ようになる - Grammar Discussion

to reach the point that

Structure

• Verb + よう・に・なる
  • Verb[ ない ] + よう・に・なる

View on Bunpro

どんどん日本語聞き取れるようになってきた。
Shouldn’t this example use が instead of を, since. the verb is in potential form?

1 Like

Hey :grinning:

Either can be used with potential forms, though が is MUCH more common and considered more natural, so I have replaced it to が :+1:

PS
(Exception is できる which is only used with が like ゲームをする →ゲームができる)

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello, @Pushindawood !

I’ve been searching for a grammar point regarding the Verb[negative tense]+なる, however, since I couldn’t find it directly this ようになる grammar point is the most closely related one that I found.
One of the sources listed contains one such example sentence (http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/surunaru#Using_and_with_verbs):
地下に入って、富士山が見えなくなった。
After going underground, Fuji-san became not visible.

However there isn’t any additional explanation why instead of this phrase:
見えないようになった
this one is used:
見えなくなった
What is the difference in usage (apart from the obvious absence of ように) between these two?

Is this「なくなる 」construction listed below a certain grammar point and I just couldn’t find it?

I’ve found this source as well: http://selftaughtjapanese.com/2014/03/04/japanese-useful-construct-なくなる-ex-しなくなる)/

@kipufogogaz Hey! Thank you for your question. Currently, Bunpro does not have a dedicated grammar point for the なくなる construction. The closest thing that you might be able to find is になる/くなる, which uses a similar conjugation pattern to なくなる for い-adjectives.

見えないようになった more literally means “it became such a way that I was unable to see it.” While this sounds a bit strange in English, ように focuses on the “in a such a way” and softens the delivery of the sentence.

見えなくなった simply means “became unable to see.”

なくなる is a good grammar point to add to the list of possible future additions to the site. Cheers!

1 Like

Is there any other grammar point that covers the usage of ようになる with the dictionary form of the verb (rather than the potential form) as discussed in the Quartet textbook?

If not, could/should such usages be added to this grammar point?

This point is presented to me in N4 lesson 4. It seems to depend on the plain potential form which I haven’t studied yet; looks like I’ll get to that in lesson 8.

The “About” currently says:

To use ようになる, it will need to be added to the plain-potential, non-past form of a verb.

Clicking “potential” in that sentence gives a grammar-point popup that itself indicates that I haven’t studied it yet:

Later there’s a Caution that says:

we will need to remember that する does not have a potential form

It might be a bit tough to remember if I haven’t learned that yet :slight_smile: have I got something wrong in my own lesson order, or does this seem out of order with plain-potential verbs?

4 Likes

Yep, I just reached this point and am also a bit confused on the matter.

3 Likes

Yes, that is a bit confusing. I mean I just learn the the point from lesson 8 first i guess but it would be good if it would be rearranged in the bunpro N4 deck at least.

2 Likes