にきがつく - Grammar Discussion

to notice
to realize

Structure

• Verb + こと・に・気・が・つく
  • Noun + に・気・が・つく

[気がつく can be contracted to 気づく, making it more casual]

View on Bunpro

I have noticed that the examples for this, in casual form, always conjugate the negative cases to 気がついていなかった. For example:

• 今日は母の誕生日だ! 気がついていなかった
  • 先生が話し終わったのは 気がついていなかった です。

However, the positive examples are not 気がついていた, but the ordinary positive casual conjugation, 気がついた:

• 時計を見て、もう4時間が経ったこと に気がついた
  • 帰って来た時(とき)卵を買うことを忘れたこと に気がついた

The only example given in the polite form is a positive conjugation “自分のミスのこと に気がつきました か。” Would the polite negative use “気がつきませんでした” or “気がついていませんでした”?

Thanks for any insights anyone might have, and I apologise for any sleep deprivation induced typos.

4 Likes

これが最後(さいご)の問題(もんだい)だと言(い)うことにきがついていなかった
In this sentence, I can’t figure out what the 言(い)う is for. Is it supposed to be that they hadn’t noticed someone say that it was the last question? Thanks.

Pretty sure it’s just a nominalizer: https://www.bunpro.jp/grammar_points/185

Ah, I’ve not seen that one yet - thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

I just got a review wrong with きがつけなかった and don’t know why so would also appreciate if someone could shed some light on this.

Edit: Ah never mind. It’s つく not つける.

1 Like

I was curious if there was a difference between using に気がついていなかった vs に気がついなかった?

I think this might be a typo, but, the main difference between 気が付く and 気を付ける is the transitivity in each of them. On one you realize as its mostly due to external stimulus that you came to the conclusion, and on the other you put attention or care into something.

Hope this helps!

I just added this grammar point to my review pool and was looking at the “Examples” tab. It appears that there isn’t a single example sentence that uses this grammar point in the form that it is originally delivered. And all three of the sentences in the “Details” tab under “Information” use this grammar point in a past tense. Why wont you give us a sentence using this grammar point in the form you advertise it. Why are you scared.
文法をがありないのに気が付いた

Are 気がつく and 気づく effectively synonymous? Is the latter just more colloquial?

I was wondering the same thing. I was only familiar with 気づく prior to this lesson and there’s no mention of it on bunpro.

Edit: I’m seeing now that 気づくis accepted as an alternative answer in reviews, so I guess that answers my question. I think it would be helpful if both forms were presented in the grammar point explanation though.

Hello, I had a question regarding this grammar point. I found that one of the example sentences listed on the grammar point 以外 has the following sentence:

そのこと以外気がついていなかった。

How come they don’t use the に particle following 以外 like they teach us with the grammar structure for に気が付く ?

Hey @drakeling !

Just like other particles in Japanese, the に can be omitted in certain situations, especially in a casual conversation like the example sentence!

We have just reviewed this example sentence and because we do not teach に気が付く until lesson 10 and いがい is taught in lesson 5 of N4, we have changed this sentence to 彼は言われたこと以外何もしないよ。( He will not do anything other than what he is told.), which only include grammar points taught up to that point!

Thank you for pointing this sentence out and I hope I answered your question! :grinning: