(FULL HOUSE) Genki 1 & Genki 2 Study Group with Native Japanese Volunteers in Second Life starting January 2022

Thank you to those who have responded earlier here in this thread and via Second Life’s IM. If you’ve sent me a message there, I’ve read them and gave your Second Life username to the Nihongo Tea Room owner. Sorry for my late response there as I only login once a week on average and will try to reply ASAP, but rest assured that your username is being added to the safelist.

The same goes for anyone who has expressed their interest to join under this thread. You have been added to the list and we’ll be waiting for you to come over to Second Life with your registered SL username. It would be great if you could edit your reply here and write your SL username too.

If it’s not too much, mentioning your country would help too (Nihongo Tea Room owner is making a list of participants in Excel) - but it’s not compulsory if you’re concerned about privacy in this forum as we’ll have our introductions in class anyway, so it could be added later.

And the most important but unfortunate announcement is that I’ll have to end any more new registrations for now, or there might not be enough space in Nihongo Tea Room garden for everyone who has responded earlier (the owner joked that we might need a stadium! :sweat_smile:). We worry it might be hard to have a good learning experience if it’s too crowded.

But if there’s any new openings, I’ll definitely post again. The least crowded option at the moment is the weekly Shiritori Japanese x English Language exchange activity every Friday at 10.30pm JST. It’s happening in Nihongo Tea Room as well, and I think you don’t have to register or give your Second Life username to join this activity.

It is less-structured compared to learning via Genki textbook but it will be good as another Japanese speaking exercise. This activity has the most Japanese native speakers attending in Nihongo Tea Room due to them wanting to brush up their English while casually teaching you Japanese.

Sincere apology for those who aren’t able to join this Genki study group anymore but I personally think there are more efficient ways to learn Japanese than this. All the best in everyone’s learning journey and thank you for your time reading this. :bowing_woman:

For those who wishes to join the weekly Friday night Shiritori Japanese x English language exchange activity with more native Japanese speakers, you may jump straight to this link for the guide.

Below are references for those who have signed up earlier for the Genki study group:

• Genki 1 Study Group will start on Saturday, 15th January 2022, 9pm JST. Please check out the link in the middle of this post as there are more details about the activity and where to install Second Life (that’s all you need for sign up).

• Genki 2 Study Group will start on Saturday too, 8th January 2022, 10pm JST and there’s already a couple of existing learners. New participants are welcome if you’re done with Genki 1 and the sign up process is the same, as explained in the link below.

Yoshi Sensei plans to guide us with Genki 1 and Genki 2 back-to-back, every weekend from January onwards. Even though I’m starting Genki 2 next year, I’m glad he is doing Genki 1 again at the same time too. I still need to brush up on some learned grammars to polish my comprehension and fluency.

Now here’s the copy and pasted notice from Yoshi Sensei:

Dear Japanese Language Learners.

I am planning a new Japanese activity for beginners. I would like to start GENKI (this is a very popular textbook for self-study of Japanese) from the Lesson One again.

This is a beginner course, but it require that you can read at least Hiragana characters. Katakana and Kanji characters are not required yet.

I would like to start on 15th January next year. If you are interested in this activity, you have about a few weeks before the start, so please learn Hiragana by then.

This activity is not like school. You need to study on your own. I will only push you and support you.

And here’s a note from the owner of Nihongo Tea Room, another native Japanese who regularly observes the class. Her English is superb, hence she helps Yoshi Sensei when there are difficult queries from learners.

Actually, it IS like school!

The classes will be taught by Yoshi-sensei, but Learners will need to do their own preparations and reviews. They will get homework. So we need your commitment. :slight_smile:

If you are a serious learner, come and join Yoshi-sensei’s Beginner Japanese activity! The lessons are serious but fun!

I’ve also provided my opinion about Second Life as a long time user in the rough guide below and it’s generally a mixed-bag (long story short: it’s very similar to how Internet and forums can be). Please take a look since explanations on how to join the study group are in the link below too.

Additionally, here is Yoshi Sensei’s latest updates for both Genki 1 and Genki 2 study groups:

BEGINNER JAPANESE 1

January 15, Saturday
9:00 pm (JST)
Break the ice!
Please introduce yourself (Japanese or English).
Let’s practice reading Hiragana together.

JAPANESE 2

1月 8日 土曜日 午後10時(JST),
January 8, Saturday

みなさん、あけましておめでとうございます。
今年もよろしくおねがいします。
さぁ、スタートしますよ!

【GENKI2】
Lesson13 アルバイト探し(Looking for a Part-time Job)のダイアログを読みましょう。

・30ページと31ページのGrammar 1 Potential Verbsを読んでおいてください。

5 Likes

Does everyone have to have the same edition of Genki? mine is the third edition.
Is it really bad to miss a week (the time difference puts it right in the middle of a Saturday so might have life chores)
Would it be possible to be shown how to use 2nd life enough to get to the right place ahead of time.

3 Likes

Oh and how many weeks did it take to get through Genki

thank you

2 Likes

Ignore that 3rd question about 2nd Life, I’ve managed to log in and find my way to the tea room… it was a bit lonely there… :slight_smile: I’ll keep an eye out for when the classes are on.

1 Like

Does everyone have to have the same edition of Genki? mine is the third edition.

I think Sensei and most of us are using the 2nd edition. However, I don’t think it will affect your studies if you’re joining the class with your 3rd edition textbook. You’ll see why when you’re coming to class in January :wink: Please don’t buy a new textbook just for this class since you already bought one.

Is it really bad to miss a week (the time difference puts it right in the middle of a Saturday so might have life chores)

If someone misses a Saturday or two in a row for any emergency / personal reasons, I don’t think that will be a big loss on recap. Usually the classes will still be on the same grammar point within a couple of weeks, if not more when it’s challenging.

Yoshi Sensei will also be sure to give you some light homework while you’re away so you’ll be able to catch up easily once you’re back again.

Oh and how many weeks did it take to get through Genki?

Frankly, it’s really slow if one is rushing for a certain JLPT test or qualifications to work/study in Japan. It’s a once a week Japanese beginner class after all.

Additionally, most of us learners there aren’t students, having day jobs and other usual grown-up responsibilities. One of us even have grandchildren. Can’t make things too overwhelming or Japanese learning will be a dread or a burden, in my opinion.

I’ve joined Nihongo Tea Room in late 2020 during the lockdowns and they were already halfway through Genki 1 when I first started. And we finished Genki 1 textbook just earlier this month. So that means it probably took roughly 2 years to finish all of Genki 1, if I’m not mistaken.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Genki 2 looks even bigger in volume than Genki 1, so it’s going to be another long journey indeed. But personally I’m not in a rush and I think you should come by anyway for a few weekends to see if you could enjoy the slow the pace or not.

I’ve managed to log in and find my way to the tea room… it was a bit lonely there… :slight_smile: I’ll keep an eye out for when the classes are on.

Wow, happy to hear you’ve made it there! Yes, Second Life is such an old virtual platform that it’s no longer always packed as it used to be a decade ago. Hence, you’ll see people around in Nihongo Tea Room only when there’s classes or parties going on.

Speaking of parties, if you’re already able to enter the place, do come by again on the 23rd December, 10PM JST. We’ll be having an early Christmas party and there’s gonna be some Japanese Christmas music mixed in by DJ Okapon.

Parties and Shiritori events are usually the only times I’ll see the most Japanese native speakers. They are usually there to learn or practice their English. Hope you can make it to the party and maybe I’ll see you there! :partying_face:

2 Likes

I am really keen to sign up! Is there a link/page where I can sign up now? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Happy to hear your interest to join! Installing Second Life and making an account there are the only things you need for the class sign up. Hope you can make an account as soon as possible. The entry to Nihongo Tea Room needs your account to be at least 2 weeks old, as explained in the link under my first post above.

But if you didn’t manage to make an account earlier than that, you can send me an IM in Second Life (my account name is Haruka Flores) and I’ll inform Nihongo Tea Room owner so she can add you in a safe list.

Looking forward to possibly sharing the same virtual Kotatsu with you in class, @bellac :blush:

2 Likes

Oh very nice very nice. I don’t know what Second Life is, I mean I googled it and it looks like…a strange version of sims? I will attempt to join to see if it’ll help me and I already have the book, but I couldn’t make a promise to go to all of them. But excuses are only for losers anyways so I will try >:)

2 Likes

Thank you! I think I did try to IM you on second life but I’m unsure if my message went through :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to meeting everyone else!

2 Likes

Second life is like VR Chat, without the VR and much older.

It was extremely popular in the past, but it’s still being used today.

2 Likes

okay it took me a second (hehe) but I made a second life account and I’m at the place. The software is a bit…different but I’m shure I will try it could anyone please let me know if there is anything else I am required to do.
Also im Suparpnut since someone had rudely taken my name >:c

4 Likes

For what I heard you need to poke @distantflower to add to the safe list if your account is younger than 14 days when it starts.

But if you created it today you might be safe for the mid-January date already.

1 Like

okay do I have to play the game? Because uhh…I kinda just want to do the class the game itself…ya i’d prefer not to >_<

1 Like

Maybe you need to login once but I don’t think you have to do anything else.

1 Like

@Superpnut

a strange version of sims?

It’s basically that, with worse graphics performance if one is using a low spec computer or a standard laptop like I do. But I persevere due to the free classes available and try avoiding crowded places in Second Life. More avatars means more lag, generally.

The software is a bit…different but I’m shure I will try it could anyone please let me know if there is anything else I am required to do.

Most importantly for now is to make sure if your computer is able to handle your avatar movements like sitting down and walking, if you can make your microphone to work in there and if you can learn to zoom-in and out of pictures or plants around you (this is so you can see what’s written on the whiteboard during classes). Avoid zooming-in other avatars as some might notice and get offended.

For Voice check, I highly recommend Teleporting to Voice Echo Canyon where you can test if your microphone works in Second Life and how it sounds to others. However, if self-testing seems daunting to you, maybe I could set a time to meet you this Saturday? Same time as the intended class next year would be good, I think. 9pm JST Saturday.

okay do I have to play the game? Because uhh…I kinda just want to do the class the game itself…ya i’d prefer not to >_<

No long-term playing required as long you have registered an account once. Lately, I’ve also been logging in Second Life only for classes and nothing else. So that means I’m on this forum far more often than there.

Checking whether your computer could use Second Life well enough is all that matters. It’d be sad if the technical problems becomes a hindrance to your Japanese learning. Just as long as you remember that there are still many other ways to find online classes that works best for you and your computer.

@bellac

I think I did try to IM you on second life but I’m unsure if my message went through

Sorry about my late response and I forgot to add that I do only login about once a week average in Second Life. My bad!

Sent you a reply there and hope to see you in class soon! :smiley:

@Megumin

For what I heard you need to poke @distantflower to add to the safe list if your account is younger than 14 days when it starts.

But if you created it today you might be safe for the mid-January date already.

Maybe you need to login once but I don’t think you have to do anything else.

Thank you for the mention and help, Megumin! You’re right, one just need to login once and don’t have to do anything else, as long their account is older than 14 days when the class begins. If an account is registered right after this, there should be enough time until mid-January for one to enter Genki 1 class hassle-free.

But just in case there are later sign-ups and if people wanting to join the Genki 2 start, just IM me in Second Life (my username there is Haruka Flores). I’ll forward your new Second Life username to the Nihongo Tea Room owner so she can add it in the safe-list.

Hope that helps, @Superpnut and sorry to hear that there’s already someone rudely taken your name in Second Life. You’ll always be the only Superpnut to me!

3 Likes

Amazing, thanks! So I’m on the safe list to go checkout the Tea House?

I also have a friend who is quite keen to join the Genki I group (has been learning hiragana + katakana), and since you said that was subject to numbers, was hoping to put his name down for it early to hopefully make sure it runs!

1 Like

I’ve sent the owner of Nihongo Tea Room your request and I think I’ll get an answer tomorrow the latest.

Since your friend wishes to join the Genki I group, if they install Second Life and make an account today or tomorrow, it will be exactly 2 weeks by the 15th January :smiley: Yes, we finally have the exact dates and I’ll update my post above accordingly.

3 Likes

I’ve just seen Yoshi Sensei’s new updates yesterday on Nihongo Tea Room’s private Facebook Group (you’ll be added after your first day of attendance in class) regarding the Genki 1 and Genki 2 activities coming soon. I’ll copy and paste them below and update my first post above too.

BEGINNER JAPANESE 1

January 15, Saturday
9:00 pm (JST)
Break the ice!
Please introduce yourself (Japanese or English).
Let’s practice reading Hiragana together.

JAPANESE 2

1月 8日 土曜日 午後10時(JST),
January 8, Saturday

みなさん、あけましておめでとうございます。
今年もよろしくおねがいします。
さぁ、スタートしますよ!

【GENKI2】
Lesson13 アルバイト探し(Looking for a Part-time Job)のダイアログを読みましょう。

・30ページと31ページのGrammar 1 Potential Verbsを読んでおいてください。

4 Likes

Okay I am ready for the 15th! Put me on the list >:)

2 Likes

Thank you to those who have responded earlier here in this thread and via Second Life’s IM. If you’ve sent me a message there, I’ve read them and gave your Second Life username to the Nihongo Tea Room owner. Sorry for my late response there as I only login once a week on average and will try to reply ASAP, but rest assured that your username is being added to the safelist.

The same goes for anyone who has expressed their interest to join under this thread. You have been added to the list and we’ll be waiting for you to come over to Second Life with your registered SL username. It would be great if you could edit your reply here and write your SL username too.

If it’s not too much, mentioning your country would help too (Nihongo Tea Room owner is making a list of participants in Excel) - but it’s not compulsory if you’re concerned about privacy in this forum as we’ll have our introductions in class anyway, so it could be added later.

And the most important but unfortunate announcement is that I’ll have to end any more new registrations for now, or there might not be enough space in Nihongo Tea Room garden for everyone who has responded earlier (the owner joked that we might need a stadium! :sweat_smile:). We worry it might be hard to have a good learning experience if it’s too crowded.

But if there’s any new openings, I’ll definitely post again. The least crowded option at the moment is the weekly Shiritori Japanese x English Language exchange activity every Friday at 10.30pm JST. It’s happening in Nihongo Tea Room as well, and I think you don’t have to register or give your Second Life username to join this activity.

It is less-structured compared to learning via Genki textbook but it will be good as another Japanese speaking exercise. This activity has the most Japanese native speakers attending in Nihongo Tea Room due to them wanting to brush up their English while casually teaching you Japanese.

Sincere apology for those who aren’t able to join this Genki study group anymore but I personally think there are more efficient ways to learn Japanese than this. All the best in everyone’s learning journey and thank you for your time reading this. :bowing_woman:

I’ll be adding this same announcement at the top of this thread.

I don’t know how to manually close a thread, so I’m just gonna try my luck and tag @moderators for this. Sorry for the trouble and thanks in advance!

1 Like