Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Would it be potentially possible to get a settings option to not have on-site things open in new tabs/windows?
I surprisingly often end up with 4-6 bunpro tabs open when I’m working on the site because things like grammar search and deck management and such seem to always open in new tabs.

2 Likes

Yes, please!!

1 Like

Here’s a strange request that I have. Would it be possible to change the review order based on mastery? So at first, I began studying with almost 60 words a day, due to having some vocabulary already and studying it quite a bit as well as having more time. I’m now well into my bunpro journey at this point so I’ve slowed down but based off my speed a while ago, I’m getting massive amounts of reviews while having little to no time for current reviews. This is where my suggestions would come into play: If I am able to review high level master items first, I can focus on getting them out of the way for longer periods of time rather than having them pop up in the middle of the more recent stuff that I may be having trouble with.

It’s definitely just a preference of mine, but it would be nice to be able to knock them out for a few weeks to focus on my newer stuff while they’re on cooldown rather than being intimidated by consistently high review numbers because I’m haunted by the sins of my past and vocab I already know.

2 Likes

It’s always good to have options but personally I wouldn’t recommend doing that: if you prioritise stuff with high mastery (longer intervals between reviews) you risk forgetting the newer things.
If something was meant to be reviewed after a month, but is reviewed after a month and one day it’s not a big deal, the month was an estimate of the optimal time anyway, so in percentage this is a tiny difference well within the estimation error. On the other hand, if an item was meant to be reviewed in 8 hours, and it’s instead reviewed in a day and 8 hours, this is a huge percentage difference, and it is likely that a fresh item will have been forgotten by then. So it seems better to prioritise new items in review, to ensure they aren’t forgotten.

Personally I think the ideal prioritisation would be based on delay (time actually elapsed/planned interval).

2 Likes

Learning Japanese can be generalized into these comprehension skills:

1. Grammar
  2. Vocabulary
  3. Reading
  4. Listening
  5. Kanji

Bunpro is generally pretty good with 1-4
So I guess my suggestion would be to round out the app with kanji to make it an all-in-one.

3 Likes

I see where you’re coming from, however I find it difficult to focus on new stuff if I’m muddled with old stuff. Imagine it like an RPG, some players run immediately towards the end while others sit at the start area and exhaust the resources. both are viable, and both have their pros and cons. I’d rather knock out early stuff then move onto new stuff so i can focus on said new stuff.

1 Like

Community example sentences. I know there are forum posts for each grammar point but if it is possible I would be interested in a post for each grammar point but with the intention of just dumping real sentences that people have found with the grammar point (and ideally the context/surrounding sentences). This would give a snapshot of the contexts a grammar point is actually used in.

4 Likes

would be possibile to have a a feature for vocab, that it s already been implementend for grammar.
in grammar you can just select the grammar points you want to study and then add them in the reviews section, however as far as I know this is not possible for vocab and it s a bit of a nuisance as i have to click on every single word scroll down and add them to the review. would be nice to have the same features for vocabs as well, and if it s there already my bad.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to add a bulk import option for vocab. I am using vocab lists from my class and would love if I could just copy paste a delimited list (with spaces, commas, etc) that would then add all those words to your reviews.

3 Likes

Having a way to add a list of vocab to reviews would be great.

Also, having a way to export a list of known vocab would be really useful. I love the little list that pops up when you click one of the stages on the dashboard, but it’s not copy-able, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

I’d like an infinite audio repeat playback button so that I don’t have to repeatedly hit play button on the iPad. With a repeating audio loop, it’s much easier to practice a pronunciation as there is no variation as to when it repeats.

3 Likes

For the に違いない grammar point, the prompt in the reviews has a keyword like “no mistake”. I put in に間違いない twice (once because I thought it was the answer and once because I thought it was failed due to a typo). Would be nice if に間違いない got bounced back rather than failed as I think it is pretty easy to input に間違いない based off of the prompt (and it is a thing people say). Maybe it is just me though…

3 Likes

@walter

I’m planning on adding a way to order your reviews directly inside of the Reviews system.
I’ll add a note to allow Highest/Lowest ordering by SRS level

2 Likes

I would like to see a review mode where you have to select the correct answer from 4 or more options , more like a JLPT test.

When you already studied a lot of grammar, sometimes it’s hard to know which one will be the correct, as a lot of grammar sometimes have more or less the same meaning.

Without any hint, and with my native language, probably I will doubt about which words I should put in that blank space sometimes too.

3 Likes

It might sound a bit weird, but could you add a link to the dashboard (Log in - Japanese Grammar Explained | Bunpro) to the dropdown menu or so?
All the information is found on the middle to right hand side or in the dropdown… it really feels counterintuitive to click on the logo on the left to go to the dashboard. I often just click around confused, searching for the Dashboard to see the Review Forecast but only find the upcoming reviews in my profile :smile:

2 Likes

I’m pretty new to Bunpro, though already about halfway through WaniKani. Bunpro feels amazing tool for learning Grammar and am planning to get a full subscription after the free trial. I couldn’t find an existing solution on the website (or app) for the following feature request, so please forgive me if it already exists somewhere but I was unable to use it somehow.

Feature Request: I know some grammar points but not some others, so in addition to following a specific track from JLPT level, I would like to be able to add custom grammar points to my lessons list. For example, if I come around a new pattern in real life usage and I can find it on Bunpro, then instead of having to learn it immediately, I would like to add it to the my upcoming lessons so that I can pick it up when I study in my regular time later.
Current workaround: I currently add the grammar points to Reviews, which forces me to learn the lesson when I actually start doing my reviews. This still works in the sense that I learn the new grammar point by failing the first review. But this is not the ideal way to mix learning and reviewing, so it would be nice to be able to add selected grammar points to my upcoming lessons list.

1 Like

Mostly just a rant
I’ve started doing the N4 VOCAB deck. And I think it so far is actually pretty bad. A real step down from N5 VOCAB. My main gripe is this vocabulary deck has a lot of grammar in it, some of which is already available on the site. And so far a few of them have been N3 grammar points in this N4 VOCAB deck. But really why does this deck have grammatical devices at all? If you were going to make an English vocab deck for native Japanese speakers would you fill it full of adverbs and conjunctions? Probably not because those are best taught inside of a sentence because they’re concepts more than things. When I got things like “とか” I can’t ever remember them because they aren’t really things. The deck, to me, just looks like it was auto-grabbed off some list found online without any thought or care. The N5 deck was pretty good in my opinion. But the N4 deck just feels like a bad anki deck.
And yes, I know technically every single word is a part of vocabulary. I mostly just wanted to shout into the void because I’m struggling with a particular block of reviews.

So now with a slightly cooler head I have looked through the multiple pages of N4 deck. And I am happy to announce that the deck does look like it actually gets very good, but not until you get to page 4 of the deck. So all of the frustration that I posted does still stand, but it really only applies to the first 2 and a half pages of the N4 Vocab deck. Once you get to “love” then the deck starts looking like what I think a vocab deck is. Before then its chock full of grammar that this site already handles, and handles in a way better fashion. I don’t think it surprises anyone that this site is good at teaching grammar, but grammar in a flashcard format really isn’t the best. And most of all the vocabulary words you “learn” in the first few pages are just english words. I assume this is due to alphabetical order but there are just so many different points that are just english words written in katakana. And we all know katakana already lets the reader know the word is likely a loan word already. The deck shows itself as a deck to learn japanese, not as a deck to learn how to say english words with a japanese accent.
So that’s my updated rant. N4 deck is actually pretty good, it just starts off really poorly.

4 Likes

I have the opposite opinion: a lot of grammar ‘points’ (god how I hate this word, grammar is not about ‘points’ but the relationship between words and the sentence structure in general) are not actually grammar, but mere vocabulary.

1 Like

I’m only just getting into the vocab decks after trying other options. With sentences available as part of the srs its a much better way of learning that words in isolation.
Doing the N4 deck though, there are so many words I am already confident with, that going through and adding words is a pain. I can’t just click on ‘Learn X amount of lessons’ without getting all the words I already know, so currently I’m manually going down the list looking for words I don’t know to add to reviews

My request would be to add a ‘SKIP’ button when doing vocab lessons, or groups of lessons after clicking ‘Learn [#]’, that way you could just enter the deck lessons, and either learn the word and add it to reviews, or Skip it if you already know it. Repeat until you have reached your limit of lessons.
(Note: I don’t like using ‘I already know this/mark as mastered’ button and adding tons of points for no study time, but that’s not even an option when doing the vocab lessons from main page

2 Likes

Hi Superpnut, thanks for your feedback on the decks!

I definitely agree that some of the words do double as grammar points, but in some cases these are unavoidable, as most resources teach vocab and grammar independently of each other. This results in things like そんなに, こんなに, and あんなに being vocab structures at the same time that they are grammar structures. To make matters worse, the JLPT itself has quite a bit of vocab that doubles as grammar, depending on the year.

My advice to avoid frustration would be to just mark all of these words as known in one broad swathe, and then enjoy the meat of the deck, which as you mentioned contains a lot of really good words. I have personally studied all of these decks in the same way that they appear on Bunpro, and agree that there are strengths and weaknesses at the moment, and we will try to work out more and more of these kinks as time goes on. For the time being, it may be possible for us to add a setting to the deck that hides any words related strictly to grammar patterns that are also taught on the site. Would a setting like this be helpful to you?

2 Likes