とかんがえられている - Grammar Discussion

Is considered
Is thought of as

Structure

• Phrase + と考えられている
  • Phrase + と思われている

View on Bunpro

How doe these two phrases compare with とされている?

Structure is bugged (should say と思われている for the second one)
grafik

1 Like

@Adarain

Fixed :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback!

Cheers

May I ask what the differences is between と考えられている and と思われている? My first thought was its to express nuance between "is considered, is thought of as " but the example sentences seem to shut that theory down. Apologies if this is obvious and I missed something.

1 Like

There is an informational note in the と考えられる entry indicating that と思られる is more subjective. The notes can be easy to overlook, though, so don’t feel bad if you missed it at first. The verbs also have a bit of a nuance difference to them as well. 思う means basically, “to think,” but is also used more subjectively, so it can also translate as, “to feel.” 考える on the other hand means something more like, “to think over, to consider.” There can be a deeper contemplation implied by 考える over 思う, which suggests a more rational, objective assessment. That being said, both verbs have many senses and a wide range of uses.

2 Likes

I also want to know the difference and no one has said…

英語はアメリカだけでなく、世界中で使われる言語とかんがえられている
英語はアメリカだけでなく、世界中で使われる言語だとかんがえられている

I’m just curious, is there a reason why the だ is optional here? (compared to seemingly similar uses of the と particle I’ve learned before)

Is that だ logically there regardless in this case or truly optional? Does it shift nuance at all?