Feedback - Suggested Improvements/Feature Request

Awesome idea, I would love something like this myself. I will see if it is something that is possible!

2 Likes

Well I really can’t say what is best or not to do because this isn’t my field. For a person like me I think I would like the option to hide them because I personally would prefer them not to be there. I did actually last night just start adding them to the I know option. Another option could be to spread them out maybe.
But yes, I would prefer to hide any words related to grammar patterns. Because I already have a better way to learn grammar patterns, its the rest of this site. But I wouldn’t make too much of a fuss about what I said, I just have a small brain and big opinions

2 Likes

I learnt a whole lot of grammar too fast, and don’t really utilise it in conversation. I’d love a ‘grammar of the day’ feature, that would randomly chose one of your bookmarked grammar, and display it. Preferably on a widget. Or, is there a similar feature somewhere that I’m missing?

Like, is there a way to use the cram feature to chose just one grammar point out of the bookmarked grammar to intensively study?

2 Likes

Would a sort of backspace remorse feature be possible? I know the obvious answer is don’t be so undisciplined, but in the scenario:

I’ve got a review wrong (but I do “know” the answer, so I’ve hit backspace and put it right).
Later I’ve admitted to myself I really didn’t know it well enough and should have let it go through as wrong.

Currently I can go into a review point and reset it but not say “actually I was wrong last time”.

A sort of Oops on the oops if you will.

3 Likes

I would really love this as well, but for the opposite reason.

Sometimes I will know something but have a typo, but I accidentally move on to the next point because I accidentally pressed enter twice (which on my phone submits and then moved on.)

It really sucks to know that you know it but made a typo, but have no way to go back and fix it because you accidentally moved on.

(This is more or less a feature that exists in other srs apps I use, namely jpdb.io which is my vocab app of choice and iirc Anki when I used it, and I use the feature all the time.)

1 Like

There should be a way to manually ghost specific sentences.

I have ghosts set to minimal, and I don’t want to set it to full. If I make a mistake once, usually that’s a grammar issue and not a sentence issue and I personally find the default srs system sufficient to help me figure it out. I don’t want to ghost those sentences.

However, there are occasions where a grammar point can have different structures while the majority of sentences only test one structure. It would be nice if I could manually ghost the sentences where I actually feel like I need to study that sentence more.

An example of the different structures that got me today:
For めったに there are two structures,
めったに+ Verb (ない) and Noun+めったにない
Until now (intermediate 3) I had only been tested with the verb structure, but today I was given a sentence using めったにない, which I didn’t remember was a thing. For the question, I thought めったに was most appropriate, but couldn’t figure out how it could possibly fit without a verb.

I would like to ghost the sentence with the noun structure because I feel like I could use more practice with that. I wouldn’t want to ghost sentences with the verb structure even when I have gotten them wrong since the majority of sentences use that anyway so I don’t need extra study for those sentences.

1 Like

It can be found here, though this does suggest that grammar should be more searchable especially some of the weird edge cases that show up inside bigger grammar points.

It is a feature that bunpro requires, input.

Though, I am sympathetic to bunpro not having resources in your native language, but that does not mean that multiple choices questions are the solution.

You know, I have a somewhat similar frustration at the colloquialization we have developed on Bunpro of point in the sense that we mean it. Unfortunately English lacks a counter/collective group noun other than grammars which is a touch clinical. In Japanese I have tended to use 個 though I am not convinced it the correct option.

If you are going to add filters to the decks, I think something like Nouns/Verbs/Etc. would be a good addition. Sometimes it is nice to focus on a certain kind of word.

You are missing the step of just going ahead and putting in the wrong answer after putting in the correct one. Add this to my ever growing list of people who seem to do this weird thing (Myself included). There is a problem waiting to be defined and a solution waiting to be created.

I second this idea.

2 Likes

One of the things we would definitely like to improve in the (hopefully) near future is the search function. Although we have a few ideas for how to do this, one of the most obvious ones that we would like to implement and will probably be the first step is adding all of the alternative names that various textbooks use.

While we have no plans for a feature such as this yet, it is possible that we may be able to create some practice tests of sorts in the future, especially now that we have several native speakers on the team to be able to throw ideas around between.

It is very true that ‘points’ is a bit of a generalization. For the most part, grammar can be compartmentalized into 2 groups that are equally important to understand in the endeavor of learning a language.

The first is actual fundamental grammar such as particles, the way verbs conjugate, conjunctions, word order, etc.

The second, and component that would fulfil what would constitute a ‘point’, is regularly occuring structures that carry highly contextual information. In comparison to singular words such as nouns, verbs or adjectives in isolation, they are groupings of words partnered with more fundamental grammar in a way that gives you a lot of ‘bang for your buck’ so to speak. One grammar point is probably worth 50 words in terms of how knowing it can help one decode a sentence.

100% agree. It would be great to have as many filters as possible in the future. One I’d love to see myself is a filter by kanji, for seeing how the same kanji can be used in many different words.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m aware of that technique, it still requires a certain honesty with oneself at the time. The issue is more that I don’t like to be wrong and so don’t really admit to myself that I am, until after I’ve done my reviews (I know be more disciplined). Later I find myself thinking “yes when prompted you where wrong, you were able to correct but didn’t know it well enough to produce the right answer first time”. I then get regret as I feel I’ve cheated my own learning.

Being about to manually drop a SRS level and trigger ghosts would do it.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s been suggessted, but a faster way to mark vocab as “known”. A batch system would be nice, but even cutting the process from 4 clicks to 1 would be a huge improvement.

4 Likes

Hello, sorry if the question has already been posted!

Is there any way to review my vocab with both bunpro cloze and manual input, instead of having to chose only one in my deck settings?

I really like bunpro cloze, but I would also like to review the vocabulary I’m learning in Japanese → English style.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, this is huge.

Vocab decks are amazing!
Please, let us study those frequency lists you have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would be nice if I could manually ghost the sentences where I actually feel like I need to study that sentence more

We have plans to add this feature directly in the Example Sentences section in the near future!

5 Likes

Quartet Book 1 & 2 Path

Some of my friends and I currently going through the Genki 2 Bunpro path have been wondering if Bunpro ever has a plan to continue with an intermittent level path?

Genki recommends continuing onto Quartet after completing the book, so would it be possible to have a Quartet path?

Thank you for your consideration,

Champ4666

6 Likes

That sounds great!

It would be nice if you also add the functionality to the review system as well. Maybe like a button at the top of the card with like a ghost icon.

Being able to ghost from example sentences would be sufficient to solve my problem and more flexible so definitely looking forward to that, but also it would be more streamlined to ghost a card during my reviews so that would also be appreciated (and possibly easier to implement as well.)

2 Likes

Would it be possible to offer a download option for the sentence audios? I’d love to be able to pick and download individual audios to set up a personal shadowing playlist.

1 Like

lasts 1 seoncd
The button on the top. When you click it it changes to this:
button only lasts 1 second
BUT it only changes to that for a second, so you don’t get time to read it.
Which it really shouldn’t change back at all, but if it has to why wouldn’t you give it at least 10 seconds so it can be read.

4 Likes

The site looks a lot better with the grammatical terms revamped! Is there any place that contains a list of all of those terms? I like to ask my instructor for help in Japanese, and I’d like to make myself a vocal list so I can refer to specific concepts. I was going to scroll through all the lessons and tabulate the terms manually but I’m sure there’s an easier way!

1 Like

Here is a rough list of what we have. Not all of them are strictly “Technical Terms”

English Japanese
auxiliary verb 助動詞
literary auxiliary verb 文語助動詞
classical auxiliary verbs 文語助動詞
conjunction 接続詞
case marking particle 格助詞
binding particle 係助詞
adverbial particle 副助詞
conjunction particle 接続助詞
sentence ending particle 終助詞
listing particles 並立助詞
compound particle 複合助詞
attributive form 連体形
standard form 普通形
imperative form 命令形
hypothetical form 仮定形
conjunctive form 連用形
plain form 終止形
indeterminate form 未然形
dictionary form 辞書形
polite speech 丁寧語
honorific language 尊敬語
humble speech 謙譲語
poetic language 雅語
spoken/colloquial language 口語
noun 名詞
pronoun 代名詞
adverb 副詞
particle 助詞
compound word 連語
suffix 接尾語
suffix character 接尾辞
prefix 接頭語
negative statements 否定表現
quotation 引用
result 結果
appearance 様態
hearsy 伝聞
assumption 仮定
limit 限定
completion 完了
addition 添加
continuation 存続
materialization 成立
past 過去
degree 程度
analogical reasoning 類推
stipulation 条件
predicate 述語
transitive verbs 他動詞
intransitive verbs 自動詞
non-independent word 非自立
7 Likes

I think it would be good if there was a vocab deck made of the kanji used by bunpro when you have the language set to japanese. Such as the words you see on the dashboard page and all the drop down menus. Because mostly when I try japanese language I just click on the buttons I know without being able to read them.

4 Likes