である formal copula - Grammar Discussion

English translation:
be, is, will be

Structure:
Noun + である
なAdj + である

View on Bunpro

[Unlike だ/です - である can be used instead of な and の when modifying nouns in formal writing. (Look: example 6)]

Regarding to the note above, which one is the example 6? There’s no numbering in the example tab.
I counted from the top and ended up in this example --> この資料は極秘 である 。 , but I don’t see the modifying noun case in it.

1 Like

Ohh sorry, it seems that only I have numbered examples. And the first one is counted as 0.

本来、ミノキシジルという 薬は 高血圧のための薬であるはず だったが、今では 脱毛を予防する薬になった。

Originally, medicine called minoxidil was expected to be a medication for high blood pressure, but nowdays it has become a medication that prevents hair loss.

Normally before はず you will see after な adjective and after a noun (or だった for both).
This is why you will often see in later grammar points that である is also allowed next to な/の.

彼かれはパイロットであった。
For this sentence it asks for the polite version, and it turns でありました into the above. Is that right? Is that the polite form of this copula?

@CrisH Hey! You should be getting the hint “[formal・literature・past]” for this particular sentence (not “polite”). Both であった and でありました are valid/acceptable answers here. Cheers!

I was fairly sure it asked for the polite version - I would double-check (is that what you’ve done?), but I don’t think we end-users can see the hints for each question anywhere unless we’re currently answering the questions. Is that right?
I know I do sometimes mix up formal with polite, so that probably is it. I just wanted to confirm.

Yes, I made sure when you made your comment that the hint displayed was “[formal・literature・past]." Cheers!

2 Likes