Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

I don’t think that’s accurate though. It’s a noun because it’s the stem of a verb. I think the fact that it became a na-adjective has nothing to do with it being derived from 嫌う.

For example, 笑い is derived from 笑う, but it’s only a noun. Same goes for 違い, 誓い, and more.

1 Like

Hi, I have a suggestion for Bunpro to reduce its attrition rate and increase retention: Please assume we (customers) are stupid (because, well, we are) and auto-adjust user settings with a notification when their number of reviews reaches a critical point (keep increasing over X time, increases by more cards s than the user reviews in average, etc).

My experience:

• Tried bunpro to cram grammar before the JLPT, then forgot about it
  • Restarted with ~250 reviews to do, tried to do 30/day, ended with 450+ after 2 months
  • Burnout, I study about ghost reviews, understand I can reset them, set myself a daily 0 review policy
  • Started completing reviews in batches of 30 several times a day, new burnout
  • After searching through the community, I understood that changing the ghost review settings to minimal could be helpful (I’ll see if it really is over the following days).

A regular user shouldn’t need to search so much through documentation and forum to fix these settings. Thanks for your understanding!

4 Likes

Are staff members still looking at this thread ?

2 Likes

@dori Yes! Thank you for your suggestions. We really appreciate all of the suggestions and feature requests that we get and would love to make many of them available to everyone in the future. For the time being, we are focused on polishing the site and filling in grammar gaps so that you can get the most out of your studies. We make sure to take detailed notes of and give serious consideration to all of your suggestions and feature requests. The settings page is long overdue for an upgrade and your suggestions will help us rework it and make it more user friendly. Cheers!

4 Likes

%E7%84%A1%E9%A1%8C
What on earth is this and why is the forum deciding that my sentence isn’t actually a sentence? Please get rid of this feature as it hinders interaction with the community.
EDIT: I had romaji in my sentence and it didn’t like me having it.

1 Like

Bunpro didn’t build the forums. Sometimes Discourse is just weird like that. Sometimes changing the message slightly will let it go through.

3 Likes

Ah I see. Sorry I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to this kind of thing :joy:

1 Like

BUG FOUND: Bunpro is supposed to hide the furigana of the “already learned” kanjis in relation to your WaniKani level, but in fact it hides you furiganas in relation to your “WaniKani + 1” level. Therefore, it is hiding furigana for kanjis you haven’t learning yet, for instance, if I am level 4, it is also hiding me furigana for level 5 kanjis… this is mostly caused due to a bad “less(<) or less equal(<=)” condition in the app source code. Please, fix this issue ASAP 'cause it is quite annoying…

3 Likes

It would be great to have a hotkey available during reviews to switch the hints from off, minimal, English. Would allow you to continue reviews without having to lift your hands off the keyboard. Or maybe I’m just lazy.

2 Likes

Hey :grin:

You can use “space” key to turn off, turn on and set to minimal the translation. :+1:

1 Like

Hey and welcome on community forums :smiley:

I will pass that to the programming team :+1:

1 Like

Second this. It would help me remembering certain phrases because they become less abstract.

Other examples include:

2 Likes

I would like to have a link to the grammar point from the sentence [Review] screen. When a sentence I haven’t seen in awhile pops up (and especially if I then get it wrong!), I often want to review it the associated grammar point. But in order to do that, I need to go to the [Grammar] drop down, and then either navigate (if I happen to remember the JLPT level or path location) or search for the grammar point (assuming I remember what it was listed as). If there was a link (that opened in a new tab/window! :grinning: ), it would be a lot easier to do a quick brush-up/review on old sentences’ grammar points.

Further thought - it probably wouldn’t make sense to show the link or link text when the sentence pops up (because it might give away the answer), but maybe after it is answered.

3 Likes

In review, you can always press F or click on “Show Grammar Info” (under your XP bar) after you entered your answer. Isn’t that what you’re looking for?

2 Likes

That’s close, but it doesn’t put in the Self-Study questions; I go overboard with the Self-Study questions, and every time I get something wrong or see something new, I add more in. It makes for hundreds of reviews a day, but, like I said, I go overboard. (Plus, the Anki III badge looks pretty cool.) If the Self-Study tab was added in down there, it would solve the problem, too.

2 Likes

@sergioburdisso Currently Bunpro hides furigana for any Kanji that you have unlocked on Wanikani as the API cannot retrieve any information that you have not yet unlocked. Cheers!

@nathan.powers10

This is true for all browsers except Safari. For some reason we cannot get Safari to play nice with keyboard shortcuts.

More Keyboard Shortcuts

・Backspace/delete overrides your answer whether you have gotten it wrong (same as the “oops!” button) or correct (same as the “undo” button).
・Press ‘p’ to play audio (where available) after you have entered your answer.
・Spacebar cycles through the minimal hint and English.
・Press ‘f’ after you have submitted your answer to show the grammar info.

@Lilalas Thank you for your feedback. We will see what we can do. Cheers!

@monkeytunes Hey! If you click on the JLPT/Lesson info at the bottom of the Meaning tab when you open up the grammar info in Reviews, it will open up the grammar point’s main page (with Self-Study and all) in a new tab.

We are thinking about combining the Self-Study tab with the Examples tab so that you can have both Bunpro’s sentences and your sentences all in one place. This would also allow you to create your own study questions right in reviews. Stay tuned. Cheers!

3 Likes

Except it does work in Safari for me. I literally use this every review I do and space bar works fine to cycle. The other shortcuts also works fine. So… ?

@MissDagger The keyboard shortcuts only work properly if the cursor is not “focused” on the input field. Once you click in the input field the keyboard shortcuts do not perform how we would like them to. This only seems to be an issue on the desktop version of Safari (mobile works as expected). If you are able to utilize the keyboard shortcuts while the cursor is still active in the input field we would love to know more! Cheers!

Yeah, it works fine always. I could be halfway through writing the answer and pop between english/hint stuff. Or I can just have gotten to a new review after answering a previous one with the cursor in the input field ready for me to write and I can cycle through. This does not work though if I try to use a Japanese keyboard. When I use my normal Swedish keyboard settings, I can use space bar to cycle, but with Japanese keyboard (which I had accidentally turned on once) I could not. Those are the different keyboard languages I’ve downloaded (Swedish being my native one, although my computer is installed in English, but with Sweden/Swedish region settings).

Edit: Maybe the Swedish keyboard is just superior? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@MissDagger Hmmmm. Perhaps the Swedish keyboard is indeed superior! We will keep tinkering to figure out what might be the root of the issue. Thank you for providing this information to us. It might just help us find a solution. Cheers!

3 Likes