ているあいだに - Grammar Discussion

While

During the time that ~

Structure

• Verb[ て・いる ] + 間・に

[The subject of A and B does not have to be the same・Events of A and B do not have to be occurring at the same time. However, B must occur on the same timeframe as A]

View on Bunpro

Whats the difference in usage between this and ながら

3 Likes

Not sure if this explanation is 100% correct but it helped me:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/6pgsgw/what_is_the_difference_between_ながら間にうちにand_つつ/dkp6ggg/

1 Like

A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar says:

If the subjects of the main and subordiante clauses are identical and if the verbs are actions verbs, 間 can be replaced by ながら but with different meaning.

I think if you were to say in Japanese ‘I went for a run whilst listening for music’ you would use 間 as the subject is the same, you can use ながら as well but the main clause ‘went for a run’ is the focus, at least that is how I understand it, I may be wrong.

1 Like

In some cases we can use ていた間に if the sentence is past tense but some sentence won’t. Is there any particular reason for this?

Also, if both are an option, is one way preferred?

4 Likes

@Johnathan-Weir

Hey :blush:

It points that action expressed by verbていた has already been completed at the moment of speech.

So it means:
ジムに行っていた間に、君はいったい何してたんだ。
(What the heck were you doing while I was at the gym?)

But, in this case:
ジムに行っている間に、君はいったい何してたんだ。
also means
(What the heck were you doing while I was at the gym?), because the tense is expressed at the end of the sentence anyway. So if the action at the end was finished and it took place during the 間に action then obviously 間に is also finished.

I wouldn’t use ていた間に when talking about the present or future though.
Using ている間に is generally much more common.

By the way, verb[た]+間に is not used.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

4 Likes

Why is ハイキングしている間に狼の鳴き声が聞こえた。wrong? Do particles have to be dropped before 間に?

I have difficulty in comparing ている間に and ているところ, when shall i use them, or are they very similar or the same? I always mixed up the answer during review.