たらどう - Grammar Discussion

why don’t you

Structure
Verb[ た・ら ] + どう・です・か
Verb[ た・ら ] + どうだ
Verb[ た・ら ] + どう
Verb[ た・ら ] ?

[suggestion/advice, can be used to indirectly criticize someone(or can be interpreted as criticism, even if there is no such intention!) for not already taking suggested action, less direct than Verb[ば]+いい]

View on Bunpro

If I understand correctly, this literally translates to “what if you did ___?”, which retains the meaning of giving advice and potential criticism, but is much easier to connect.

3 Likes

Hey :grinning:

Yes, it is very good English approximation :+1:

Cheers,

3 Likes

I see the following constructions listed:

〜たらどうですか。
〜たらどう?
〜たら?

Why isn’t 〜たらどうだ? among them?

3 Likes

@Melanthe

Hey and thanks for the suggestion!
It has been added to the grammar point and alternative answers!

Cheers! :+1:

3 Likes

Can this construction be used with the えば conditional form?

1 Like

I think it sounds more natural, too.

“ダイエットをしてみたらどう”

“What if you tried dieting” sounds more gentle, as it seems intended.

All of theexample sentences use the English “Why don’t you…” (try dieting, go outside to play, etc.)…which is right as well, I’m sure, but if “what if…” is more accurate, should the English be changed, making reviews a tad easier?

I didn’t want to take up everyone’s time by flagging each one unless it matters. I’m not fluent so I don’t quite trust my own judgement. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Since it can be used to express criticsm, isn’t it better to just never use this? Or am seeing this term as worse than it actually is?

1 Like

@Pep95
You might be seeing too much in it, but there is actually a way to avoid most of the misunderstandings:

Just use てたら:
like ~てみたらどうかな or ~てみてもいいと思う and so on

Of course, something like もうやめたらどう might be missunderstood

2 Likes

I think this video does a good job of showing the positive and negative connotations of this grammar point. Readingsに加えたらどうですか?ww

2 Likes

@Johnathan-Weir Thank you for the share! I have added this video to the Readings section. Cheers!

2 Likes

Why is there no object particle in this case?
そんなに暇(ひま)だったら、アルバイトさがしたらどう

1 Like

Hey and long time no see! @CrisH :partying_face:

Good question!
In more casual language を particle is often dropped. This is the case of this.

I hope it helps,
Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks - I got a bit swamped with other stuff, but now I’m back for life!

Is this equivalent to using する-verbs without it then?

Sorry, i know It’s been asked before in this thread but I have not seen it answered, can we use the ば conditional with this construction or the nuance would be different?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link! :grinning: