でございます - Grammar Discussion

to be (humble)

Structure

• です → でございます

[humble です]

View on Bunpro

I don’t quite understand why we use でござる in the sentence:
ただいま校長先生が留守 でございます

In the dictionary we can see that 留守 goes with verbs like (に)する. Is 留守でございます some kind of fixed expression used in honorific language when we talk about our superior being somewhere else (not necessarily home)?

2 Likes

Sorry for the classic grammar point thread necro, but…

I’m pretty sure there is nothing special about pairing 留守 with でございます. 留守 can also be used as a noun, in which case it takes a copula, and if you want a really polite version, then でございます is one way to express it, which happened in this example.
Though I welcome any correction on this one ofc.

What I’m confused about is the prompt that I don’t think I’ve seen before on this point’s questions.
Why is the prompt “Kenjougo” (謙譲語)now?

The lesson doesn’t really mention 謙譲語 at all, and instead it classifies (as most sources, also in-line with jisho) でございます as a polite copula. It’s rather polite speech (丁寧語) and isn’t the prompt a bit misleading in this case?

There is also a stack reply on the matter:

The above converges on the notion that it’s a misconception; namely でございます being considered 謙譲語。I think the prompt here on bunpro should at least be in-line with the lesson content IM(H)O :smiley: .

Tense hints have just recently been updated. You can read about them here

The lesson does mention that it’s 敬語 under details. I don’t see anything wrong with it’s classification of humble speech, but maybe someone else can clarify

2 Likes