Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Is there a way to save what’s been “zapped”? This would work if I only have to do it one time, because if I have to do it every time, then when I go to get rid of the part that shows the remaining reviews then I’d just end up seeing how many I have to do which would defeat the whole purpose.

Edit: Looks like I found how to do it. Thank you!

1 Like

It’s been requested before to allow for pure Japanese, so all hints and such are also Japanese, to help with immersion and reinforcing what you’re learned. (Especially for higher levels.) I think that at least was on their to-do list?

3 Likes

I really hope it is! I looked all over, hoping there was a script or something but found nothing. However, it would be nice, just like adding synonyms on WaniKani; I wish I could modify hints to fit the actual meaning and not the English translation.

1 Like

So when you are doing reviews you can click the button at the bottom that’s says “Show grammar info” and it gives you more information. Right, so there are also related topics to some grammar points that you can click on. Problem is now when you click on them instead of them opening a new tab it just takes your current tab to the new subject. Completing breaking your review session.
Tried it a few times to make sure it wasn’t a one time thing.

1 Like

In the synonyms section when learning grammar the bunpro stamps with red are kind of distracting, and makes the underlying text hard to read. Can we get rid of the stamps/images? I dont see any benefit to them, it does not seem to even track the level of the grammar point either so its just visual clutter.

2 Likes

We would love to do this, but it would take an incredible amount of work (not an excuse in any way). There are just many things we need to think about first. The biggest challenges are these ones.

• The hints/etc would all need to be written in perfect Japanese, otherwise we may accidentally be forcing you to immerse with something that you shouldn’t be immersing with.
  • Even for a native speaker, it would (and will) take a lot of research into how some of the grammar points should be presented ‘in Japanese’. The main reason for this is that there are many grammar points in the higher levels that native speakers themselves simply do not use.
  • We’d possibly have to rework the way hints work entirely (from the backend), so that people were able to switch between languages instantly, should the need arise. This is mainly just in case people are reading hints that are still a bit above their level, it would break their flow of study quite a bit for them to have to go back to their settings and change the global language controls everytime they get stuck.

I (and the rest of the team) would still definitely love to do this eventually though, and once we figure out the best way to approach it ‘logistically’, it may be something that we very slowly roll out, so that we could get lots of user feedback along the way while we do it.

6 Likes

It seems like you’d need a separate website…
nihongodake-bunpro.jp :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

This seems incredible, but rather than Bunpro deciding the Japanese hint, which of course, seems like a huge undertaking, it would be nice for users to have their personal hint. For example, in the grammar point よう・に・する, a grammar hint said every day and making sure to as a way to get me to think of using ****ようにしている. This hint is more confusing than helpful to me, as I would think of the Verb-て+いる helper verb as meaning doing whichever verb but continuously. So I wish I could add my hint that said continuously making sure to to understand what I’m trying to say. Many people remember things differently, and it would be unrealistic to expect Bunpro to cover everyone’s thought process. So I think that letting users have a custom hint would be very helpful.
A final note: I am not learning japanese for any JLPT exam. I just want to read and enjoy the language. Bunpro is a great way for me to input normal structure into my brain by practice. So for people like me who are not using bunpro to pass a JLPT exam, this would offer much more functionality.

2 Likes

(Unsure if bug report or feature request) When looking at a grammar point in Study mode (https://www.bunpro.jp/learn) the “actions” module is missing, so you can’t easily report problems or find the forum thread.

The synonyms are very crowded on this page and you can’t see the grammar points. In dark mode you can’t see the bunpro symbol to show what points you have learnt

3 Likes

I’m not able to find a specific place for reporting what I think are typos, but here for the grammar point てから in N5, I believe it is meant to say 「から can come after almost any form of verb.」

1 Like

It would be nice if the “vertical reading” option was saved when switching it

3 Likes

Cram → Troubled Grammar

It would be very nice if we could decide the settings that determine what is troubled grammar. Just what I think

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, there’s no Search option in Cram too, right? Last time using it, I had to go through the N level to find the particular Grammar to add. But I could be blind :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

When I’m going through the reviews, I get lazy and look at the highlighted english hint word I’m supposed to translate and then do a lot of really fast direct translation automatically (like “concerning” → について) without reading the sentence or understanding. I’d like it if there were some sort of setting I could toggle where I translate the full sentence or a greater part of the sentence.

4 Likes
  1. I think it would be useful if the grammar on the cram page could be sorted by SRS level. That would make it a lot easier to face one’s ghosts and get faster done with weak and new grammar.

2. If the SRS level information on the dashboard would link to the respective section (as imagined above) on the cram page that would encourage cramming.

3. It would be cool if there were a cram button on the page of every grammar point.

1 Like

Edit: I thought you meant Japanese > English, ignore what I said below. English > Japanese would be very interesting!

I think you can do that already. Try this:
Settings > General
Scroll down until “Reviews” and then for Review English select “Hide”
imagem

Then your reviews start with the Japanese sentence alone and after you read it, you can click “Hint” in the left down corner to show the English. Each time you click that button, more info appears.

After “Hint”:

After “Show”:

It would be nice to know what Level / Lesson the grammar point is in the modal popup.

2 Likes

While the discussion pins are nice, I’d like to hide them or unpin them from the bunpro dashboard, so I can actually see what’s new being discussed. As for example: Now shows a 1 month old topic in the latest discussion.

Only reason the FAQ shows is because it got pinned globally which technically counts as an update, same way editing your post from a year old topic will bring it to the latest discussion. Otherwise it should be just like before if you look at it now with recent posts made.

3 Likes