いがい - Grammar Discussion

except・besides
other than
with the exception of

Structure

• Noun + 以外
  • Verb + 以外

View on Bunpro

The structure says this can be used by verbs, but all the examples are using nouns. Would be great to have some verb examples.

1 Like

We are gonna do something about it :+1:
Very soon.

I’m not sure when I can use いがい vs ほか? I keep making that mistake in my reviews.

1 Like

ほか just means ‘other’ whereas いがい puts focus on what you’re contrasting, so it means ‘other than’ or ‘besides’.

So, to make an example:
ほかの店で買いたい。“I want to buy at another store”
Maybe you’re talking about the same brand, but at that branch they’ve run out of the thing.

店以外で買いたい。“I want to buy at any other shop but this one”
You’re dead set on NOT buying on this store. Everywhere is fine as long as its not here.

Hope that helps!

so, I got this one marked wrong but it’s hard to tell what’s wrong about the に here compared to some of the other examples provided:

I recognize this grammar point only ever asks for 以外 itself and provides the particles as part of the sentence rather than the answer, but this also leads to a small amount of confusion in edge cases like this.

Hi, what does this part in the sentences mean or does it come from a grammar point?

The adverb こう means “like this”. Like これ/それ/あれ/どれ there are こう/そう/ああ/どう.

こう見えても as a whole means something like “despite appearances”.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve never seen it in that combination before.

I have a question about an example sentence.

今日()和食()いがいのものが()べたい。
Today I want to eat something other than Japanese food.

The use of 以外 here is actually straightforward. I’m having trouble understanding the particles のもの。What are they doing in this sentence?

1 Like

Only one particle there, the first の. Following that is もの as in 物 thing. 以外の物 “a thing other than”

1 Like

AHA! :woman_facepalming: it makes perfect sense now! Thank you!

1 Like

I like that the “Fun Fact” points out 意外 as a different いがい than 以外, but when I read the tip
以外いがい is also regularly used simply as an expression of surprise”
it makes it sound like 以外 is correct kanji… feel like it could be worded better.

I wonder if might also be useful to note that you can easily tell the difference when spoken because they have different pitch accents? i.e. with 以外 falling on the い and 意外 going up on the い.