should

Structure

• Verb + はずだ
  • いAdj + はずだ
  • Noun + の・はずだ
  • なAdj + な・はずだ

[strong expectation]

View on Bunpro

Does this require だ? Some sentences I see it used other it’s not. Is it just preference?

@Johnathan-Weir Hey! だ is added to emphasize or affirm the proceeding statement. だ also comes across as more masculine; women are less likely to use it. This means that adding だ can make the statement sound a bit harsh/blunt, so if you want to sound softer in your delivery, it might be better to omit it. To sum up, while it is not required, だ helps give はず that extra oomph that you might be looking to convey when using it. Cheers!

1 Like

That’s what I figured based on previous knowledge of だ and that makes sense since I was watching Japanese Ammo when I first heard it.

Might be good info to add under the [strong expectation] tag.

Could this somehow be the はず as in 外?
Or am I looking too much into this.

1 Like

Hey :grin:

The kanji for はず are:

But it is really cool that you are looking deep into things, that way you can understand much more!

Cheers, :+1:

2 Likes

I’d love it if a little side note was added about what kanji could be used for the grammar. It sometimes helps making much more sense of the grammar point.

3 Likes

Hey :grin:

According to the great suggestion, I have added the information to the grammar point!

Cheers,

PS
Sorry for late answer (basically I have been sick for last few weeks :frowning: )

3 Likes

Perhaps the grammar point should just be はず? In the examples used in Genki it uses はずです and the DBJG item is just はず giving examples that use both だ and です.

The structure section could be rephrased as はず + ( だ/です)

There is a Japanese Ammo video for this.

https://youtu.be/a2XeZexCuco