several sentences for each verb.

3. bug: you added orange explanations for many of the sentences, but these are not visible in the grammar point itself, only during reviews when you open the examples tab. Please make your explanations also visible in the normal grammar point

4 Likes

Feature Request: allow batch sizes of 1 and 2.

Right now the minimum is three, and for someone that struggles with memorising new grammar points, I’d love to tackle fewer at once. 1 a day would be ideal. 3 seems too much for my poor brain to handle!

4 Likes

It’d be real neat to have a button that’d let me look at the previous question. I have bunny mode on, which is usually fine, but sometimes I find I’ve entered the answer and moved on before really reading the whole question. Since I often try to stretch myself on such questions, by quickly coming up with a another sentence for it or whatever, it’d be real handy to be able to retroactively take a peek. Failing that, having a link to open the relevant grammar point for the previous question would also be fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe I’m just not seeing it so if it’s already there please direct me but I was wondering if it would be possible to add a jlpt level to the grammar that your studying when doing the various paths (Tobira, Genki, etc). Really just so you could keep up with where each one fell. Thanks for all you guys do!

2 Likes

At some point in the beginning Bunpro had a “back” button to go to the previous question. I really liked that feature but maybe they
had to discontinue with that when the site got more complex. I would appreciate it if they tried to implement that button again.

1 Like

I suggested this before as well. Hopefully they add this at some point.

On trickier grammar points, shouldn’t the 硬 label be 難 instead? 硬 is a physical property of a もの, not a こと.

硬 (硬い) here refers to the grammar point being formal or used primarily in writing.

2 Likes

Oh, didn’t those used to be marked with a pencil? I remember icons of people speaking to denote primarily used in spoken language, is that not a thing anymore?

Can’t say I remember seeing either of those icons, sorry.

Going through 完全マスターN2 and I have some suggestions for additional additional grammar points:

~はさておき
~ばかりか
~に限って (Add the meanings of “~ is exceptionally different than usual” and "I especially don’t believe that~”, probably should be extra grammar points)
~限りでは
~てこのかた (could be paired with て以来 since it doesn’t make a distinction in the book)

~うちに (I think it the “while doing this, this happened” should be a separate grammar point than the “you should do this while ~ is the case” nuance because I’ve gotten tripped up on that before.)

5 Likes