them・they
these・those

Structure

• Pronoun +

:warning: Spoken casual
Can be considered rude

View on Bunpro

I have a couple of questions about this point:

• There doesn’t seem to be a ~たち point. Should it be part of this point?
  • The linked stack exchange page and others highlight how -ら/-たち are not pure pluralizers, but rather mean “et al” or “and their group”. Assuming this holds, it should probably be mentioned. The examples have 俺ら and that certainly doesn’t fit the listed “them・they・these・those” meanings.
  • The grammar point says it only applies to pronouns, but other grammar points have examples that use -ら for sentient nouns (e.g. 子供らが怖がらないように頼むよ on the ように言う page). Shouldn’t that be mentioned?
  • I’ve found this page super useful for understanding the usage of -ら and -たち, so it would be nice to have it linked in the grammar point, though other pages on that site are potentially NSFW, so it’s understandable if that’s a problem.
1 Like

Hey :grinning:

たち deserves grammar point on its own, it is on to-do-list.

Done :+1:
If you think that it can be improved, feel free to write :slight_smile:

I think that we will add ら2 that will cover it in more broad sense.

I would like to, but we are keeping it clean, “it’s a family show”. Though, everybody that checks forum will see your post and the link :grin:

Thank you for the feedback,
Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve heard that while これら/それら/あれら exist that they’re not used very often outside of formal writing and the あれら is only used in English translation.

And that これ/それ/あれ can be used plurally just fine.

Any thoughts on this?

That’s exactly right! これ・それ・あれ and like any noun for that matter, inherit their gender/plurality or singularity from context.

This doesn’t mean that the ~ら isn’t needed, but sometimes it’s needed to clarify the context.

1 Like