Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Are we already able to add our own grammar items to review? If not, that should be a feature.

Or just request they add it so we can all benefit. :slight_smile:

That would take much longer than just being able to add your own items.

The lessons break up feels kinda pointless right now since the batch will just run over the lesson breaks. Maybe have batch cutoff at the end of a lesson or like WaniKani only let people study a certain amount at a time and only introduce more once they’ve gotten old stuff right a couple times.

It would also be cool if in reviews we sometimes got sentences where we had to enter 2 or more grammar points. Maybe even have us assemble sentences from a word bank. Although ideally we would be able to type our answers like Duolingo.

We already have a way to enter our own review sentences but it would be cool if there was some way we could submit those sentences to further supplement the example sentences for all users.

8 Likes

Another suggestion that would be cool, I know that some apps already do this, would be to have a tab with past JLPT tests (I think there’s a database with free questions, since every app has the same tests) where we can keep our progression and do the tests for fun and to test if we really learned. I think this would be the best tool to really affirm that bunpro is working and to instill confidence in user’s ability, because if we can consistently nail past JLPT questions, it means we can do the test and get the certification.

After studying and doing the reviews, the user could open the tab and do some JLPT questions and save their progress or maybe do a timed test, where they get to do the whole test at once.

16 Likes

I really like the idea of having to type 2, or possibly more grammar points in.

1 Like

great idea, you’re a genius

3 Likes
  1. Reviews: you already have a counter for the number of reviews that are still in the queue. Please add a counter for the number of correct answers and the accuracy percentage like in WaniKani\Kaniwani:

1. If you compare this screenshot of the WaniKani review screen with the Bunpro review screen on phones:

…then you’ll notice that Wanikani is way more compact and that Bunpro has a lot of unused space and many elements are just too big for phone screens.

It would be so nice if you add a setting “show menu bar during reviews - yes\no” and “show +Guide button during reviews yes\no”

As for now, I always scroll down until just the review sentence is seen. Then I type in my answer and press submit. But that causes the screen to jump to the top again and I need to scroll down again for the next review question. So it is going up and down all the time on my phone and that’s really annoying. If I could hide the menu bar these problems where solved.

1 Like

Weird, the iPhone app doesn’t show the menu.

So right now we can in reviews we can show, minimal (show hint), or hide English; it would be cool if instead of having that setting stay the same across all reviews if it instead set the setting based on the SRS level of the item being reviewed.

So maybe if you get the reviews right 1 through 3 times it shows the entire English sentence and the hint, 4 - 6 times only show the hint, and 7+ times shows only the Japanese sentence and if we find that we can’t understand something we could still hit space bar to cycle through the options.

1 Like

Is it possible to add in a feature to limit the number of reviews in a session?

At the moment I find it a bit overwhelming when I’m trying to clear a lot of reviews. I end up repeatedly forgetting a grammar point I covered recently, because I’ve gone through 10+ other grammar points since I last saw it.

Anki handles this by letting you choose the number of reviews you get allocated in a session. I believe WaniKani has a similar feature where you can end a session by going through around 10 reviews (it’s been a long time since I used WK so this may be different now).

EDIT: Just noticed the finalise feature. My bad! Is there an option to choose the number of reviews for this?

7 Likes

The finalize button will just make sure to do the “second attempt” for all the reviews you already got wrong in that session.

3 Likes

something like the timeline script would be nice

1 Like

It would be nice to be able to force reviews for a specific JLPT level (but without it affecting the SRS) so you can batch review for the JLPT a few days ahead of the test.

3 Likes

One thing that I think keeps the community engaging on Wanikani is how the dashboard page has some of the latest discussion topics displayed.

On Bunpro, it’s very possible to forget about the community pages because they’re hidden in a menu. Perhaps you should put something on the main page which shows some recent activity.

6 Likes

It would be nice to have a tab that shows the WaniKani or dictionary details of each Kanji used in the given sentence so we can at least somewhat properly learn new Kanji we might come across on here instead of just trying to remember that specific combination.

1 Like

If you’re using a browser, I’d suggest downloading rikaikun (and its variations rikaichan I think?), its exactly what you’re asking for, except that you can use them in any website with kanjis you go.

Indeed it’s a great addon, I use it a lot. But I guess I mean more so having that feature there for mobile use, as that is what I will end up using this site on most.

That would be like WaniKani trying to teach grammar in its example sentences though. Each site has it’s own purpose and goals, and I don’t see why Bunpro should go out of its way to teach kanji.

2 Likes

It’s not the same as full blown teaching of the Kanji… It’s just to help mesh those two experiences together more smoothly. I didn’t say “give reviews on Kanji”. Just to display the main information about them, which shouldn’t be any significant work since they already interface with WaniKani.

1 Like