Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

@xBl4ck and @Kai I have updated な to require the verb when answering in reviews. Cheers!

@John_Doe Thank you so much for your detailed feedback and suggestions! I really like the idea of incorporating families and @jprspereira’s nuance thread is amazing. I think that we might be able to put something like that together in the near future. As you mentioned, adding additional grammar points and polishing the site are pretty high on the priority list, but we hope that we get to these features soon. Cheers!

@s1212z Wow! Thank you for your kind words and for providing such great insight into how we can better Bunpro. We love random thoughts! We always appreciate receiving this kind of feedback as it helps us in deciding what to prioritize as we continue to build upon and improve Bunpro. Cheers!

@conan Great suggestion! Our help and about pages could use some sprucing up. Cheers!

@Momiji Thank you for your feedback! We would eventually like to incorporate a resource list that links both grammar points that appear on Bunpro as well as sites for learning other aspects of the language (Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji, Yojijukugo, onomatopoeia, etc.). Cheers!

@Anthropos888 An improved search and related grammar in reviews is near the top of our to-do list. We are sorry that we do not yet have this feature available. Cheers!

6 Likes

Perhaps a short pre-N5 "bunny hill"section would suffice as well (Romanji or not)

I think thats a great idea. Depending on how its set up, maybe that could be handled with the existing Path-system. Upon registering and ones first login, the page could maybe ask you to “choose a path”, and then offer clearly marked options, like

I travel to Japan soon and need the most important conversational grammar (“Survival Path”)

I want to learn step by step, according to the JLPT and BunPro’s recommendation (“BunPro path”)

I am following a textbook… (allows selection of a textbook path)

This way, a user is quickly set up, with pathes set up already. A fun description could also help here. Afterwards, the site should automatically go to the Study site so the user can add reviews.

This should help with the critical first Session, where things NEED to go smoothly to retain users. The Website tutorial that already exists then does the rest.

I am not sold on using romaji, and would prefer linking someplaxe else for that, but I understand that it might be useful for beginners and allow you to use the famous “no prior knowledge required, get started today” marketing blurb :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow, these are all great ideas to help a raw beginner! The paths make total sense and, you are correct, are already being built with the textbook options. Too often I’m reading that new users are intimidated to start BP which shouldn’t be the case. The smoothness to retain users is a great point.

When I first start learning years ago, I needed survival Japanese but I went into the wrong direction. I bought a kanji book and went through the vocab and writing exercises while having another crappy survival romanji book (while in hindsight, wasn’t crappy at all and gave me the most immediate help). While the kanji writing book helped build kana along some vocab and reading skills, it was really the worst place for me to start as this provided minimal help (if any) with basic communication with natives. I thought vocab building needed to be my first priority but it wasn’t true. The DBJG book was a lifesaver.

3 Likes

@opgjoh These are excellent suggestions! We really like the idea of giving new users the ability to choose a path so that they can jump right into learning grammar in a way that best suits them. We will definitely see what we can do about getting this implemented. Cheers!

@s1212z Thank you for providing some details on your Japanese learning journey and what works best for you. DBJG is up there on the list of things to add to Bunpro. Cheers!

5 Likes

Study mode: please show the Bunpro lesson number (e.g. N3 lesson 1: 4/10) for each grammar point. There is no clue about where the grammar point is located in study mode. So I don’t know if it is N5, N4, N3 or N2 grammar if I regularly switch the study mode level in settings after you added new content.

6 Likes

I’d love to be able to switch the sound on/off during my revisions, without going all the way to the settings. It’s just a small thing, I know… '^^

4 Likes

Hi,

I have a request regarding the API.

I would like to ask for an enhancement to the study queue endpoint.

Currently, this endpoint provides the number of reviews next hour / next day, but I need more granularity than this.

Would it be possible to have an endpoint which provides all of the upcoming review items and their next review timestamp? Also, I’d like an indicator if a review is a ghost or not.

This would be similar to the “Show Upcoming Grammar” button on the profile page, but having this in a JSON response would be much better.

I’d like a response like this:

{
    "user_information": { ... },
    "requested_information": {
        "reviews_available": 0,
        "next_review_date": 1557205200,
        "reviews_available_next_hour": 0,
        "reviews_available_next_day": 7,
        "reviews": [
            {
                "grammar_point": "てから",
                "next_review_at_date": 1557205200,
                "is_ghost_review": false
            }, ...
        ]
    }
}

What is the current time line on the time zone fix things for streaks and such? I just lost my 150ish daily streak because I did my reviews too early yesterday and forgot I can’t do that if I want to keep my streak… … … …

1 Like

I always do mine after 10am JST

I will see what I can do to make that happen. I will also fix that bug with the incorrect JSON response when there is an error.

@MissDagger I pretty much have it all set up. It turned out to be a bit more complex of a change than just adding a setting, so I want to make sure it is as close to bug free as possible. I built in a “recalculate streak” function so when you change your timezone, it will calculate whatever you current streak for that timezone is and as long as you have been doing your reviews daily in that timezone, it should give you your streak back. :bowing_man:

3 Likes

I imagined there was something more complex that was taking time. :slight_smile: Glad to hear it will come soon. I might not get my full streak back since I did most of those 150 days in one timezone and then the last 50ish days here in Japan. (I moved from Sweden to Japan.) But even getting back a streak of 50+ would be nicer than my current 1 day streak. ^^

3 Likes

I have an impressive streak of 45 days since the last time I’ve done reviews.

8 Likes

For things such as によると, if we get it right by inputting によると, could the site maybe mark it as correct, but also additionally ask us to input alternative versions, such as によれば and maybe even によります? I do this on my own a little, but hey, this way I’d feel more compelled, I guess? Plus, sometimes I forget there’s even a alternate way to say the same thing.
Also, this is more for the future, and for the reason of knowing these forms when you read them. I figure just one way is enough in speaking and writing.

3 Likes

I still think these forums should get a more prominent place in the header:

5 Likes

Since おいでになる, according to an example explanation here is synonymous with いらっしゃる, how come it isn’t taught together with it? Feels like it would make sense if it was at least mentioned in a note for いらっしゃる, so that when we encounter おいでになる for the first time, it feels less alien? This is nothing major, tho, just QoL, imo.

2 Likes

Mentioned before, but here again:

• please add the oops! button for typos during the study quiz/reviews (it’s not possible to correct typos during the quiz! One need to finish the whole queue first in order to see the “wrong” sentence again)
  • please add the report error button to study mode (it’s not possible to report errors in study mode!)
1 Like

I just noticed there have been added custom scroll bars to the grammar info page on mobile. I don’t wanna say they’re bad, but I don’t see the benefit and I think the page was easier to navigate beforehand.

1 Like

RIP, I know that feeling well but never that much. +1 for the streak calculation change from me as well.

1 Like

I think a better option would be a one-time-use “C’mooooon, let’s be cool about this?” button/token in our accounts that let’s us keep the streak even if we miss a day. Just once, though.

2 Likes

Can we get a badge for breaking a 100+ day streak? haha I just want more badges

2 Likes